Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ticks and tick borne illnesses

Its a bad year for ticks here. They say the winters are no longer cold enough to kil off a large percent of the population. Were spraying and doing tick checks. Still somehow I managed to get one biting me on Satuday. I pulled it off and put it in a plastic bag.

Now I have a bunch of bite-looking things all on my flank where I fulled that blood sucker from. It hurts and itches at the same time. It feels exactly like shingles- which I have had twice before.

We dont have insurance. So Im just trying ot figure out what to do. I think its too soon for a Lymes test. And I really really dont want to take the abx if I dont need it. Ive been working so hard on gut health. But I cant afford to get Lymes!!

I put a turmeric poultice on it immidiatly upon removing the tick started homeopathic ledum within about 30 hours of pulling it. Im terrified of Lymes so many people I know up here in New England have had Lymes, some have Chronic Lymes. A boy in our school has been incompasitated since Feburary with Lymes.

So its Lymes we worry about here. I know its differnt in differnt places. We only really had dog ticks in Southern Arizona growing up. I assume because there was no brush and grass for them to hide in.

I know ROcky Mountain Spotted Fever is a tick borne illness in some parts of the US. And of course ticks dont check maps to see where the broders are. My dog was diagnosed with RMSF in CT in 2013. She recovered but never got back to her full self and Ive always thought her death a year and a half later was related. She had an enlarged spleen after and it seems it never resolved. Or maybe she really did die of cancer. IDK...

ANYWAYS, ticks and Lymes have me super paranoid right now. Who else?
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ticks and tick borne illnesses

Do you still have the tick? UMass Amherst is testing ticks again this year for $15. You send it to them through the mail and I think it's only 3 days to get results.

My dh had Lyme disease (that cleared up quickly with a round of antiobiotics.) My MIL (who lives next door) had Lyme and our dog had it twice. We live in an area where it's so prevalent that doctors write the script for antibiotics before the positive test comes back. I have the kids take a shower every night if they play outside starting this time of year just so that we can check for ticks.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (05-15-2019), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Activated charcoal right away but not long term and an hour away from food or suppplements if possible . After that Bentomnite clay at site and internally which is not supposed to bind to anything but toxins and bacteria . Have read recently about green leaf stevia being a good Lyme zapper when tested in animals but no studies yet for humans. Tht is supposed to be the only healthy kind to use too

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #4
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Our county test ticks for Lyme disease. Like the medical board or whatever it is called. We just had one pulled off of Z tested (thankfully negative!). It gave me great peace of mind to have that tested. I would try that if you still have the tick. The blood test cannot be done for a month on humans I've read, so too soon for that.
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derdsgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

High dose Vitamin C for shingles. To bowel tolerance. For a week.

We did antibiotics for my son when he had the bullsveye rash after a summer outside in a tick area.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
Do you still have the tick? UMass Amherst is testing ticks again this year for $15. You send it to them through the mail and I think it's only 3 days to get results.
Do you have contact info on this? The cheapest I can find is $50...

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Activated charcoal right away but not long term and an hour away from food or suppplements if possible . After that Bentomnite clay at site and internally which is not supposed to bind to anything but toxins and bacteria . Have read recently about green leaf stevia being a good Lyme zapper when tested in animals but no studies yet for humans. Tht is supposed to be the only healthy kind to use too
using clay now this possible shingles possible bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
High dose Vitamin C for shingles. To bowel tolerance. For a week.
Awesome. I have all the stuff for vit c mega dosing! I'll start that ASAP. That's probably good for either Lyme's or shingles. It seems to be good for everything.

Also starting l-lysine (?) soon for the possible shingles.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Well, crap. The info I had was old. I'm really sorry!

I looked it up and it's $50 this year. They had a federal grant last year that dropped the price to $15, but the grant must not have been renewed for this year.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I admit to being completely obsessed with Vitamin C. It does seem to work for everything.

Even the researchers are interested in it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22460093/
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #9
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

We need a lot more hunters. The density of the deer population is out of control. It's creating more roadway hazards and spreading tick-borne illnesses. I was at a campground last year and the deer were wandering right through our campsites with their fat twins following.

Do you know my Kentuckian, rural grandfather never ate venison until late in his life? In his day, deer were so rare, you were just glad to see one.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKids View Post
The density of the deer population is out of control. It's creating more roadway hazards and spreading tick-borne illnesses.
Ironically, though, the more deer ticks feed on deer the less infectious they get, because deer aren't hosts for Lyme. It's when the deer ticks move on to rodents and birds that they can pick up the infection. Definitely a multifaceted issue of overlapping populations.
Aerynne (05-15-2019), JoannaV (05-15-2019), Soliloquy (05-15-2019), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry. I absolutely loathe ticks. We have tons of ticks but I have yet to see a deer tick out here. But you're right, other types can carry other diseases.

Do you know how long the tick was attached to you? Were you able to identify it?

Very interesting about deer ticks, deer, and other hosts. The deer are the local pests here, over population from natural predators being killed. But I'm glad that means less chance of Lyme, at least.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #12
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Colloidal silver very effective against Lyme

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 05-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #13
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

So, the bentonite clay really dried things out. So quickly infact that I cant imagine its really shingles. Before I thought it was shingles, it seemed like the tick pit be several times in the same area before attaching. I dont have any other bug bites so its odd.

How should I dose with the silver? Im pretty sure I have that on hand too.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #14
mamacat
Rose Garden

Let me see if I can find the info for that

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

This explains how it works but this person was getting an IV of it so doesnt help with oral dosing. Let me look some more https://www.healingwell.com/communit...f=30&m=1302368

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C