Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   Anatomy Physiology Textbook (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530376)

arelyn 09-12-2022 04:35 AM

Anatomy Physiology Textbook

DS1 has a giant Anatomy Physiology coloring book which he loves. We're looking for an interesting textbook to learn more. High school or college level would be fine. Any recommendations (or books you didn't like so we can skip those)?

knitlove 09-12-2022 05:22 AM

Re: Anatomy Physiology Textbook

If you want information beyond names don't get a collage anatomy book. We have one but it is just pictures and labels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Aerynne 09-12-2022 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6274729)
If you want information beyond names don't get a collage anatomy book. We have one but it is just pictures and labels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That is what anatomy is- pictures and labels. Physiology is what the functions are and how everything works. Pathophysiology (my personal favorite) is what different things can go wrong, how things work when they are not working.

Unfortunately I do not have a specific recommendation as I took those courses long ago. The one we did buy for my kids, Paradigm Accelerated Learning, I do not recommend. No color pictures at all. Maybe I’m secretly five years old, but the pictures matter to me a lot.

RiverRock 09-12-2022 07:03 AM

I recently discovered a website called z-library dot org that has a lot of free textbooks and other academic titles available. I downloaded a PDF file of textbook last week. My book is the second most recent edition and not the best resolution, but good enough for my purposes. You might find something current and interesting about anatomy there.

ViolaMum 09-12-2022 07:31 AM

Ellen McHenry has some good ones for HS/MS students. We've done The Brain, and I own Mapping the Body, but we haven't done it yet. The Brain was a lot of fun!

All of her curricula is flexible, content-rich and super creative with games and activities. (It's just very specific in content area and not geared toward a 36 week school year.) We've done Botany and are using The Elements currently.

Most of the HS level Anatomy and Physiology curricula that I looked at last year required an anatomy coloring book, so if you already have one, I would think a text with pictures isn't necessary. PAC that Aerynne mentioned is super well-organized for teaching, although a little light on information, but also super cheap if you buy the download. It might actually be a good starting point.

Have you looked at just a copy of Gray's Anatomy? We have this edition from my dh's college days.

teamommy 09-12-2022 10:05 AM

Apologia has a high school human anatomy textbook.

Guest Hollow has a high school anatomy program that looks interesting.

ViolaMum 09-12-2022 03:26 PM

The Apologia Anatomy text is actually better than their Biology textbook. It's much more thorough than PAC. Apologia is written as a whole year course, PAC a semester.

(The teaching materials still stink, though.:bag)

Soliloquy 09-14-2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arelyn (Post 6274727)
DS1 has a giant Anatomy Physiology coloring book which he loves. We're looking for an interesting textbook to learn more. High school or college level would be fine. Any recommendations (or books you didn't like so we can skip those)?

I would look at online textbook re-sellers and pick out some used ones. You can almost certainly find high school and college Human A&P textbooks for $10 or so.