Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Looking for washing machine *open to suggestions* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530648)

RealLifeMama 06-13-2023 06:26 PM

Looking for washing machine *open to suggestions*

I am looking at washing machines again.
This one seems the closest to the one we are replacing, which I loved everything about.(but it was a different brand)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-5-0-c...PNRS/311972521

I was wondering if anyone knew how CR rated it.
It shows up on some other lists as a good pick, but I wonder sometimes.
I know it says its is loud, but our old washer was loud. It sounded like a plane taking off. It didn't bother us.

Also, this is the matching dryer. We don't need a new dryer right now, but it has some issues, so I want them to match. The dryer does not have good reviews, though. So, I am hesitant.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-7-8-c...PNRS/311972508

*ETA* now that I got an answer to my original question,
what washing machines do you love/hate?

FlyingBlueKiwi 06-13-2023 06:36 PM

Re: Anyone have Consumer Reports? Looking for washing machine rating

75. Range is 67 lowest to 87 highest.

High ratings 5 of 5 for washing performance, gentleness and water efficiency.

4 of 5 for noise and vibration

3 of 5 for predicted reliability

2 of 5 for owner satisfaction

RealLifeMama 06-13-2023 06:48 PM

Thank you!!!!!!
2 our of 5 for satisfaction doesn't sound good!!!

We needed a washer very soon.

I like the fan feature, the kids and dh like the bulk detergent dispenser, and we like having the drain catch in front. (Legos!!!)
The other one I was looking at did not have a bulk dispenser nor the drain catch in front.

We do laundry for 9, and kids do their own.

RealLifeMama 06-14-2023 07:53 PM

Re: Looking for washing machine *open to suggestions*

I have been looking still.
It is so hard!
Must have:
drain catch in front
a light
fan or wash now, dry later option
steam
4.8 cu ft or larger
Easy to see and use controls.

detergent dispenser is a huge want for most of my family, but we have been using a machine that we have to add detergent each time for 6 months or so, and we are all used to it now, so I am pushing to not have that a necessity.

Don't need smart features, as I don't put appliance apps of any kind on my phones. Plus, we all wash our own clothes, so I just do mine and then family stuff (bedding, towels, etc) so my using an app is not practical anyway.

MegMarch 06-15-2023 09:43 AM

I am Team Speed Queen TR5. It's old school, no frills. It will stop running water in when you lift the lid which makes me feel like a crazy person but it's a simple hack to fix it (I've read, and then my husband did it, but I don't actually know what he did, lol.) Top load, agitator.

Katigre 06-15-2023 03:51 PM

We stayed at an airbnb last summer that had this washing machine, and I loved it so much that we got it a month after we got home. At the time we had a regular top load (central agitator) washing machine and too many people in the house sharing it (1 single adult, our family of 6, and 1 mom+infant). This one allowed all of us to get our laundry done - I could easily fit 2.5 loads into here. I still love it a year later.

https://www.lg.com/us/washers-dryers...op-load-washer

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

We did not replace our dryer, and it's done just fine. I looooove that all of our family's laundry is down to 2-3 loads a week instead of 6-8 loads.

heartofjoy 06-18-2023 05:15 AM

We have an LG top loader and dryer that we've had for several years now. I love it. It is huge. Makes for many fewer loads. Mine has controls in front unlike the one linked in the previous post.

Stuff gets cleaned. No need to sort clothes either.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

deena 06-20-2023 06:55 AM

I am fascinated to hear of this detergent dispenser option because I “invented” it (in my head) about a decade ago and now it exists! I want one. I told my husband but he said he doesn’t like buying first generation features because they have bugs or something like that. :shrug

RealLifeMama 06-20-2023 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deena (Post 6280768)
I am fascinated to hear of this detergent dispenser option because I “invented” it (in my head) about a decade ago and now it exists! I want one. I told my husband but he said he doesn’t like buying first generation features because they have bugs or something like that. :shrug

Our washer that has it is at least 12 years, so you can tell your dh it has been around for a while. But, I think it us just not a more popular feature because most people that really want convenience just use pods anyway.
My dh really likes it, and so do the kids. They were so used to it that when we had to start using my MILs machine in the basement, they kept forgetting to add detergent. :doh

Quiteria 06-24-2023 08:19 PM

Speed Queen is the one I hear the most about being a sturdy, dependable machine, but they cost a bit extra, so I've never researched features. But they are the brand that laundromats often buy for years of constant use, and what repairmen often recommend.

We have a Samsung that we've been reasonably happy with, but we've had it repaired many times.

Sundance 06-29-2023 01:41 PM

I bought a Speed Queen about 1.5 years ago & it has been great!
Is researched it years ago & landed on it as the best option.... just had to wait till I needed it!