Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   toilet cleaning (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530163)

deena 04-05-2022 08:55 AM

toilet cleaning

How do you clean toilets? I've always used paper towels just because it's so gross but I'm thinking of switching to a rag, bucket, gloves method. I have sometimes fantasized about joining a cleaning company for a week just to get properly trained because I feel like there are tricks I'm missing out on. The hinges of the seat are so darn hard to keep clean.

MudPies 04-05-2022 08:58 AM

Re: toilet cleaning

I don’t :shifty. DH does

charla 04-05-2022 09:58 AM

I use disinfecting wipes on the outside of the toilet and then go back over it with toilet paper to get rid of the lint that invariably accumulates.

rdsmommy 04-05-2022 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6268726)
I use disinfecting wipes on the outside of the toilet and then go back over it with toilet paper to get rid of the lint that invariably accumulates.

This is what I do too.

ECingMama 04-05-2022 10:42 AM

You can clean them with baby wipes every day and once a week or whatever you determine use something harsher. But it would keep the hinges clean.

RiverRock 04-05-2022 08:09 PM

I use a rag. I will first clean the sink and shower/tub, then with the same rag, starting at the top and outside of the toilet, work my way to the worst part, the underside of the toilet seat. I rinse the cloth regularly until I get to the toilet, then I fold the cloth so that each time I wipe it has a fresh side. I'm not as particular as janitors who are trained to fold the cloth in half, then in half again so there are eight sides, but that is something to Google if you want a pro-tip.

We already separate our laundry with work/farm clothes having their own basket, so I add my cleaning cloths to that load, making it easy to use a lot of cloths when I clean. If I wasn't washing work clothes as often I might use wet wipes like others do.

Most toilet seats are easily removable so they can periodically be taken off to clean more thoroughly. I once had a housecleaner who sprayed a lot of cleaner on and around the hinges, but I don't recommend that because our toilet seats would slip around when we sat on them!

twoplustwo 04-06-2022 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPies (Post 6268722)
I don’t :shifty. DH does

TEAM Dh does bathrooms.

He uses a bunch of rags when he cleans the bathrooms. I believe 1 rag per area. And a spray bottle of cleaner.

deena 04-06-2022 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6268731)
You can clean them with baby wipes every day and once a week or whatever you determine use something harsher. But it would keep the hinges clean.

Ah, so I'm not the only one who also uses the baby wipe method!

Also, loving all these helpful hubbys!

heartofjoy 04-06-2022 06:47 AM

Y'all put me to shame.

I use toilet bowl cleaner, let sit, brush and flush.

Then a rag with a natural spray. Start at the top, work to the gross parts. One rag, no folding, no gloves, and it gets washed with other towels.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 04-06-2022 09:39 AM

I use Bar Keeper's Friend inside the bowl (lots of minerals in our water).

The seat, rim, etc I spray with diluted vinegar and wipe with toilet paper, then flush. I also do this on the floor just around the toilet. I do it several times a week very quickly so it never turns into a big job.

I use baby wipes, too, if they're handy.

ECingMama 04-06-2022 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6268774)
I use Bar Keeper's Friend inside the bowl (lots of minerals in our water).

The seat, rim, etc I spray with diluted vinegar and wipe with toilet paper, then flush. I also do this on the floor just around the toilet. I do it several times a week very quickly so it never turns into a big job.

I use baby wipes, too, if they're handy.

I'm so glad someone else admits to using toilet paper! I rarely use anything other than toilet paper.

Singingmom 04-12-2022 06:06 PM

Team toilet paper here. I wouldn’t write a book on how to clean a toilet, but it works. I scour the bowl with a brush first, don’t flush, drop in the wads of tp as I move from section to section, top to bottom, then flush.

KarenBoo 04-13-2022 12:57 PM

Before my injury where I lost the ability to do this, I would do a Flylady "swish and swipe" every time I took a shower. I would be naked and do this while my shower warms up. That way, anything that's gross that flew out of the toilet onto me will get washed off immediately.

Basically, I would swish the toilet bowl - sometimes plain water, sometimes with cleaner. And I would baby wipe swipe something. I didn't always clean the whole thing - just whatever needed doing that day that could be done in less than a minute.

So when I did my weekly toilet wipe down, it was never really that dirty. That got done with my rags and homemade cleaning spray.

Now my toilet is a source of arguments because I can not clean my own toilet bowl. I'm used to a clean bowl with no ring or film in it, and DH will only clean it every couple of weeks.:sick I can still wipe it down, but I still get so mad seeing that nasty film in the toilet!

ECingMama 04-13-2022 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBoo (Post 6269074)
Before my injury where I lost the ability to do this, I would do a Flylady "swish and swipe" every time I took a shower. I would be naked and do this while my shower warms up. That way, anything that's gross that flew out of the toilet onto me will get washed off immediately.

Basically, I would swish the toilet bowl - sometimes plain water, sometimes with cleaner. And I would baby wipe swipe something. I didn't always clean the whole thing - just whatever needed doing that day that could be done in less than a minute.

So when I did my weekly toilet wipe down, it was never really that dirty. That got done with my rags and homemade cleaning spray.

Now my toilet is a source of arguments because I can not clean my own toilet bowl. I'm used to a clean bowl with no ring or film in it, and DH will only clean it every couple of weeks.:sick I can still wipe it down, but I still get so mad seeing that nasty film in the toilet!

there's some no scrub ideas here, like a can of coke in there for an hour

https://www.washroomtips.com/remove-...out-scrubbing/

I'm sorry about your injury.

KarenBoo 04-13-2022 01:13 PM

Actually, that's a great idea! I especially love the vinegar idea because DH *hates* that smell! :giggle:giggle:shifty

I'll give it a try, but I already do put in my homemade bath bombs (citric acid and baking soda), and they don't do anything alone. They do fine with the scrubbing. (But, so does plain water.)

But maybe the vinegar will clue him in more! muahahahaha!!

Little Forest 04-15-2022 05:57 AM

I do most of my cleaning with microfiber cloths and vinegar so that is what I use on the toilet. Then the cloth goes to the laundry and I wash all the cloths together when I am nearly out of them. I get some eco friendly cleaner to clean the bowl with and do all of this once a week.