Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Vitamin D FAQ :) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=348915)

DancingWithElves 06-30-2011 11:51 AM

Re: Vitamin D FAQ :)

the "acceptable" range with 30 at the bottom is only for some of more old-school western docs. not even my family practice likes my numbers. breastfeeding mom with a number of health conditions, i ought to have a much higher number. so, i went from 23 to 32. either that or the less-than-helpful office staff looked at the old result and reversed the numbers :lol I'm making a follow-up anyway, it'll be good to chat with the doc.

SamRose 06-30-2011 11:53 AM

I know it's not a great number, but the increase was better than nothign, I thought. :kiss

Thia 09-03-2011 06:35 AM

My Vitamin D was at 22. Dr prescribed 5000 units per day. What is the best way to take it? Do I take it all at once or spread it out? I'm still breastfeeding? Is that okay? Anything else I need to know?

DancingWithElves 09-03-2011 10:57 AM

:hug re-read the OP, brastfeeding mothers requiring supplementation should take 10,000 a day. with a level of 22 (and you are shooting for a robust 60 or so to protect you and your nurseling from infections) you should for sure take 10,000 and re-test in 3 months or so.
i am not aware of a need to spread it out. oil-based drops seem to be most well-absorbed.

Thia 09-03-2011 11:29 AM

Thanks Irene. I read the thread through about a week ago when the doctor said he thought this was the problem and due to my levels being so low, I forgot almost everything I read. I can't wait to not have foggy brain anymore! I did get oil based capsules and started taking them. I just had a sudden panic this morning...have I said I can't wait to be better? I'm scheduled for a retest in Nov.

DancingWithElves 09-03-2011 11:45 AM

:giggle, boy can i relate, i hate foggy brain!!!

jblairosu 09-13-2011 11:02 PM

I just got my lab results back and my vit d was 23. I've been prescribed 50000units 3 times a week for 12 weeks and then go back in for a re-test. Does that sound right? DS2 is 18 months and still nursing...will that be okay for him? Do I need to worry about having him tested as well?

Doctor also wants me to do a bone density scan in a month. Have any of you had that done?

Also, my cholesterol was a bit high. The hdl and triglycerides were "normal" but the ldl was 121. Is that in any way related?

I'm so grateful and thankful that you ladies are so smart! I don't know what I'd do without you!

abbiroads 09-14-2011 03:51 AM

Why does he want to do a bone density scan? Just because of the Vit D? Mine was lower than that and no one brought up any extra testing.

I did take the 50000IU perscription for a while, but the perscription is D2 so I switched to a oil based D3 supplement after 3 mo.

jblairosu 09-14-2011 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbiroads (Post 4159461)
Why does he want to do a bone density scan? Just because of the Vit D? Mine was lower than that and no one brought up any extra testing.

Yes, I think it's just because of the low Vit D. :shrug3

abbiroads 09-14-2011 05:55 AM

I'd ask more questions.

DancingWithElves 09-14-2011 08:13 AM

for me it would be a no on bone density, unless you are over 60, i'm assuming you are not.

if you are comfortable with d2 after reading through the thread, by all means, go ahead :)

*i* would get a much better quality d3 and dose myself starting at 10,000 per day, and re-test in a month. 10,000 is what every mother should get every day while pg and bf.

jblairosu 09-14-2011 09:59 AM

What's the concern with the bone density test? I'm 30, definitely not over 60 ;) ...although it feels like it some days!

DancingWithElves 09-14-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblairosu (Post 4160275)
What's the concern with the bone density test? I'm 30, definitely not over 60 ;) ...although it feels like it some days!

first of all, why is he doing it? any time there is a test, i need to know a) why b) then what?

if you have a very rare condition that causes loss of bone mass at your age, you should know about it. :shrug3

it is a radiation exposure, and an expense, if not to you, then to the insurance company.

jblairosu 09-14-2011 11:36 AM

I have a call in to him so we'll see what he says...

Oh, and just in case anyone was curious, here is how the following professionals responded to my question "is it safe to breastfeed while taking the prescribed d2:"

pharmacist: well, I don't think there's any chance of harm to the baby...it's fine there's nothing it could do to him but check with your doctor

nurse at my son's pediatrician: I'm not sure but it says only moderately safe so you should pump and discard your milk and actually stop breastfeeding altogether because it's probably not safe

my son's pediatrician: it's fine just monitor baby for any changes

nurse at my doctor's office: I'm not sure, ask the pharmacist

my doctor: I'm still waiting to hear back from him

Really people!?!?!?! Is it this difficult to figure this out!?!?!?!

DancingWithElves 09-14-2011 12:05 PM

geniuses :sh5

the levels of your milk's vit D are going to correspond to your blood's levels. but not exactly. with exception of alcohol, and a few other things, there is less of the substance in the milk, than in the blood.

women deficient in vit D make milk deficient in vit D.

unless you go toxic, your milk will have its levels of vit D restored to where they are supposed to be.

none of the professionals you are talking to have EVER been educated sufficiently in human lactation :no

Hale's may have some info, but i don't own one.