Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Canning / Preserving *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=549)
-   -   Canning newbie, help me buy my equipment (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=504659)

Soliloquy 06-22-2014 08:16 AM

Re: Canning newbie, help me buy my equipment

I'm going to do it this week! My largest element is too small for the SS canner so I'm getting a stand-alone electric coil and the beginner canning set. I have marionberries, cane sugar, pectin, and jars!

I also have a Ball preserving book. :tu

Amber 06-23-2014 09:51 AM

I can on my glass top range :shifty I mostly do applesauce. I break all the "rules" for using a glass top range though. My canning pot doesn't have a flat bottom, and is 1.5-2 inches bigger than my biggest burner :bag I have been doing it on this stove for 5 years, and at our previous house (same model stove) for at least 2 years.

But...I also wouldn't be devastated if I broke my stove :shifty It is a very low in model and while it works perfectly fine, it doesn't have some of the features that would make my life easier. The people who lived here before us also scratched up the top of it :doh

When I get a new stove I will probably use my big propane camping stove to do my canning.

Soliloquy 07-02-2014 04:32 PM

I have several friends who can on their glass-top stove. I absolutely HATE my cooktop. Hate it. But we just cannot replace it right now so I don't dare try.

Anyway, I bought that single element stand-alone electric coil for $15. It cannot be used for canning. :doh I had my canner on that thing for over an hour and it never boiled. I finally realized why. Even on "high," it cycles on and off. :rolleyes I was able to return it. Dh looked online and there isn't a single, stand-alone electric coil that is capable of canning. So, FYI, if anyone is looking for one, get propane.

But, I remembered :doh that I have a small electric (coil) stove in my kids' room (we have a MIL suite above our garage and that's where they sleep). So, that's become my canning kitchen. I canned my marionberry jam up there and it turned out! :woohoo