Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Can we talk about anti-inflammatory diets? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529535)

The Tickle Momster 05-18-2021 12:40 PM

Can we talk about anti-inflammatory diets?

I think I need to do this. I'm in pain and I don't like admitting it. I can still function and I feel like I'm too young to be dealing with this much discomfort. It is not all in my head.

My hip hurts. We suspect a torn labrum along with bursitis.

My hands hurt. I know I have CT issues. I am also starting to suspect neuropathy. Need to do more research on that.

Today my back hurts. I slept funny one day last week. Heading in to the chiro this afternoon and hoping that helps.

So, tell me what you know, what I need to know and where to start.

bananacake 05-18-2021 01:24 PM

Re: Can we talk about anti-inflammatory diets?

I have done Paleo, full AIP, Whole30 - you name it, I've done it. I will say the only one that helped was a full, thorough, not-mail-order food sensitivities panel. This was a blood test I did through my naturopath.

SewingGreenMama 05-18-2021 01:40 PM

I agree with bananacake. I have not done it personally, but my best friend has several AI. She tried all of the autoimmune diets. She saw no improvement with any of them. She got a blood test through her Auto-immune informed dietitian and found out that she reacts very strongly to chicken and sweet potatoes. Which of course are two of the most common foods on unfocused autoimmune diets.
She started eating only foods that were tested 100% safe for her and saw huge improvements. After several months of only eating the safe foods, she started introducing the slightly less safe foods, one a time, and slowly built her diet from there testing things to see what she would react to and what she wouldn't react to.
She then went to a naturopath, and got some other diagnosis that started really turning lights onto some of the roots of her health.
She is healing. She is getting better. But it is still slow going.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

HomeWithMyBabies 05-18-2021 03:02 PM

IMO the simplest way to start, which really isn't simple atall, but easier than any certain diet would be to cut out sugar completely and see how you feel. If it helps you could fine tune from there.

heartofjoy 05-18-2021 05:05 PM

Sugar makes me hurt. Like arthritis in my hands mostly. I've been trying to give it up for years. I'm not making much forward progress, but it's become extremely apparent that it's definitely sugar that causes the pain.

I've been intermittent fasting for 2 years. So much of my pain is gone. I eat in a 6 hour window every day and I only have plain water or plain coffee outside of that time. Pain areas that have resolved: scar tissue, knee, bunion, Achilles tendon, arches, elbows, carpel tunnel, and hip. Now I only deal with pain in my hands if I binge on sugar.

The only thing I know about autoimmune diets is that I probably would not be successful sticking to one!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 05-18-2021 11:27 PM

I take Qunol brand curcumin and drink tart cherry juice. My doctor says tart cherry juice capsules work better than NSAIDS for inflammatory pain.

I know many people who have done the diets but only a few who felt better. They are very restrictive and that, all by itself, usually results in some weight loss, but it's not necessarily going to result in a lower percentage of body fat. You will likely also catabolize lean body mass.

Processed foods and oils high in omega 6 are the things I would minimize. I would also minimize European olive oil sad it's rarely pure olive oil.

BestLaidPlans 05-19-2021 05:35 AM

I do an anti-inflammatory diet, as well as does one of my daughters. I can’t type much now, so I will be back when I can. But I will say that it has done wonders for my body.

MrsHutch 05-19-2021 07:22 AM

In my early 20's, I had really severe arthritis in my knees thanks to a whole childhood/adolescence of cheerleading and being the catcher on my softball team. I know that gluten causes/exacerbates inflammation, and since I went gluten free 10 years ago, I haven't had a moment's arthritis pain.

ECingMama 05-28-2021 08:14 PM

It’s sugar for me. I can’t eat any white sugar. I was able to go off without a big detox using amino acids.

I don’t seem to be affected by gluten or dairy. I thought both were issues. I limit both anyway.

BestLaidPlans 05-29-2021 08:42 AM

As I said in a previous reply, I follow a non-inflammatory diet.

What I’ve found out is that my body is sensitive to a lot of things. Looking back, I know that I have never tolerated dairy well, but didn’t know those signs until things got bad in adulthood.

Also as an adult, I suddenly started having allergies and asthma. Then years later, my face would swell up everY morning. And then I got all sorts of aches, pains, dizzy spells, vision problems, muscle spasms, sleep problems, nerve issues. The numbness in my face started a journey of discovery for me. To the best of my research and knowledge, after many doctor appointments, I suspect that I have the beginnings of MS.

The long and short of it is - I eat a more strict anti-inflammatory diet, but I have more sensitivities than others do, so what I do isn’t what most people would do. For example- the morning facial swelling I have figured out is a reaction to latex cross-reactive foods. I cannot have foods with latex in them unless I’ve cooked them thoroughly and with high heat so that the heat can destroy the latex. Latex is in most fruits and some veggies.

I do not eat other foods that are known to be inflammatory. I follow the Walhs protocol with my adjustments for my allergies. When it’s high pollen season, I also have to watch high histamine foods.

My aches and pains are almost completely and totally gone. One thing that is hanging around is still the blurry vision in one eye that comes and goes. Perhaps the damage to the nerves in my eye are permanent. Not sure.

Since cutting out these things, and it was a road of discovery, a bit at a time, I feel so much better and have gotten used to eating this way. There was some emotional and mental adjustment to be sure. But I do not want my latex allergy to continue to increase as it can turn to anaphylactic if I am not careful. And I do not want to live with that huge list of symptoms anymore. It has definitely been worth it. My asthma has slowly decreased with each change, and with watching histamine foods, I can finally breathe through my nose with ease. Clearly, my body struggles with many things and I feel better in ways I didn’t even realize were an issue before.

My daughter also eats an anti-inflammatory diet. She has tested positive for thyroid antibodies, and we were seeing symptoms of early thyroid trouble. It has not been fun for her as a kid to give up so many things that the average kid eats and enjoys. But we saw a reversal of her symptoms, and she’s a believer now in the power of diet.

Just this week, I had something with an inflammatory ingredient in it, thinking it had been awhile and it would be fine. That night, I had stabbing pains in my feet and legs. Nope. My body needs this diet and I’m thankful to know what’s going on. I’m hoping to feel better in my later years than I felt in my younger years!

MamaMansa 05-29-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestLaidPlans (Post 6252068)
The long and short of it is - I eat a more strict anti-inflammatory diet, but I have more sensitivities than others do, so what I do isn’t what most people would do. For example- the morning facial swelling I have figured out is a reaction to latex-cross reactive foods. I cannot have foods with latex in them unless I’ve cooked them thoroughly and with high heat so that the heat can destroy the latex. Latex is in most fruits and some veggies.

I had no idea this was a thing. Is the latex in the coating they put on fruit?

ECingMama 05-29-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaMansa (Post 6252084)
I had no idea this was a thing. Is the latex in the coating they put on fruit?

What Are Latex Cross-Reactive Foods?

Some foods have proteins that are like those in the rubber tree sap. Sometimes people with latex allergies experience a reaction to “latex reactive foods.” You may hear this called Latex-Food Syndrome or Latex-Fruit Allergy. Latex reactive foods include nuts and fruit, particularly:

Avocado
Banana
Chestnut
Kiwi
Apple
Carrot
Celery
Papaya
Potatoes

Tomatoes
Melons

https://www.aafa.org/latex-allergy/

2sunshines 05-30-2021 05:12 AM

my dh struggles with inflammation issues. I should look in to more of this to help him diet-wise. Right now he's just doing some small additions to his routine. He likes to add tumeric as much as possible to his diet for its anti-inflammatory affects.

RealLifeMama 05-30-2021 05:22 AM

I think sugar is a big inflammatory for me.

My CRP is kind of high, so I really need to get my inflammation down. I feel best when I eat a lot of greens and fiber, and no dairy or sugar. I don't know if it affects the actual inflammation, though.

BestLaidPlans 05-30-2021 10:31 AM

(Sorry that I'm coming and going on the thread. Hard to type much on my phone, and hard to get time to sit down at my computer.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 6251595)
I think I need to do this. I'm in pain and I don't like admitting it. I can still function and I feel like I'm too young to be dealing with this much discomfort. It is not all in my head.

So, tell me what you know, what I need to know and where to start.

I believe you that it's not in your head. And I'm sorry it is happening for you.

Suggestions of where to start?

There are generally accepted categories of foods that cause or worsen inflammation. I'm guessing you're somewhat familiar with at least some of them. Grains, dairy, sugar - these are the big three for most people, it seems to me. So many people start with avoiding processed foods. That's revolutionary in and of itself. It does allow you to avoid all grains, dairy, and sugar very "easily."

That can be overwhelming. So maybe you'd rather just decide to cut out one of those categories. Once you have that category down, then add in another.

Or, you can do it by meal. "For breakfast, I will eat no dairy, no grains, and and sugar. I tend to eat the same three meals all week. So now I need to find three new recipes for breakfast." Much easier. Then you can move to lunch, then move on to dinner. Or whichever order.

Another way you could begin is to simply decide you will add X number of vegetables to every meal, and decide that you will not allow yourself any of a certain type of food until you've had the extra servings of veggies. "I know I'm going to eventually totally cut out grains, so to ease into it, I will always eat 3 servings of veggies before I allow myself a roll at dinner." Because eventually, your meals will be very heavy on the vegetables anyway, and this way you simply are too full to eat grains. It can be a gentler way to push the grains/dairy/sugar out.

Another suggestion is to look at seasonal allergies. Some of the allergies to pollen have foods with which they cross-react. Not everyone has these sensitivities, but they can be useful to keep an eye out for. I discovered several links to my symptoms, but they were after I had a better handle on the big inflammation foods.

One thing is for certain. This is a marathon, not a sprint. And if you're feeling overwhelmed, some of us are always available to commiserate. But every day you try is a day you're better off than you used to be.