Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   container composting (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530364)

marbles 08-31-2022 03:25 PM

container composting

In our move, we inherited one of those compost drums that spins. I've only ever done open composting, just in an empty garden box straight onto the ground. I never had an issue with balancing that, every now and then I could tell it would need something else or a good mixing or something. But this container is awful. The compost is black, smells bad, super wet, and absolutely full of some kind of mealworms. It's dripping out of the bottom, on the ground it looks like the upside down is coming through. I keep adding dead leaves and pine straw when I can, but it doesn't do anything. I have no idea what it needs, I tried looking it up but the instructions I have found are just simple "add green and brown, turn every few days, let it sit and you have compost" except I have tar. Do any of y'all do this successfully and know what I'm doing wrong?

Singingmom 08-31-2022 09:07 PM

Re: container composting

I don’t, sorry! I got a book from the library on composting a few months ago which made me realize it’s a lot more complicated than I thought.

knitlove 08-31-2022 10:02 PM

My mom has one. But I don't think she has had any issues with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2sunshines 09-01-2022 04:30 AM

:think My compost is in a container but not a spin one like yours, but a container that sits on the ground and I put the stuff in through the lid on the top. Honestly I do nothing. I barely remember to add greens or browns.

When you got it was it thoroughly cleaned or were there renmants inside? Wondering if anything from the previous owner could be causing something?

I admit I don't know much about composting since we've been lucky and haven't had any issues... :think

marbles 09-01-2022 04:58 AM

There was very dry stuff in there, a little bit on each side, and it looked like it hadn't been touched in a good while. I probably could empty it out and give it a good wash to start over. The birds would like all those goodies I'm sure.

Soliloquy 09-02-2022 09:18 AM

Those spin composters need a lot more dry, brown matter than open air composting. Small twigs and such. And it finishes much faster. What was in there was possibly over-done if it smelled bad. We had a spin composter years ago and it was too much for me to stay on top of it (but I had young kids then and lots of things were too much for me). Now I do no-till gardening and do lasagna type composting. It's so much less work.

marbles 09-02-2022 09:56 AM

Ok that makes sense. I do feel like I can't add enough dry brown material to balance it out. I'm glad that the scraps aren't just going in the trash but also it's unusable other than as food for larva. It's nothing like soil, which is what I'm used to. I'll have to think on a solution for this I guess.

Soliloquy 09-02-2022 10:00 AM

I have some huge bushes outside my back door and I dump produce scraps into the bushes. The bushes hide everything and it doesn't smell.

In the garden I compost lawn/garden matter, not kitchen scraps. It's easier for me.