Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Beverages *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=545)
-   -   This whipped coffee fad (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=528401)

Virginia 04-23-2020 04:26 AM

This whipped coffee fad

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5521fe9496.jpg

Anyone else tried it? Thoughts?

It’s 2 TBS each of instant coffee, boiling water, and sugar. Whip it for ten minutes (I used a handheld mixer). Serve on top of ice and milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twoplustwo 04-23-2020 05:09 AM

Re: This whipped coffee fad

I have not, but I have seen someone with one on Facebook.
I drink my coffee with no cream and no sugar now (yay me!) and have successfully reduced my sugar consumption in general by quite a lot recently so not something I will be willing to try.
I did show it to dh as he does lot of coffee concoctions in the blender. I said I would make him some this summer and he is interested. :thumbsup

ViolaMum 04-23-2020 05:31 AM

I've tried it with regular instant coffee and instant espresso, both with sugar and sugar-free (xylitol and stevia), plain and with a splash of vanilla.

It's only as good as the quality of your instant.

That said, it's got a wonderful texture. My older girls want to experiment with it this weekend. We're going to try cooking regular (good) coffee down to a syrup and whipping that up for better flavor. I typically drink coffee black and unsweetened, but I get a yen every so often for a fancy drink, so it sounds like a fun experiment.

The Tickle Momster 04-23-2020 06:42 AM

We've been making it. Definitely better with instant espresso if you can find it. Dd18 has been playing with making it fancy by adding caramel sauce and chocolate sauce drizzled into the glass.

I've added the whipped concoction to my Crio Bru. :yum

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 04-23-2020 07:07 AM

Instant espresso is usually better, if you can find a good brand. I usually have instant espresso in my pantry; I use it for baking. My grocery store a few months had replaced my favorite brand (Medaglia D'oro) with another (Delallo) which is just not as good. Cafe Bustelo is okay. I'd love to use King Arthur, but they process everything packed in jars on the same equipment - nuts, eggs, milk, etc. - which we just can't do.

Virginia 04-23-2020 07:09 AM

I’ll see if I can find instant espresso!

ViolaMum 04-23-2020 07:13 AM

So, Virginia, what did you think of it?

Lemon is a nice touch if you make it with espresso. (In Italy, espresso is often served with a twist of lemon zest.) You could add lemon extract to the mix or serve it with fresh zest.

Virginia 04-23-2020 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6215014)
So, Virginia, what did you think of it?

Lemon is a nice touch if you make it with espresso. (In Italy, espresso is often served with a twist of lemon zest.) You could add lemon extract to the mix or serve it with fresh zest.

I thought it was yummy but not something I can spend ten minutes doing daily :) It was a nice treat!

And since I did decaf, I let DD1 try some and she said it was “delicious” :giggle

Lady Grey 04-23-2020 10:41 AM

I have made a low carb version a few times. The first time I didn't have instant coffee, so I used some of our cold brew and added a bit of protein powder. It made more of a foam than a whip, but was delicious.

I have since acquired instant coffee and while it whips nicely, the taste is so awful. (Dh buys good beans from a local roaster so I'm spoiled) I haven't found instant espresso yet.

It is fun if you are looking for a coffee treat, though a little time consuming. I make a low carb iced coffee almost daily that I think I like better.

MrsHutch 04-23-2020 11:53 AM

We've been making it, but with just 1TBS of each. 2 TBS of instant coffee is a LOT of caffeine! I actually prefer it more mixed into the milk... like a regular iced coffee I guess.

Virginia 04-23-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Grey (Post 6215030)
I have made a low carb version a few times. The first time I didn't have instant coffee, so I used some of our cold brew and added a bit of protein powder. It made more of a foam than a whip, but was delicious.

I have since acquired instant coffee and while it whips nicely, the taste is so awful. (Dh buys good beans from a local roaster so I'm spoiled) I haven't found instant espresso yet.

It is fun if you are looking for a coffee treat, though a little time consuming. I make a low carb iced coffee almost daily that I think I like better.

Oh that sounds delicious!!

The Tickle Momster 04-23-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsHutch (Post 6215040)
We've been making it, but with just 1TBS of each. 2 TBS of instant coffee is a LOT of caffeine! I actually prefer it more mixed into the milk... like a regular iced coffee I guess.

It is a lot of sugar too!

We've played with the ratios and cold vs hot milk, stirring it in. I think my dd must have two dozen photos on her phone of her dalgona artwork. :giggle

Vicki_T 04-23-2020 01:28 PM

Yum! I’ve not tried it, or even heard of it before, but it looks really good! I do have some fairly nice instant coffee so I’ll see if I can give it a go.

Soliloquy 04-23-2020 01:32 PM

No thank you. I cannot drink coffee with any kind of sweetener. They look so pretty and luxurious, though. I'm enjoying seeing them in my Instagram feed.

But we did buy a burr grinder and a Technivorm coffee maker (both ordered from small businesses) as our family splurge with our stimulus check. It's amazing. Huge difference!

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Putting Admin Hat On

This thread was moved from The Cookbook to Beverages.
Both are public.

MaybeGracie 04-23-2020 01:41 PM

I've made it a few times and enjoyed it both hot and cold. :tu It's fun to have something different to try, and it really does look pretty when it's assembled. :giggle