Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Have a bread box that you love? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529900)

Soliloquy 11-13-2021 02:51 PM

Have a bread box that you love?

I want to free up fridge space.

Singingmom 11-13-2021 05:47 PM

Re: Have a bread box that you love?

I do not, but I see metal ones at HomeGoods and think about it. I need to leave my tiny amount of counter space free, but it sure would be nice to free up the fridge space.

Soliloquy 11-13-2021 08:11 PM

Bread stays fresh longer in a bread box than it does in the fridge! I feel like I don't want to give up counter space, either, but our fridge is so crowded.

Hermana Linda 11-13-2021 11:46 PM

I keep it in the freezer and toast it as I need it.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

milkmommy 11-14-2021 12:51 AM

I bought a bread box recently. I love it. Its nothing fancy just a metal one from Target

https://www.target.com/p/metal-bread...83#lnk=sametab

But I love not having a various loaves of bread cluttering up my counter. Now that Margarets gluten sensitivity is way way less and she can handle some regular breads fine I don't have to freeze/refrigerate ones.

Right now ours is holding 2 containers of bagels 2 type of sand-which bread, and some corn tortillas. We had some hot dog buns in there recently but I think my husband went through those.

Our kitchen is pretty small and counter space is a premium. However the bread is staying nice and soft no issues with mold etc which we would have on ocassion when kept on counter. No going stale which we got when we kept it in the fridge.

2sunshines 11-14-2021 05:44 AM

Wait.

My world is rocked.

You keep your bread in the fridge? I always just keep it at room temperature. I guess through we go through it fast enough that it's never been an issue. I know it keeps longer in the fridge, but sacrificing fridge space for it has never been worth it and we've never really had an issue with it going bad at room temperature.

So.... breadbox keeps it longer than on the counter? I also always knew about breadboxes and have even owned one in the past but I thought it was more for "pretty" than function. :blush Just keeping the bags of bread out of view.

What about a breadbox makes it stay fresh longer than just sitting in the bag on the counter?

JoannaV 11-14-2021 07:50 AM

We keep our bread in the microwave, lol.

RiverRock 11-14-2021 08:26 AM

I have a bread basket beside the toaster. We usually go through it quickly so it rarely goes bad, and the toaster is used daily by my dh so it gets to be easily accessible. I grew up with the toaster being kept in a cupboard until needed.

Back to the bread box...both my mom and mil use a box made by Tupperware and they are happy with them.

twoplustwo 11-14-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6261507)
Wait.

My world is rocked.

You keep your bread in the fridge? I always just keep it at room temperature. I guess through we go through it fast enough that it's never been an issue. I know it keeps longer in the fridge, but sacrificing fridge space for it has never been worth it and we've never really had an issue with it going bad at room temperature.

So.... breadbox keeps it longer than on the counter? I also always knew about breadboxes and have even owned one in the past but I thought it was more for "pretty" than function. :blush Just keeping the bags of bread out of view.

What about a breadbox makes it stay fresh longer than just sitting in the bag on the counter?

Um . . . DOUBLE WAIT!

My world, too, is rocked.

We used to leave bread on the counter but then we got that 100 lbs dog who would take and eat all the bread on the counter when we werent home. So now it all resides in the pantry.

BUT I didnt know about the fridge, I have never owned a bread box and thought they were just decorative. Now maybe I want a bread box. :think

milkmommy 11-14-2021 12:59 PM

It's better temperature and moisture control. Our counter gets too hot most of the year so bread left out molds too fast. Refrigerator can cause more drying which speeds up bread getting stale.
A bread box keeps the bread in a better temperature and moisture control environment.

Singingmom 11-14-2021 08:02 PM

I have had trouble with bread molding on the counter, especially in warmer months, which is the main reason I keep it in the fridge. I am intrigued to learn that a bread box helps keep it from molding!

MudPies 11-15-2021 04:52 AM

We keep it in the pantry here. It only goes bad when we forget about the last bagel or something, and it gets overlooked. When we lived in the south (much more humid) we kept it in a bread box. I bet it depends on where you live and the humidity levels. The fridge makes it go stale much faster.

SewingGreenMama 11-16-2021 01:06 PM

Bread boxes were originally made to protect bread from rodents and bugs. Which is why most are metal or metal lined.
I need to get one, I hadn't thought about needing one but now that you all brought it up it would be a much better system then what I have.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 11-18-2021 01:44 PM

I will happily pay $100 for one that will work well for us and last a long time. And will hold enough for our family. . But if I can get the same benefits from a cheaper one, even better. I'm trying to decide on size. I prefer white, stainless, or clear. There are too many choices.

2sunshines 11-18-2021 02:09 PM

I'm still trying to figure this out...

When you store in a breadbox, are we talking traditional processed sandwich bread that you buy in plastic wrap? Do you remove it from the wrap to put it in the breadbox or just put the whole thing, bag and all in there?

Or are we talking fresher less-preservative loaves? And same question - stored in the bag in the breadbox or out of the bag in the breadbox?

Or homemade?