Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Tell me about your favorite shoes! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530054)

domesticzookeeper 02-09-2022 11:32 AM

Tell me about your favorite shoes!

This is a two-fold inquiry:

1) Everyday shoes. I don't feel like I have a nice go-to pair of shoes for running errands or looking decent (albeit casual) in public. In the winter I pretty much exclusively wear boots, but outside of cold weather I don't really have a pair of shoes that I feel are both comfortable *and* look nice enough with a pair of jeans that I could go grab lunch or coffee with a friend. I'm open to any and all suggestions here.

2) Outdoorsy/Traveling shoes. We're going to the PNW in May and spending most of that time outdoors. Four days at my uncle and aunts farm in the Cascades, then horseback riding, then going out on a boat to spot whales. I am planning to bring my XTRATUF deck boots as my alternate option for wet days and/or kicking around the farm, but I'm not sure what to bring that would be good for walking around the airport, around town, and possibly some light hiking :giggle Reeeaaally hoping to not need more than two pairs of shoes (one to wear, one to pack) so maybe an outdoorsy option that isn't a full-on hiking boot? Any brand suggestions here would be very welcomed!

MegMarch 02-09-2022 02:38 PM

Re: Tell me about your favorite shoes!

I'm working towards barefoot and minimalist shoes, so these might not be a fit for you. But my new fave pairs for everyday are Lems Drifters https://www.lemsshoes.com/products/w...39340256493626 and Groundies Ibizas https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before this, I loved Frye Carsons in a variety of colors.

2sunshines 02-09-2022 02:43 PM

I had to think deeply on this because like you I'm in boots all winter so it's been a while since I've worn shoes!

I have some NAOT brand that I like. they're expensive. They're an Israeli shoe company, really good quality and super comfortable.

I also love my merrell shoes. I have a few different varieties. Black slip ons. Barefoot walking shoes. And I have merrell boots too.

expatmom 02-09-2022 02:49 PM

I wear Blundstones every day and everywhere. Best shoes I have ever worn. Super comfy once they are worn in.

rosesnsnails 02-09-2022 06:22 PM

Nike free and Nike flex are the only closed toed shoes I can wear for long periods without knee pain. Merrick sandals are my standard in the summer.

knitlove 02-09-2022 06:38 PM

My every day normal shoes that I wear even on short hikes are my dansko clogs. I am on my second pair in 11 years. I fell in love with them in Vermont because when I was completely sick of wearing snow boots but there was still and inch of sluch in the ground I could switch to my Dansko clogs and still be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mommychem 02-09-2022 11:04 PM

I’ll play, though I’m sure this won’t be helpful. It was beautiful here today with a high of 70. The kids at the park were wearing shorts and t shirts. That said, my favorite casual shoes which I wear in every season because of them mild or hot weather is a shoe from Land’s End. It’s a ballet type slip on and it curves in the front and back. The weight of my foot makes it flat when I walk. It’s green, blue, and black plaid and matches most of my wardrobe. I got them on sale for $20. :haha

Carry on

KarenBoo 02-10-2022 12:49 AM

I love my Birkenstocks! (Mayori is the only style that I love to wear though.) My daughters also love them, so we all live in them. They work for hikes too, and I used to hike in them in the PNW.

But if you want closed-toed shoes, I would consider buying some hiking shoes that are like tennis shoes and not boots. Those would work well for your needs that you listed. They will be waterproof.

ViolaMum 02-10-2022 01:29 PM

I wear Dansko clogs for everyday. I started off with professional clogs 16 years ago, then bought a pair of black patent Mary Janes built on the same sole (my concert stage shoes when I don't feel like wearing heels :giggle) and recently tried the Brenna clogs which have a slightly lower heel and fit bigger around the ankle/instep. My oldest claimed my recently retired pair of Professionals for her barista job. I need to see if I can get them resoled for her. She wears Doc Martins the rest of the time.

For mucking around in the outdoors my kids wear Merrell's. They have low-cut styles that are waterproof, both jungle mocs and hiking-type. Their kids' colors are much more exciting than the adult styles, though. (It was a sad day when Secunda could no longer fit into the kids' shoes.)

knitlove 02-10-2022 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6265963)
I wear Dansko clogs for everyday. I started off with professional clogs 16 years ago, then bought a pair of black patent Mary Janes built on the same sole (my concert stage shoes when I don't feel like wearing heels :giggle) and recently tried the Brenna clogs which have a slightly lower heel and fit bigger around the ankle/instep. My oldest claimed my recently retired pair of Professionals for her barista job. I need to see if I can get them resoled for her.

clearly I need to look at different styles of Dansko clogs. I havn't managed to wear out the soles of mine. The first pair i had holes in the sides and the top was coming off. The only issue with my currently ones is the binding aound the opening is completly gone, I wonder if I can get them fixed.

graciousmomma 02-10-2022 02:55 PM

Lately, I have been wearing lots of shoes from Torrid. Usually I get them on sale or clearance. I love their flats, and they come in styles that range from plain to blingy. And they are always comfy (I did have to break in my rhinestone flats, though). I tend to have a little bit wider feet anyhow, and their shoes fit me better than other brands.

Before I wore mostly Torrid shoes, I wore Merrells and Klogs slip on style shoes - those brands both lasted me for years and years.

forty-two 02-10-2022 08:19 PM

My go-to shoes are snow boots and Teva sandals (the Original Universal). They are a lot more long-lasting than the various kids of leather sandals I used to buy - I get several years of wear, and they are my main shoe for most of the year. I walked all round Disney World with them (and they don't care about getting wet - they were fine with me wearing them into the water at a rocky beach). Even when living up north, I still wore my sandals whenever there wasn't snow on the ground (when it got cold, I would wear socks :shifty, sometimes a double layer of socks for outdoor walking - but I did draw the line at *white* socks :snooty:lol).

Sparrow 02-10-2022 09:29 PM

I can’t have a favourite shoe!!

For cute I like these - I wear them all day and I’m on my feet lots at work

https://www.amazon.ca/DREAM-PAIRS-So...%2C237&sr=8-12

I also have flats like them too. In silver!

I wear Blundstones in the winter

MrsHutch 02-11-2022 09:25 AM

For cute and comfortable, I wear birkenstocks (I have the gizeh style, and the mayari also looks cute).

For pure comfort when I'm going to be on my feet all day, I love my Brooks Ghost 13 in a wide size.

For hiking and running, I love my Altras. I currently have the superiors, and I'm about to trade them in for some lone peaks, which have a bit more cushion.

ViolaMum 02-11-2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6265967)
clearly I need to look at different styles of Dansko clogs. I havn't managed to wear out the soles of mine. The first pair i had holes in the sides and the top was coming off. The only issue with my currently ones is the binding aound the opening is completly gone, I wonder if I can get them fixed.

Yikes! A good cobbler might be able to fix them. I've never had them come apart. The leather is pretty worn, though. I tend to wear down the outside edge of the heels. They're still wearable; my oldest says they're the most comfortable thing to wear to work. I'd love to get the soles back into pristine shape and paint or cover them in sheepskin or something else unexpected. The padded collars are frayed along the edges and on the Professional clogs have been the first place to show wear.