Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Soups *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=539)
-   -   I need soup for a sick person... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527748)

marbles 10-26-2019 09:32 AM

I need soup for a sick person...

My neighbor is very ill and is struggling to eat. The only soups I ever make are potato soups, I could make her a chicken and potato soup but I want some options. I know she likes vegetable soup but another neighbor just made her some and I've never made that (plus all I have on hand are green beens and kale). So share your nourishing, not too spicy, not too smelly (I don't mean in a bad way, she gets nauseated easily right now, so too strong an aroma might make her sick), beginner level soups. If you've shared a recipe on here before I can look it up, I plan on browsing some anyways. I'm sure there are hospitality ladies here who have a go-to, please help me help her.

charla 10-26-2019 09:47 AM

Re: I need soup for a sick person...

I love this easy chicken and rice soup and it isn't too heavy on the tummy.

This is my favorite vegetable soup right now.
I find this creamy zucchini soup really comforting, but it's probably not everyone's taste.

Vicki_T 10-26-2019 10:01 AM

I love this one - https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/n...agic-soup.html

Quiteria 10-28-2019 10:51 PM

I don't have a recipe, but I like pumpkin and butternut squash soups for being filling, nourishing with something different, and pretty easy if you start with puree. The last one I had store-bought had a mild touch of ginger.

ECingMama 10-29-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiteria (Post 6195260)
I don't have a recipe, but I like pumpkin and butternut squash soups for being filling, nourishing with something different, and pretty easy if you start with puree. The last one I had store-bought had a mild touch of ginger.

You can add roasted carrots and white beans to both of these.

ViolaMum 10-29-2019 03:09 PM

Carrot-orange is nice. I also make a butternut squash-ginger soup this time of year.

You can pretty much make any veggie into a soup. For instance, say you have a ton of carrots. Just start by sweating onion in a little oil and a couple pinches of salt. Add diced carrot and a pinch of thyme (1/4 t or so. Go with your taste buds!) Soften the carrot a little, then add stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until carrots are soft. Add orange juice to taste, salt and pepper and run through a blender.

Butternut-ginger is roughly the same process, starting with onion and ginger. You can use pre-cooked or frozen squash puree or roast your own squash (cut in half, scoop out the seeds, and toss on an oiled baking sheet at 400 for a half hour or until soft. Scoop out the flesh and add to your soup pot along with some broth. (I use chicken or vegetable.) Heat through, season to taste and puree with a stick blender or whiz it through a counter blender in a couple of batches.

My kids only reliably eat tomato soup. They like the one in the first Trim Healthy Mama cookbook that is made creamy with coconut milk and lots of tomato paste. It's also got nutritional yeast in it, which my kids like. I've also used potato, white beans, or even sandwich bread to make cream-less "creamy" soups.

knitlove 10-29-2019 03:23 PM

I have made up an amazing ( if I do say so myself) tomato soup recipe. I based it of of several I found when really missing LaMadalin's tomato basil soup.

Fill up two half sheet pans with cut tomatoes, onion and a bit of garlic. Generously doused with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 400 untill things have a much char on the outside peices ( I normally will pull the garlic out early other wise it turns to charcoals). The contents of both pans goes in to a blender with some sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste and coconut milk ( the light canned kind works fine the higher fat content worked better. Do not use the kind out of a carton) I normally have to do it in batches because no have a wussy blender. Then I simply heat it up or put it in the fridge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

marigold 10-29-2019 08:48 PM

I really like this one:
https://www.kitchenfrau.com/healing-...ic-broth-soup/
turmeric is good for boosting the immune system. you could do less, but I think it is quite mild. I like to add chickpeas for added protien.

ViolaMum 10-31-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6195309)
I have made up an amazing ( if I do say so myself) tomato soup recipe. I based it of of several I found when really missing LaMadalin's tomato basil soup.

Fill up two half sheet pans with cut tomatoes, onion and a bit of garlic. Generously doused with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 400 untill things have a much char on the outside peices ( I normally will pull the garlic out early other wise it turns to charcoals). The contents of both pans goes in to a blender with some sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste and coconut milk ( the light canned kind works fine the higher fat content worked better. Do not use the kind out of a carton) I normally have to do it in batches because no have a wussy blender. Then I simply heat it up or put it in the fridge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If you add some thyme when you roast the tomatoes and skip the coconut milk, you have a very nice pasta sauce.