Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Is anyone working in the garden yet? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529402)

heartofjoy 03-23-2021 02:01 PM

Is anyone working in the garden yet?

I know many of you don't live as far south as I do. It's in the 80s today in Texas. :shifty

My son-in-law helped me make a large bed against my backyard fence and I've been collecting plants. I'm so excited! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...72ea8066a9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b99d72230a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7fbfe7f997.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 03-23-2021 02:21 PM

Re: Is anyone working in the garden yet?

Ooooh, that's going to be lovely!

We've started seedlings, mainly vegetables. I usually have a kid or two that wants to start some flowers every year, so I let them have at it. They usually go for showy annuals, so our yard always looks different. We're too far north to get anything in the ground just yet.

Aerynne 03-23-2021 02:34 PM

I am trying to decide if I want to either cover my garden up and keep my toddler out of it this year and not plant anything or get some kind of fencing to keep her out of the plants. I do want to do it but keeping a toddler out is so much work! We can't plant most things outside until May but we start seeds inside in April.

passthemanna 03-23-2021 02:44 PM

Ive gotten as far as throwing cardboard out to smother weed sprouts... but it's barely covered and kind of blown around. Our garden gets over taken by mallow. I keep thinking i should plant lettuce

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

twoplustwo 03-23-2021 05:10 PM

I failed at spinach and some kind of peas - sugar or those flat ones last year. I guess I better check with the kids to see if they want to try again. I have too much shade is the problem.

heartofjoy 03-23-2021 05:33 PM

I like permanent plants. I usually go for perennials and flowering shrubs and trees. My yard has very little vegetation so I'm starting by putting in some plants that will last for years and then in the future I might decide to grow some vegetables.

I do plan to make a little hodge podge herb garden. I was going to buy a raised bed for over $100 but then decided to get creative with stuff I have. I got what looks like legs to a toddler table for free from a neighbor. And I have a container than will sit on top. I just need to attach it. Maybe. And add dirt.

domesticzookeeper 03-23-2021 06:53 PM

We can't safely plant until Memorial Day :giggle So I'm vicariously living through other, warmer gardens :popcorn

Once it is warm enough, our project this year is a U-shaped raised bed with two types of sunflowers and some pickling cucumbers to climb stakes/sunflower stalks and fill in the lower foliage.

Sundance 03-24-2021 04:08 AM

You can definitely plant things before Memorial Day, just not cold sensitive crops.
Peas, kale, cabbages, etc can be planted now or once the soil can be worked.

Having said that, we still have snow.
But I have crocuses coming up.

And I've been trying to ditch around my garlic bed because it was flooded with the melt & underwater....I hope it's OK, because there are more than 400 bulbs.

2sunshines 03-24-2021 05:20 AM

Not yet but I definitely have the bug! We still have some below freezing nights ahead. Most of what I plant needs to be after the freezes are done. But I'm thinking and planning and am excited!!!

Aerynne 03-24-2021 06:02 AM

I have crosuses, too. They make me so happy!

PrincessAnika 03-24-2021 09:50 AM

Not yet. I haven’t had good luck tomatoes, cukes, peppers, etc from seed so I think we’ll stop at the garden store and grab some when it’s warm enough to plant. Peas and beans I can do from seed, and hope to, and lettuces as well. I need to yank out a bunch of mint before I can start turning soil and we didn’t have very good luck last year between what we think was too old seeds, weather, and animal. Might need to add some stuff to the dirt. I want to do carrots again, and onions as well. Not sure what else yet. Maybe an eggplant or two, zucchini/yellow squash, and some herbs - those I might actually try to get into a pot or smaller box though. :think I wonder if one of those plastic shoeboxes might work? If I put some rocks on the bottom and then the dirt on top? I don’t have a sunny side window sill I can use for a box so I’ll have to be able to set it outside I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 03-24-2021 02:59 PM

I wanted to start turning the soil and plant sugar snap peas & kale but I didn't get to it. It's snowing this week so maybe next week I can.

heartofjoy 03-24-2021 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6247184)
I wanted to start turning the soil and plant sugar snap peas & kale but I didn't get to it. It's snowing this week so maybe next week I can.

I don't know how people live further north. I hate winter in Texas! Every year I want to move to Mexico.

But I've been cold natured all my life. I need warmth to feel normal.

I am looking for two specific plants that I bought last year for my garden. It was new last year and I was experimenting. These two plants, Rock Rose and Blackfoot Daisies, did very well and I want to add more but I'm having trouble locating them.

I contacted my nursery and they got some of the daisies in today but they are almost sold out! I can't go on Wednesdays. But I'll go tomorrow when they open and hopefully get some.

ViolaMum 03-25-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessAnika (Post 6247132)
Not yet. I haven’t had good luck tomatoes, cukes, peppers, etc from seed so I think we’ll stop at the garden store and grab some when it’s warm enough to plant. Peas and beans I can do from seed, and hope to, and lettuces as well. I need to yank out a bunch of mint before I can start turning soil and we didn’t have very good luck last year between what we think was too old seeds, weather, and animal. Might need to add some stuff to the dirt. I want to do carrots again, and onions as well. Not sure what else yet. Maybe an eggplant or two, zucchini/yellow squash, and some herbs - those I might actually try to get into a pot or smaller box though. :think I wonder if one of those plastic shoeboxes might work? If I put some rocks on the bottom and then the dirt on top? I don’t have a sunny side window sill I can use for a box so I’ll have to be able to set it outside I think.

Just an FYI: Old Miracle Grow will kill your seedlings, too. If you use it, make sure it's newer.

DH's grandmother always started her seeds in paper milk cartons turned sideways. (We usually got seedlings from her, she had so many.) But were you thinking of keeping them in the plastic box or just starting them that way?

heartofjoy 03-25-2021 11:38 AM

I bought 30 bags of dirt today. Some cheap topsoil to fill the bed and replace what we removed, a few big bags of miracle grow garden soil to boost the nutrients, and 1 bag of potting mix to start a little herb planter.

PrincessAnika 03-25-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6247302)
Just an FYI: Old Miracle Grow will kill your seedlings, too. If you use it, make sure it's newer.

DH's grandmother always started her seeds in paper milk cartons turned sideways. (We usually got seedlings from her, she had so many.) But were you thinking of keeping them in the plastic box or just starting them that way?

TY - I don’t think we have any miracle gro but I will double check that also.
I was thinking of using the plastic box as a window planter, like people usually put flowers in, only with herbs. No clue if it will work or not I need to research container gardens more.

mummy2boys 03-25-2021 11:28 PM

I pulled out all the weeds and old plants a few weeks ago, which was good timing as we've had torrential rain and floods here in Sydney and I have one arm in a sling so no chance I could do it now!

Think I might be able to manage digging little holes and putting in seeds with one hand :)

heartofjoy 03-26-2021 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessAnika (Post 6247372)
TY - I don’t think we have any miracle gro but I will double check that also.
I was thinking of using the plastic box as a window planter, like people usually put flowers in, only with herbs. No clue if it will work or not I need to research container gardens more.

I'm doing herbs in a container. I wish I had a window to put them in but when we built our porch across the back of the house, we blocked the sun from all the convenient windows! I know in my research that many of the herbs I wanted to grow don't do well in the heat, which is a big problem here in Texas. Also containers dry out really fast, so mulch and water a lot even if they are dry loving plants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mummy2boys (Post 6247383)
I pulled out all the weeds and old plants a few weeks ago, which was good timing as we've had torrential rain and floods here in Sydney and I have one arm in a sling so no chance I could do it now!

Think I might be able to manage digging little holes and putting in seeds with one hand :)

I'm sorry about your arm! That would really deter me! I'm glad you got the old stuff pulled first. What seeds are you planning?

arelyn 03-26-2021 05:40 AM

We planted lettuces and radish a couple weeks ago here at my sister's house. We're hoping to have enough greens to make a salad before we heard back up North. So far her 18 month old has enjoyed watering them and hasn't done any damage (though I did have to hide the shovel).

derdsgirl 03-26-2021 06:19 PM

Me! :raises :bounce I almost started a thread last week but I thought maybe it was too early for everyone so didn't.

I've been working in our garden since early Feb. Started with weeding and putting up some more raised beds. Then late-Feb planted a HUGE bed of bare root strawberries and rhubarb with some sorrel lining the front of the bed, borage and chamomile are along the back - with a bit of room back there for lovage. The strawberries are starting to sprout and it is so fun. I can't wait for strawberry rhubarb pie.

I had some volunteer lettuce plants pop up in early Feb. We have had a couple of salads so far picking off the bottom leaves. Snap/sugar peas went in the ground, direct sown, mid-Feb and doing well growing. First round of carrots were intersown with some of the peas and sprouted last week. I also started my brassicas about the same time indoors and repotted those up to 4"pots last week. They are looking great. I started too much broccoli though. I'll give away extras. Last weekend we finished up a 4x10' bed that I got planted with our "salads" (lettuce, chard, beets, second round of carrots, radishes, spinach, napa cabbage) on one half, and a 10' row of kale too with a 10' row left blank for the brussel sprouts once the starts are ready to be planted in a couple of weeks. I finally found some shelling peas, they had been sold out everywhere, and got those in the ground today.

I think the spring garden is officially planted now. :)

Within the last week I have gotten most of my summer garden starts going. Tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, basil, cucumbers, summer squash, melons, and a bunch of flowers. I was super excited to see hibiscus seeds earlier this year - I never thought to grow it myself before seeing the seeds but I *love* hibiscus tea. So I planted a whole packet and every single seed germinated. I am definitely going to have extras for friends around here. ;)

I still have some more herbs, beans, and one other thing that I'm not remembering to get going. Oh, and I ordered my seed potatoes, but those ship sometime this week or next for proper planting in our area, so those aren't started yet either, but I have a big bed already cleared and waiting for them.

Most of April will be babysitting seedlings and transplanting them to bigger pots plus building out a few more raised boxes. Last year I didn't get all the boxes built that I wanted but :shrug3, having had more time to plan since then I've expanded my whole garden plan which is great - now I have room for an avocado tree and blueberry bushes which I'd love to do NOW but there is a wood pile in that area at the moment because we removed some trees to make better garden space. I might need to get the avocado tree now and put it in a big pot for this year, and transplant it next. They take so long to mature I really want to get that going. DH is also getting invested more in the garden and is wanting to help me build proper compost piles which hopefully can get started in April.

Then May all the things (minus a few of the hotter loving plants) get planted!

heartofjoy 03-26-2021 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derdsgirl (Post 6247471)
Me! :raises :bounce I almost started a thread last week but I thought maybe it was too early for everyone so didn't.

I've been working in our garden since early Feb. Started with weeding and putting up some more raised beds. Then late-Feb planted a HUGE bed of bare root strawberries and rhubarb with some sorrel lining the front of the bed, borage and chamomile are along the back - with a bit of room back there for lovage. The strawberries are starting to sprout and it is so fun. I can't wait for strawberry rhubarb pie.

I had some volunteer lettuce plants pop up in early Feb. We have had a couple of salads so far picking off the bottom leaves. Snap/sugar peas went in the ground, direct sown, mid-Feb and doing well growing. First round of carrots were intersown with some of the peas and sprouted last week. I also started my brassicas about the same time indoors and repotted those up to 4"pots last week. They are looking great. I started too much broccoli though. I'll give away extras. Last weekend we finished up a 4x10' bed that I got planted with our "salads" (lettuce, chard, beets, second round of carrots, radishes, spinach, napa cabbage) on one half, and a 10' row of kale too with a 10' row left blank for the brussel sprouts once the starts are ready to be planted in a couple of weeks. I finally found some shelling peas, they had been sold out everywhere, and got those in the ground today.

I think the spring garden is officially planted now. :)

Within the last week I have gotten most of my summer garden starts going. Tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, basil, cucumbers, summer squash, melons, and a bunch of flowers. I was super excited to see hibiscus seeds earlier this year - I never thought to grow it myself before seeing the seeds but I *love* hibiscus tea. So I planted a whole packet and every single seed germinated. I am definitely going to have extras for friends around here. ;)

I still have some more herbs, beans, and one other thing that I'm not remembering to get going. Oh, and I ordered my seed potatoes, but those ship sometime this week or next for proper planting in our area, so those aren't started yet either, but I have a big bed already cleared and waiting for them.

Most of April will be babysitting seedlings and transplanting them to bigger pots plus building out a few more raised boxes. Last year I didn't get all the boxes built that I wanted but :shrug3, having had more time to plan since then I've expanded my whole garden plan which is great - now I have room for an avocado tree and blueberry bushes which I'd love to do NOW but there is a wood pile in that area at the moment because we removed some trees to make better garden space. I might need to get the avocado tree now and put it in a big pot for this year, and transplant it next. They take so long to mature I really want to get that going. DH is also getting invested more in the garden and is wanting to help me build proper compost piles which hopefully can get started in April.

Then May all the things (minus a few of the hotter loving plants) get planted!

Ok this is really impressive! I'm too lazy to grow stuff from seeds! One day maybe I'll have a vegetable garden, but not this year.

twoplustwo 03-27-2021 02:47 AM

Ok, I've made a lot of progress. ;) I asked ds if he wanted to do a garden this year, he sid no. I asked dd, she said yes.

Next step, TODAY, find the spinach and pea seeds I had leftover from last year.

Maybe see if we can move the raised beds to the back of the yard - maybe I can find a sunnier spot back there. We haven't been successful there in the past because its so far from the water, but maybe now that dd is older and they are just 2 small beds we can haul it back there. :think

derdsgirl 03-28-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6247480)
Ok this is really impressive! I'm too lazy to grow stuff from seeds! One day maybe I'll have a vegetable garden, but not this year.

Thanks! I am really excited about it. I've wanted to "homestead" for years and years, but it isn't going to be possible. We likely won't ever get to live on a more farm-land sort of property. So instead I'm going to garden however much I can in this place and be happy with it. And I am happy. It is not enough space to be fully "self-sufficient" or anything like typical homesteader, but I can eventually get to the place of providing at least all of our vegetables, and half the fruit we eat. We love apples and citrus and other tree fruits. I don't have space for more trees, so those we will have to continue to buy those.

This is my first year starting seeds. If all the beds are built like I plan, I'll have over 500sq ft of garden beds total and buying plants already started gets expensive fast! It sort of felt like I had to start using seeds or we would be broke! I've spent quite a bit on just seeds, but at least this way it is $3 for 20 plants instead of $4-5 a piece later on. I had to invest in some lights and a heating mat, and I might still need a pop-up greenhouse, but I think on the whole it will be worth it.

___

This weekend I was able to get the rest of my seeds started for the summer garden, and worked on clearing the space where we will be expanding the garden and moving our deer fencing out. DH built the ends to 3 raised garden beds. He needs a bit more lumbar to finish the long sides of the beds so we got together the list for him to place an order tomorrow with the lumbar mill.

It is really fun to watch things sprout right now! Sooo many seedlings.

PrincessAnika 03-29-2021 12:31 AM

We’ve got a fair bit of rain right now, but I’m hoping that later this week when it starts warming up again I can get the beds cleared out, rototilled, and then get some more dirt to add to the beds and re-till it. Once I get that done, I can start planning and possibly planting some cooler weather stuff.

arelyn 04-03-2021 10:26 PM

My sister's chickens dug up a big section of the lettuce bed. Any ideas on how to keep them out? They free range around the large fenced yard. There's a little fence around the garden but nothing a chicken can't fly over (its more to discourage the dog).

PrincessAnika 04-04-2021 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arelyn (Post 6248178)
My sister's chickens dug up a big section of the lettuce bed. Any ideas on how to keep them out? They free range around the large fenced yard. There's a little fence around the garden but nothing a chicken can't fly over (its more to discourage the dog).

String aluminum (disposable) pie plates and hang across the top?

Sundance 04-04-2021 05:43 AM

I use poultry netting around the garden to fence the chickens out.
It's electric, but I've never plugged it in.

Having the top floppy is key, because they can't land on top. My fence isn't higher than my inseam.

charla 04-04-2021 07:25 AM

Bought flowers and vegetable plants yesterday and hope to plant them this afternoon in Hope's flower garden and the vegetable garden. Can't think of a better Easter activity! :)

heartofjoy 04-04-2021 12:33 PM

I've finished planting in both of my large beds. Soaked some morning glory seeds last night and poked them in the dirt by my trellises. I have vines to grow on the trellises but they are small and I don't know how big they'll get this year.

Trimmed my hibiscus. Bought 2 hanging baskets one bougainvillea and one yellow petunia.

Made my little herb bed.

I have 6 large trees or shrubs to plant. I need to get those in asap. But it's so much work to dig the holes.

Sundance 04-04-2021 05:32 PM

We had a snow storm today!

heartofjoy 04-04-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundance (Post 6248210)
We had a snow storm today!

I would scream! I keep obsessively checking the 10 day forecast to make sure we aren't going to have any crazy weather coming up.

It's supposed to be 96 on Wednesday!

ECingMama 04-04-2021 07:59 PM

My son prepped our garden yesterday. We had tomatoes and peas last year.

passthemanna 04-04-2021 08:49 PM

I need to plant greens. I don't know how I made time to plant stuff last year! I need to trim hooves and shear sheep soon too.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

derdsgirl 04-05-2021 03:34 PM

DH made me a small greenhouse over the weekend from the wood of an old Ikea bunk bed. Ultimate Ikea hack. Haha! I up-potted a bunch of tomatoes this past weekend, and transplanted out my brussel sprout starts. I can taste Thanksgiving dinner. YUM. :)

Today I'm starting a few more seeds. I didn't start any slicing tomatoes before, so I am doing that. And I found a few more types of flowers I'd like to have. I also got my seed potatos today. Not sure if I'll get to planting them today. I need to uppot the rest of the tomatoes first. I got soil blockers so I'm going to see if I can use those to up-pot, but I'm not sure if they will crumble when I try and make bigger holes for the starts. I did start my new seeds in soil blocks though. :rockon I'm trying to reduce plastic dependence in the garden.

heartofjoy 04-05-2021 04:09 PM

I took some pictures today. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6f5c31e74c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...56e197e1c7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...494b8d55ba.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b3a8af9257.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6a80bc3e8e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5d99fecbff.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6f2db0f461.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...005f90a5b0.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Enjoy the flowers! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3bdb074356.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...fee07644e5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2d24a98471.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6033f5a661.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9692e91ff9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...be317121e4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9af04e8717.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...bc3967c5be.jpg

Soliloquy 04-07-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arelyn (Post 6248178)

Aviary netting over the beds. Free-ranging chickens will spread weeds in a garden like you cannot believe. Oy. I learned the hard way.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

I bought some more violas to plant.

I need to get the beds ready in my vegetable garden. Normally I'd have that done by now and the cold-hardy greens already planted.

Singingmom 04-08-2021 07:22 PM

Heartofjoy, your flower garden is a beautiful sight!

I’ve never had a successful garden before. This year for my birthday, I asked my dh to build a tiny raised garden for me. I hope to have a salad garden with marigolds.

derdsgirl 04-09-2021 06:47 PM

I finally got my potatoes planted. I need to 100% finalize my summer garden plan. I planted extra starts knowing some would die and that I wasn't completely sure how many of each variety I wanted to plant in the end. And now as I'm up-potting and filling in gaps I need to really just finalize.

MamaMansa 04-11-2021 04:21 PM

We’re planning a vegetable garden for the first time in years. I gave up for a while because I kept either accidentally killing things or bunnies and squirrels would get at them. We moved last year, and I left my raised beds behind, but we have lots of garden space here. So far I’m planning tomatoes, peppers, and green beans...maybe zucchini. However, I’ve never successfully grown tomatoes. I live in the Midwest and would love tomato variety suggestions or just suggestions in general for tomato plants.

twoplustwo 04-12-2021 06:23 AM

Today is dd's virtual day. She says she will plant the seeds (spinach, sugar snap peas) today. If they don't grow this time, I am giving up on gardening for eating.