Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Do you wash toddler dipers with newborn ones? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=504195)

Michele123 05-10-2014 05:39 AM

Do you wash toddler dipers with newborn ones?

DD (2yo) only wears a diaper when she sleeps. Her nap ones are wet 2/3's of the time and her night ones are usually quite soaked. She rarely poops in a diaper.

Should I wash these diapers separate from the newborn diapers I'll be having soon? We plan to EBF again, if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bentlaj11 05-10-2014 06:36 AM

Re: Do you wash toddler dipers with newborn ones?

I did (and will again). I'm currently having problems w/ the 4 y/o's and ammonia, so I'm trying a quick rinse before I put them in the diaper pail to see if that helps. But I wash them all together. I think my 2 y/o may be diaper free at night before my 4 y/o :jawdrop

OatsandBran11 05-10-2014 07:07 AM

I don't see any reason why you could not wash them together. My DD also only uses diapers at night and I go way longer than I should between washings so I might no be the best person to ask though!

2sunshines 05-10-2014 08:39 AM

Unless you experience any specific problems, I'd wash them together. I don't like to wait too long between washes, I usually wash diapers every day or every 2nd day at most when I had a child in diapers, so it'd be hard to justify a whole load for one or two toddler diapers.

marigold 05-10-2014 08:57 AM

I wash my 6 yr old's night time diaper, my 3 year old's diapers, trainers, peed in pants, and my baby's stuff all at once. I also throw in any wet things like clothes with stain remover and wet kitchen cloths :O. I wash it every night and if it is warm enough it goes straight onto the wash line the next morning.

LearningMama 05-10-2014 11:19 AM

I wash them together (in Tide original powder :shifty).

Michele123 05-10-2014 11:48 AM

Thank you ladies! Washing together will be much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanookmama 05-10-2014 03:02 PM

If you're worried about ammonia from the toddler diapers you can out 1/4 cup of bleach in the wash, then add an extra rinse. This could void some warranties, but it comes from Bum Genius's site, so it won't void theirs. It is the only thing I've ever found to fix my oldest's ammonia stink.

Soliloquy 05-10-2014 03:13 PM

I always did. I did a pre-wash with cold water and no detergent, first.

bentlaj11 05-10-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanookmama (Post 5756331)
If you're worried about ammonia from the toddler diapers you can out 1/4 cup of bleach in the wash, then add an extra rinse. This could void some warranties, but it comes from Bum Genius's site, so it won't void theirs. It is the only thing I've ever found to fix my oldest's ammonia stink.

I've got my 4 y/o's soaking in hot water (after a couple of washes). I've been thinking about trying some oxiclean or getting some bac-out... I'll see if I have some bleach if you think that would work on natural fibers (cotton bamboo, and maybe hemp?). They are starting to show some signs of wear, so I'm not too worried about harming them by trying something. Although I hope they last long enough for him to be night-time dry. Wowzers they are burning bad, though! I need to research ammonia build-up some. He's wetting pretty early in the night (the last few times I've checked) even though he goes to the br before I put it on him. I've tried to wake him up, but he just gets mad and refuses to go :doh Hopefully I can find something to kill the ammonia build-up!

Sorry to derail the thread! :D

LearningMama 05-10-2014 06:29 PM

A good long soak in Oxi-Clean Free and Clear got rid of the ammonia for me. I tried vinegar, bak-out, Rock n Green funk rock, and stripping with dawn; none of them worked. Oxi-clean is what finally worked.

bentlaj11 05-10-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LearningMama (Post 5756465)
A good long soak in Oxi-Clean Free and Clear got rid of the ammonia for me. I tried vinegar, bak-out, Rock n Green funk rock, and stripping with dawn; none of them worked. Oxi-clean is what finally worked.

Thanks! I have some on hand... I'll go start a soak now :)