Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Pressure Cooker Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   Troubleshooting my Instant Pot (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=528334)

RealLifeMama 04-07-2020 05:09 PM

Troubleshooting my Instant Pot

Now, with all the frozen chicken and rice we have, is not the time for my IP to go out on me.

I was making Mexican rice, and it is not coming to pressure. It said it had and counted the timer down, then I let it sit for NPR, and then checked the rice and it had not cooked. So, I tried it again and saw that the little plug is not popping up. I took the lid off and put it back on, and then the plug popped up, but then it did not stay up.

I put 4 cups of rice in there along with 6 cups of liquid, I can't get it to cook. I am sick thinking I wasted my ingredients, but I really want to know what to do with my pot. Has anyone had this happen?

Mother of Sons 04-07-2020 05:38 PM

Re: Troubleshooting my Instant Pot

Check your sealing ring. It may be loose or not there at all. I recently lost one and I have no idea how it happened.

Also make sure there is no food trapped in the grooves.

knitlove 04-07-2020 06:23 PM

Yes check your sealing ring - and if you have to check it while it is hot run it under cold water before putting it back in.

I was starting to have lots of issues with mine, I bough new rings and all my issues went away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sundance 04-07-2020 06:41 PM

My pot doesn't give the BURN notice.... it just starts counting down without sealing.
Make sure you have enough water for steam & no big chunks of anything sitting right on the bottom that'll scorch before it has sealed.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Sometimes rice will absorb the liquid before enough steam is created to seal it.

Soliloquy 04-07-2020 08:15 PM

Mine has done that and it's the sealing ring. When it's boiling inside, sometimes I have to press down on the lid to get a seal. I press until it pops up and locks. I have been meaning to order a new sealing ring for a long time but it doesn't happen every time, maybe every third time.

ViolaMum 04-08-2020 04:45 AM

Thank you! My pot did that a couple of times earlier this year and I couldn't figure it out.

2sunshines 04-08-2020 04:25 PM

Yea, for me, it's been one of 3 things.

Not enough liquid (solution: add more liquid and stir).

Sealing ring slightly off (solution: run your finger along the ring to make sure it's on right and tight enough teh whole way around).

Sealing ring worn out (this hasn't yet happened to me, I've always been able to resolve it with the above step, but I imagine this is inevitable and will happen some day... I have a back up sealing ring on hand)