Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Soups *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=539)
-   -   Bone Broth 101 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=459280)

3boysforme 09-30-2012 06:08 PM

Re: Bone Broth 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalaithnil (Post 4879099)
Elaborate on the beans in the crock for me? Did you soak them first or anything, or just rinse them and throw them in the crock with the broth? How much of each?
I'm not an experienced bean cooker, but this sounds yummy!

Yea I want to know about the beans too. What kind are you using?

The only way I know to cook beans is Southerfied and it is not healthy in any kind of way. :shifty

I made Salisbury steak and "gravy" with some beef broth, oh my stars it was yummy. :yum

Chaos Coordinator 09-30-2012 07:31 PM

they were navy beans (gaps legal :tu)

i soak them overnight.

i like to soak the beans overnight, then put them in the crock pot after church and they're done for dinner.

i've been doing half a pound of beans to 3 cups of broth. i think i'm going to up to 1 lb of beans and six cups of broth though because we are kinda on a beans and rice budget, without the rice. so, in other words, i'm going ot be offering beans at every meal.

brb with more.

crunchymum 09-30-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilik (Post 4879045)
I use arrowroot for gravy too! I use a tiny little 2" mesh sieve with a handle to dust it in so I don't have to stir it for an hour to get the lumps out. :giggle

:giggle the trick is to mix it with cold water or broth first, and then slowly pour it into the rest. ;)

Chaos Coordinator 09-30-2012 07:38 PM

Okay, in an ideal world I season my beans with half an onion and several garlic cloves. Just throw them in. They disintegrate for the most part. If it really bothered you, you could obliterate them first or use powdered versions instead. And I add sea salt and sometimes black pepper.

Sometimes I'll cook the beans with a whole jalapeņo and equal parts chili powder and ground cumin and then serve with taco meat.

If you get tired of the beans before they're gone, mash them to make bean dip or put on tacos/burritos.

Beans are like 60 cents a pound. Beans are your friend. :yes

3boysforme 09-30-2012 07:42 PM

Joy are you using beef or chicken broth? Or whatever you have at the time?

I think I will try this next week.

Chaos Coordinator 09-30-2012 07:44 PM

Either would work. I've never made beef broth, just chicken and turkey.

The other night I served mashed beans with hunks of steak mixed in. :yum it was a good way to split a steak three ways, still get my steak medicine in, and it was very filling!

LearningMama 09-30-2012 08:06 PM

My chicken is done, partly eaten, and cut. :tu Now I have a chicken carcass. How much meat and such do I need to get off the carcass and bones? Do they need to be completely clean?

Chaos Coordinator 09-30-2012 08:43 PM

nah.

i just get off as much as i feel like digging through. i didn't even bother with the ribs or wings this go round. tons of work, yields very little meat...no thanks.

StumblinMama 09-30-2012 08:52 PM

I quit soaking my beans. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do that, but I read (here maybe?) that lots of people make beans without soaking. I made a pot of red beans in the crock pot the other day. I covered with water, tossed in about half a head of garlic and cooked on high for 6 hours. They were perfect-soft but not cooked to mush.

I'll have to try it with the broth :yum

Chaos Coordinator 09-30-2012 08:53 PM

soaking the beans removes the phytates. or something.

lalaithnil 09-30-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator (Post 4879467)
soaking the beans removes the phytates. or something.

Yeah, it's supposed to make them less farty, I believe. :shifty

Chaos Coordinator 09-30-2012 09:03 PM

it makes them easier to digest :giggle important when you're on GAPS trying to heal your belly.

sweetpeasmommy 09-30-2012 09:26 PM

For grain free gravy you can blend cauliflower, carrots whatever you have on hand and use that to thicken a reduced broth. Or you can just cook down your broth a lot.

shekinah 09-30-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy (Post 4879514)
For grain free gravy you can blend cauliflower, carrots whatever you have on hand and use that to thicken a reduced broth. Or you can just cook down your broth a lot.

Ohhh that is interesting. Is arrowroot considered a grain? That's what I use for gravies, and it makes it really thick with no added taste. I will have to try some mashed carrots. That sounds delicious!

LearningMama 10-01-2012 08:49 AM

So I'm in my kitchen feeling pretty proud of myself. I roasted a chicken last night that turned out great and now I have the bones and veggies on the stove making broth. I also have kombucha underneath my kitchen sink. Then it came to me, the prefect name for a cooking show (if it hasn't already been used).

:idea
Cooking it Old School

carry on....:giggle