Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gentle Discipline *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   New blog/podcast and parenting hack (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529372)

rjy9343 03-07-2021 08:53 AM

New blog/podcast and parenting hack

I went to a mom's retreat yesterday and listened to a speaker from Homeschooling without Training wheels. I'm not sure how gentle she is so I am not going to link it, but she still has a lot of good ideas for sibling conflict that isn't shut it down and shame them. In fact, she's really emphatic that you do not shame at all. I have already used some of her ideas and they really do help.
One of the things I picked up from another woman who was there is to ask your child math questions when they are really emotional. It moves you from the emotional part of your brain into the logical part and helps reset. James tried it today with a very overwhelmed Jacob and it was magic. He went from the verge of a complete melt down to calm after four or five questions. If your child is too young to add, you can try asking them to count or asking them what color something is or some other fact they know to get them to their logical brain.

tempus vernum 03-07-2021 10:03 AM

Re: New blog/podcast and parenting hack

:tu That sounds very similar to skip COuntting and other self
Soothing methods.

Aerynne 03-07-2021 11:42 AM

I think this is an interesting tactic but could be done respectfully or not and we should be careful (I’m sure everyone here will be great at that but recommending it outside of gcm we might urge some caution). After some listening and comforting I would probably ask a child if that would be okay. But I think it depends on the parent and the child. Or if the child didn’t want to answer I could see myself reciting math facts out loud within their hearing to switch brain function.

MamaRachel 03-07-2021 12:21 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to keep the math idea in mind and see if it's helpful for my kids.

tempus vernum 03-08-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6245687)
I think this is an interesting tactic but could be done respectfully or not and we should be careful (I’m sure everyone here will be great at that but recommending it outside of gcm we might urge some caution). After some listening and comforting I would probably ask a child if that would be okay. But I think it depends on the parent and the child. Or if the child didn’t want to answer I could see myself reciting math facts out loud within their hearing to switch brain function.

That’s pretty much my thought on it. Especially the bolded. I’m gonna try it for myself and suggest S put in the self soothing tool box

deena 03-08-2021 10:56 AM

Great tip for us adults too, when we get upset!

ECingMama 03-08-2021 02:31 PM

I'm going to try. Thanks!

kimiels 03-15-2021 05:21 AM

Great tips. Thanks for this. I also think it's very useful for many mothers.

rjy9343 03-15-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimiels (Post 6246299)
Great tips. Thanks for this. I also think it's very useful for many mothers.

It is useful, especially if you ask questions you don't know off the top of your head. Fractions are tough for me, but my ten year old knows them cold.

ECingMama 03-15-2021 08:46 AM

It's worked twice for me with my 3.5 year old. Just counting.

tempus vernum 03-16-2021 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6246318)
It's worked twice for me with my 3.5 year old. Just counting.

Have you tried 5,4,3,2,1— it’s such a lovely way to ground oneself. It’s my favorite....

Name
5 things you see
4 things you touch
3 things you hear
2 things you smell
1 thing you taste

Kinda like I spy but engages all your senses and physically results in grounding... Wish I had known about it when my kids were tiny

ECingMama 03-16-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6246401)
Have you tried 5,4,3,2,1— it’s such a lovely way to ground oneself. It’s my favorite....

Name
5 things you see
4 things you touch
3 things you hear
2 things you smell
1 thing you taste

Kinda like I spy but engages all your senses and physically results in grounding... Wish I had known about it when my kids were tiny

I haven't.

I used the counting at bedtime when she spent 20 minutes organizing her books and then threw a fit about not having time left to read before lights out. I was already in bed. She didn't want to join me. Time change is rough. We counted the books while snuggling in the dark. It was lovely.

Lady Grey 03-16-2021 10:59 PM

I do that some times with toddlers. My current LE really likes counting down. (and probably does that better than counting up lol)

Several years ago I was at a funeral that was especially painful for me and every time I started to panic, I mentally started listing all of the hs curriculum I had just ordered. It was surprisingly calming.