Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   baby wearing during hot weather (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529585)

Abigail 06-18-2021 03:35 AM

baby wearing during hot weather

Hi
I'd like to know your experiences and advice concerning baby wearing during hot weather. My 6-month old sleeps all his naps in a wrap (front carry) and the weather is hot right now. What did you moms do to keep your baby cool enough?

MudPies 06-18-2021 05:25 AM

Re: baby wearing during hot weather

I got a carrier that was thinner. I was not a wrapper, but surely there are ones made with a lighter weave that is less hot. I had a MT with a mesh-like panel and it helped a lot

MegMarch 06-18-2021 06:00 AM

I've heard to use a cooling towel like a Frog Togg around your own neck. You can put a muslin cloth between you and the baby to give a smidge of breathing room and sweat absorbing.

kiloyd 06-20-2021 08:30 PM

I kept baby's feet out. But I didn't use a wrap, used a sling or Ergo. Maybe keep an arm and head out? One foot? Be sure your not out in the heat too long?

ViolaMum 06-21-2021 10:29 AM

I used carries that didn't require too many layers to wrap (usually a simple ruck on my back), kept them in onesies, and wore a cotton tank top myself. Mine all liked to have all of their limbs out after a certain age, so I was definitely restricted in what I could do when they were asleep. Three out of four absolutely refused to have anything over their heads, ever (even in Ergo-type carriers).

Gauze wraps are cooler. My Ellevil was a little lighter than the others as well. I know there are brands that are supposed to be cooler. I can't recall off the top of my head, though.

marbles 06-21-2021 12:10 PM

I did the same as others here, onesie and cotton shirts cause skin on skin gets hot. Single layer wraps, I like back carries better in the heat. I had a storchenwiege which I LOVED it's sturdy but very thin and breathable. It's also low maintenance so easy to keep cool in it.

Do you have a baby wearing group around you? Ours had a nice lending library and I borrowed a gauze wrap once that was wonderful. It was a size 3 I think so it was bare bones, no extra fabric. I liked it a lot too. You might be able to try different types and see what you like!

deena 06-21-2021 04:50 PM

Today is so hot and humid, there is just no way I could put my two month old in her carrier. I'm just holding her in my arms instead.

knitlove 06-21-2021 04:57 PM

I used my ellearoo a lot in the hot. It was a shorter wrap ( but I am short enough that it is still a wrap) and thin.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

marbles 06-21-2021 09:23 PM

Oh a Mei Tai is also really helpful in the summer because it's the breathability of a wrap but the sides are open to allow for more air flow. I had one of those I used too, I forgot cause my third didn't like it as much as my second.

ViolaMum 06-22-2021 06:23 PM

I had a linen ring sling that was good in the heat, too. (I would swing the baby out away from me to cool off occasionally.) I forgot about that one!

tempus vernum 07-01-2021 07:54 AM

I used a water sling and wet us down regularly. It’s the one I used to shower w them.

deena 07-01-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempus vernum (Post 6253581)
I used a water sling and wet us down regularly. It’s the one I used to shower w them.

Oh wow. I didn't know that was a thing. Innovative idea.

arelyn 07-01-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbles (Post 6253083)
Oh a Mei Tai is also really helpful in the summer because it's the breathability of a wrap but the sides are open to allow for more air flow. I had one of those I used too, I forgot cause my third didn't like it as much as my second.

I have a linen mei tai that I loved using during our tropical summers.

tempus vernum 07-01-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deena (Post 6253592)
Oh wow. I didn't know that was a thing. Innovative idea.

I sew so I made it myself ( 21 years ago :giggle ) but now there are premade pool/beach ones you can buy even on Amazon ;)

ViolaMum 07-01-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempus vernum (Post 6253601)
I sew so I made it myself ( 21 years ago :giggle ) but now there are premade pool/beach ones you can buy even on Amazon ;)

I had one that I bought - 13 years ago? It was a quick dry mesh fabric that had an SPF rating, too. Thanks for the reminder! It was comfy.

kimimiles 10-10-2022 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6253605)
I had one that I bought - 13 years ago? It was a quick dry mesh fabric that had an SPF rating, too. Thanks for the reminder! It was comfy.

While choosing comfortable sleeper pajamas, you must take into consideration several factors, such as longevity, pattern and style. In addition, you need to check the sizing chart and determine your silhouette, if applicable. I recommend read this review https://startup.info/fear-not-going-...ather-pajamas/