Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Vitamin D FAQ :) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=348915)

DancingWithElves 10-31-2010 07:04 PM

Re: Vitamin D FAQ :)

this is a good time to resurrect this thread. :sun

wanted to add that my lovely tube of sunscreen got no action this year :shrug3 my kids are darker-skinned, and since I've been on very antioxidant-rich diet, i hardly hardly ever burn. :)

DancingWithElves 12-28-2010 03:23 PM

just got my levels back.

23 :hiding

not cool :no

off to chug some supplements :lol

julbug 12-31-2010 03:13 PM

I'm just seeing this thread. I'm vitamin D deficient and my doctor has me on the little green capsules that somebody posted a link to a picture of. Should I not be taking those? I've taken three (one a week) so far. She specifically had me on these because it is a super high dose and then said I could go with something over the counter after 10 weeks of this.

DancingWithElves 01-01-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

american journal of clinical nutrition:
Quote:
The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement1,2

Lisa A Houghton and Reinhold Vieth 1 From the School of Nutrition and Dietetics, Acadia University, Wolfville, Canada (LAH); the Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada (RV); and the Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada (RV)

Supplemental vitamin D is available in 2 distinct forms: ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3). Pharmacopoeias have officially regarded these 2 forms as equivalent and interchangeable, yet this presumption of equivalence is based on studies of rickets prevention in infants conducted 70 y ago. The emergence of 25-hydroxyvitamin D as a measure of vitamin D status provides an objective, quantitative measure of the biological response to vitamin D administration. As a result, vitamin D3 has proven to be the more potent form of vitamin D in all primate species, including humans. Despite an emerging body of evidence suggesting several plausible explanations for the greater bioefficacy of vitamin D3, the form of vitamin D used in major preparations of prescriptions in North America is vitamin D2. The case that vitamin D2 should no longer be considered equivalent to vitamin D3 is based on differences in their efficacy at raising serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, diminished binding of vitamin D2 metabolites to vitamin D binding protein in plasma, and a nonphysiologic metabolism and shorter shelf life of vitamin D2. Vitamin D2, or ergocalciferol, should not be regarded as a nutrient suitable for supplementation or fortification.
i found a few other studies showing that d2 works for shorter periods of time, is at least 2 if not 3 times less potent, has failed to prevent fractures as compared with d3, etc. etc.
no solid medical info on petrification though.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

h ttp://www.pharmer.org/images/domestic/ergocalciferol-vitamin-d2-pa-140
that's what i said to Crystal above in the thread about taking d2.
your doc is most likely thinking of the dosage he wants you to be on. if you want to stop the little green pills, i would communicate to him that you insist on taking d3 and not d2 and ask what is his recommended dose, and you will have to clarify you do not mind that your insurance does not cover it (which it won't).

cobluegirl 01-01-2011 10:41 PM

so what is Vit d ( no number)

julbug 01-01-2011 10:55 PM

I do know I was specifically prescribed this one because I requested kosher. Is D3 not kosher then?

DancingWithElves 01-01-2011 11:03 PM

honestly, you'll have to google that one. i'd go to luckyvitamin.com and look through what they have available. i believe you may even sort it by kosher there.

Rach, i'm not sure what you are asking :)

cobluegirl 01-01-2011 11:08 PM

Well there is Vit d2 and vit d3(ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3). Pharmacopoeias)..... What is vit d

DancingWithElves 01-02-2011 02:10 AM

usually if you read a label and it just says "vit D" it usually is D2. it's cheaper and is more frequently used, but with bad publicity i think some manufacturers try to pass it off for d3.

when i say vit D, i mean D3, unless otherwise specified ;)

Sandollar 01-17-2011 09:59 AM

I recently started 5000 iu of d3, my level was 21. So 2 questions:
should I take more for a bit to build up my levels?
and can I give my ds hes 10 (68lbs) one 5000iu to boost his immune system? hes sick :(
thanks!

DancingWithElves 01-17-2011 10:03 AM

you can look into what homefirst says regarding the dosing. http://homefirst.com/info-1/current-...itamin-d3.html i would do both, but def. do your reading :yes

DancingWithElves 01-20-2011 12:27 PM

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/vitamin-d/ cute graphic :)

cavemama 02-19-2011 09:36 AM

I found this link

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/healt...y-autism.shtml

in my online travels. My daughter is pregnant and her twin brother is autistic so we were very interested in that connection. It needs to be researched further for sure. In the meantime, they are conducting a study through the Autism Research counsel...5000 units a day for pregnant women. The women in the study already have one autistic child.

I know of several women my age (46) and younger with tested low vitamin D and osteopenia. Including myself. It seems as though the d3 is safer for supplementation than d2.

I also researched the connection on low D and celiac disease and at least one doctor has posited that theory, and vitamin D supplementation as a "cure" for celiac.

Lisa

Soliloquy 02-19-2011 03:33 PM

My mom tested low for vit. D back in the 70s when she was pregnant with me.

Cheyenne 02-22-2011 05:39 PM

I am glad to find this thread. I was off and on taking 1000 IU of D3, but after my friend tested low and her Dr. told her to take 5000 IU, I realized I should take more. I can't get my levels tested right now, but I know I am low. I don't get out in the sun hardly enough.

I read that Vitamin D is actually a prohormone. I found that interesting.

Quote:

Vitamin D, really a 'prohormone' and not a vitamin, has kept its classification as a vitamin due to our bodily needs for it that can be supplied in our diet.

Read more: http://www.easy-immune-health.com/Vi...#ixzz1EjoZ4EhT

mathematicalmessymamma 03-08-2011 10:24 PM

I love Vit D. Add to that list of benefits: infertility and shorter labors

After years of infertility (failure to ovulate) and unsuccessful treatments, we gave up and stopped fertility drugs. Then I found out I was Vit D deficient and started supplementing 3000 IU daily plus I laid out in the sun at least an hour a day. And all of a sudden I started ovulating and 7 months later wound up pregnant! I can't believe no fertility doctor ever thought to test for vit-d deficiency. I found out through researching on my own!

And when I was preggo, my mw told me to keep up the D supplementing b/c it made for shorter labors. I haven't done the research on that but I only had 2 hours active labor so my mw was right at least in my case.

abbiroads 03-22-2011 12:55 PM

My dr just perscribed
Quote:

ERGOCALCIFEROL 50,000 UNIT CAPSULE
Instructions: Take by mouth. one capsule every other day for one month. then weekly for 3 months.

After getting 12 on the blood test. Should I call him back and tell him I want D3?

DancingWithElves 03-22-2011 01:36 PM

oh, abbs :( that's not a good number at.all. i am not aware of a high potency vit D3 that even can be rx'ed. i'd start by calling any local pharmacy you trust/talking to a pharmacist you trust. they would know more about what's *available* by rx. if it just isn't, i'd go with a supplement from a reputable retailer and pay $$ out of pocket.

abbiroads 03-22-2011 02:48 PM

Should I start the perscription in the mean time?

DancingWithElves 03-22-2011 03:21 PM

it is better than nothing, i'd start

curlymopmom 04-11-2011 07:42 AM

I can't believe I never saw this sticky before! I just got my #s back today and I'm at 25. Doc is prescribing D2 (I'm almost positive). But I'll skip that and go with the D3. ;) I'll get retested in a few weeks and then see what happens in the summer when I'll get outside lots.

DancingWithElves 04-11-2011 10:25 AM

i would not re-test for at least 4 weeks :) and yes, :phew summer's almost here

curlymopmom 04-11-2011 10:45 AM

Thanks Irene! :heart I figured about 8, since that's what they wrote the prescription out for the D2 that I won't take. :giggle

Rabbit 04-13-2011 07:31 PM

Josh just got a letter from his doc, after a physical. His level is also 8. He's prescribed the apparently standard response: Ergocalciferol, 50,000 UNIT Capsule. 1 per week, for three months.

I don't really know what to do.

DancingWithElves 04-13-2011 08:50 PM

:hugheart that's not a pretty number

could you afford oil-based drops? i like high potency NSI D3 from vitacost. iirc, they weren't entirely unreasonably priced.

Rabbit 04-13-2011 09:03 PM

I run a Frontier wholesale co-op. I can get a lot of things cheap through that. I'll look there.

DancingWithElves 04-13-2011 09:04 PM

:tu

curlymopmom 04-13-2011 09:05 PM

How do you know how much to take? Is it the same amount, just spread out every day?

I was prescribed the same thing. I've been taking 10,000 IU now every day of the D3 oil-based Carlson drops, sometimes an extra drop or two if I feel like it. :shrug3 I'm not really sure if that's 'right' but am not worried about it based on research I did a while back.

DancingWithElves 04-14-2011 09:01 AM

you make an educated guess of what to take, and then re-test in 2-3 months :) (that's what doc do with rx d2 too)

curlymopmom 04-14-2011 09:10 AM

:rockon That's what I'm doing!!! Thanks! :heart

Rabbit 04-14-2011 09:20 AM

We are going to use the prescribed amount, but D3 instead of D2, and show up for the retest in 3 months, to evaluate the effectiveness of that dose.

nadezhda 05-02-2011 10:50 AM

My recent blood test results were something like 12 or 13 (can't remember for sure - had a lot of things tested :phew) for Vit D. I've been on supplements for 3 weeks, now and feel worse. Basically, the supplements are corn-oil based & I've confirmed my corn sensitivity/allergy. :sigh I've been instructed to go off my D3 supplement for a week to see if that alleviates my migraines & rage. :shifty

In the interim, would a fish oil supplement help, since that appears to be a significant source of vit D? :think

Rabbit 05-02-2011 10:59 AM

You can switch to any form of vit D your body can handle. There are a lot of manufacturers, and some natural food sources.

cobluegirl 05-02-2011 11:00 AM

oh man. can you find some vit d that isn't corn based? CLO or fish oil couldn't hurt anything I wouldn't think...unless their is corn oil in it as well. My Vitd is coconut oil based..btw.

nadezhda 05-02-2011 11:23 AM

No corn in my fish oil. :phew I bought it for Mac, actually, hoping it would help him w/his focus, but I didn't realize the capsules were so big (our local-yokel store didn't have just the liquid :no2). I checked the ingredients today & CF! :tu So, I'm going to start those & see if I can tolerate them. :yes

DancingWithElves 05-02-2011 12:47 PM

fish oil has no vit D or very little. Cod Liver oil does :) Vitacost, Nsi brand is based on olive oil.

nadezhda 05-02-2011 12:53 PM

:yes2 :sigh After I got all excited, thinking I could use what I have, I checked the nutrition facts & saw my particular fish oil is really high in vit E, but virtually no D. :rolleyes That'll teach me to think I don't need to go out & buy new supplements! :giggle

PrincessAnika 06-13-2011 08:35 PM

i had my levels tested while doing other bloodwork last week....i can't remember if dr said 13 or 17 - either way, really low. she sent a script in for me i'll pick up tomorrow, my brain is too foggy to remember how much/when to take - if its not d3 i'll switch, i should be able to find it pretty inexpensively at our one store. read through this whole thread, though, and can't find the answer to my question::
dd2 is 8wks. does vitd cross the placenta? (i would think it would...) is mine that low, because she took it all? :giggle or are we both low? i don't want to have her tested if i don't have to. should i start her on something as well?

DancingWithElves 06-13-2011 09:30 PM

i'd say that this time of year you both need to be outside. i have no idea what vit D does in mother/fetus situation. But i know for sure that whatever the baby got then isn't working for her now, and your milk is deficient. if a mother i low on vit D, so is her milk. So, go outside, just until you start turning pink. Then you made all the D you will in that day. Don't bathe for at least 12 hrs, or you'll wash it off. Repeat ;) :sun

SamRose 06-14-2011 05:41 AM

Can somebody remind me how much skin needs to be exposed and for how long to get the Vit D needed?