Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   easy, cute, (rather inexpensive) gift crafts... without sewing? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=265803)

GlacierLily 12-01-2008 10:23 AM

Re: easy, cute, (rather inexpensive) gift crafts... without sewing?

:) thanks for this neat thread!

JenClark74 12-01-2008 01:55 PM

Maybe you're already done, since it's getting close to Christmas, but here's another idea. For my birthday, my friend made me some adorable photo blocks.

She got a 4x4 piece of untreated lumber cut into cube blocks at Home Depot (they charge a nominal fee for the cuts). Then she decoupaged the blocks with scrapbooking papers, and put all sorts of pretty embellishments and quotes and stuff on them, and left empty places for me to add photos. She gave me a set of 5 blocks. (And she got a total of like 27 blocks out of one piece of wood, for less than $10.)

You can see pics on my blog http://jenanddarrellclark.blogspot.c...-counting.html.

JessicaTX 12-01-2008 02:22 PM

I think I'm going to make and personalize marshmallow shooters for everyone in my extended family that will be getting together on christmas. I originally was thinking just the kids, but then I thought the dads might want to get in on that action too, and if dads are armed moms should be. *ponder*
http://www.howtoons.com/toon/the-inf...allow-shooter/

joyful mama 12-01-2008 03:00 PM

cute! I'm making a bunch of scrapbooks, pretty simple ones. and my aromatherapy stuff is coming out much better than expected :rockon

thrillofhope 10-20-2009 07:05 PM

Bumping because I want to see if anyone has any more ideas for this year. I'm totally craft challenged.

dazdnconfzd2 01-06-2010 08:14 PM

I like to make the fleece blankets, but I can never figure out how to make the fleece scarfs. I wish I knew how to use a sewing machine my crafts would be endless.

Sweet Life 01-06-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenClark74 (Post 2001083)
Maybe you're already done, since it's getting close to Christmas, but here's another idea. For my birthday, my friend made me some adorable photo blocks.

She got a 4x4 piece of untreated lumber cut into cube blocks at Home Depot (they charge a nominal fee for the cuts). Then she decoupaged the blocks with scrapbooking papers, and put all sorts of pretty embellishments and quotes and stuff on them, and left empty places for me to add photos. She gave me a set of 5 blocks. (And she got a total of like 27 blocks out of one piece of wood, for less than $10.)

You can see pics on my blog http://jenanddarrellclark.blogspot.c...-counting.html.

ooh i love this idea :yes

jojola 01-08-2010 04:29 AM

I made this http://www.cranstonvillage.com/proje...ult&collContId=

It's in the crafty thread.

It was so so easy! Cut, tie, enjoy.

mommylobster 01-28-2011 11:30 AM

:bump

just in case anyone has more ideas. I'm looking for a gift for my sister. Free is the best :shifty (I'm not cheap, just low budget :giggle)

I'd really like to make her a journal that I typed up (so that every page has questions and space to answer - this is what she's told me she needs) but I don't know how to bind it - I could use a binder but I wanted something a little nicer kwim?)

renjac 12-24-2011 10:44 AM

Fleece scarfs make GREAT gifts,and they are so warm :)

MaryPoppinsIAin't 05-07-2012 07:11 PM

If you crochet at all (or even if you don't... it's easy to learn) there are tons of patterns for cute little toys, favors, & decorations on the internet. I can't afford toys for my son... so I make them out of the ridiculous amounts of embroidery floss I've collected over the years. If you're the sort to improvise, once you've got the basic technique down I've found it easy to start with a mental image and just create something nifty. First time I tried I ended up with a rather respectable Dory a la Finding Nemo.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommylobster (Post 3642004)
:bump

just in case anyone has more ideas. I'm looking for a gift for my sister. Free is the best :shifty (I'm not cheap, just low budget :giggle)

I'd really like to make her a journal that I typed up (so that every page has questions and space to answer - this is what she's told me she needs) but I don't know how to bind it - I could use a binder but I wanted something a little nicer kwim?)

Sew it. Seriously I did this with the guest book for my wedding, because I wanted to use the special paper I bought instead of the plain pages it came with. I just bought a guest book I liked, carefully pulled out the pages it had (glued in binding), sewed my paper in smallish bundles (I think 5 or six pages together), and then glued my pages into the spine of the cover. It was a while ago, but I think I remember using just a basic hot glue gun. Be careful not to glop it and end up with too much, a little goes a LONG way! :)

SewingGreenMama 08-31-2012 02:18 PM

This is a diy car freshener, with felt, peel and stick craft foam, string, and scent (liquid potpourri, essential oils) I plan on using 2 layers of wool felt blend and sew them together rather then the foam, and essential oil.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...html#more-8771

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

stencil a dark shirt with bleach.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...html#more-8719

Hannah Elise 09-20-2012 08:34 PM

Subbing.

Hopetobe 09-28-2013 05:21 PM

:cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

tessiemae 10-30-2014 02:11 PM

My neighbor always gives us a jar of something for Christmas ...
last year it was homemade spice rub for chicken, meat, etc.
the year before, it was spicy pecans
the year before, it was Rolos barely melted into (pressed into) mini pretzels

The timing is perfect because then I have something special for when people come over. That said, we all love that my aunt gives us fudge every year.

A friend made us limoncello last year. It was wonderful to pour over vanilla icecream or cake or to just drink with espresso after dinner on New Years.

When it comes to children, my favorite gift to receive is a bookmark -- with or without photos, but with the name somewhere on it. My Bible is full of these treasures, and I pray for each child every time I open the Book and see their bookmark.

I also think a tiny book is a great gift -- illustrated by the children, maybe -- of favorite recipes, Bible verses, or even a story that the family wrote.

peace,
tessiemae