Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Daylight Savings Time Sunday, March 13 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530112)

Llee 03-08-2022 06:15 AM

Daylight Savings Time Sunday, March 13

Are you ready? ;)

twoplustwo 03-08-2022 07:26 AM

Re: Daylight Savings Time Sunday, March 13

Never!

Aerynne 03-08-2022 07:44 AM

:jump :jump :jump It’s the most wonderful time of the year! :jump :jump :jump

:jump2 :jump2 :jump2

Truly my very favorite day!

Soliloquy 03-08-2022 10:24 AM

Blah. I wish they'd just leave it alone!

Aerynne 03-08-2022 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6267336)
Blah. I wish they'd just leave it alone!

Me too! Leave it on daylight time!

Mother of Sons 03-08-2022 10:36 AM

I can’t wait!! It’s when I get to feel like a human again.

knitlove 03-08-2022 11:30 AM

I am trying to syke my self up to deal with it. I hate that just when I finally have light in the morning while I am making breakfast it get stolen away from me, and it takes another whole month to get it back. And by that time the sun is already making bed time hard because sun doesn't set isn't untill 8.

I was kind of ambivalent about day lights saving time when I lived in the south but now that I am up north I vehemently hate it. And will activity try to convince dh to move if they actually pass the law to make us stay on this horrable time all year where most of the morning are dark.

I do so so much better with sunlight in the morning to help me get up and moving and dark at night - but I know that this is the wrong option so I try not to mention it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

derdsgirl 03-08-2022 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6267347)

I do so so much better with sunlight in the morning to help me get up and moving and dark at night - but I know that this is the wrong option so I try not to mention it.

Neither option is wrong. I'm a night owl - I LOVE the shift to having daylight later in the day, but I completely understand that other people are morning people and have trouble sleeping when it is so light outside. I don't think there is a right and wrong, we are each just wired differently.

Also, having grown up without it though, I can say, even as a night person, it was fine. The changes back and forth are what is far more jarring than what time it is actually light or dark. But I think I grew up in what is considered daylight savings? I honestly don't understand exactly how it all works. It was light to like 10 or so during the summer.

knitlove 03-08-2022 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derdsgirl (Post 6267353)
Neither option is wrong.

Oh it is definitely the wrong thing to say in my area. I have been told that it is classest and racist to not support day light savings time year round. Because 'real' people have to 'actually' work and they deserve day light and that means daylights savings time.

Sundance 03-08-2022 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6267357)
Oh it is definitely the wrong thing to say in my area. I have been told that it is classest and racist to not support day light savings time year round. Because 'real' people have to 'actually' work and they deserve day light and that means daylights savings time.

But regardless of what time the clock says, we have the same amount of light at a given time of year! That argument seems foolish to me!

I like the analogy of cutting a foot of the bottom of the blanket & sewing it to the top & being convinced you have a longer blanket!!

I am not a fan of changing time & we're farmers. But our government has brought up the idea of staying on daylight savings time all year & where we live, in the fall, that would mean that through Nov, Dec & Jan, it'd be near 9 AM before the sun rose & kids would be waiting for the bus & arriving at school in the dark!

Aerynne 03-08-2022 02:37 PM

The blanket analogy works if you consider no ability to move the blanket on your body. If the blanket isn’t long enough, some people would prefer their feet uncovered so they can cover their shoulders. Others prefer their feet covered even if it means shoulders uncovered. Unfortunately we all have to have the same thing, at least in any given geographic region. Dark evenings give me anxiety. My anxiety goes up when the sun goes down unless it is already getting close to bedtime for the children.

I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer- I just know what my preference is. Daylight affects so much of our moods and abilities to do things.

Sundance 03-08-2022 03:20 PM

Where we live, we have daylight from well before 5 AM till about 10 PM in the middle of summer, so that's why it's not as significant, I think (though it is in the fall).
And our schedules are pretty flexible--we don't have to get up for a bus at a specific time or be in bed at a specific time for an early morning.

So I could see it being a real pain if those things played into your routines. But for us, we can just get up with the sun and/or go to bed with the sun, regardless of what the clock says.

HA! I am starting to see why this is such a heated topic! I have honestly never given much thought to it, other than how dark fall mornings would be if we stayed in DST all year long.

Mother of Sons 03-09-2022 09:38 AM

I don’t think either preference is wrong either. For me I just can’t stand living most of my life in the dark. Almost all of my daily travel is not in the morning so I leave for activities in the dark and go home in the dark. Try as I might and as much as my mom believed it was the more moral choice I am never going to be a morning person. Year round the sun is going to be up before me so it only affects my mornings occasionally. Also kind of hate the extra electricity over the winter because it’s always dark. Especially when it’s dark at 4 pm

JoannaV 03-09-2022 11:01 AM

They should stick with one time and instead change the schedule of things as needed/wanted. It's not as if everyone works 9-5, and even schools have vastly different start/end times within the same region.

mariposa 03-09-2022 11:02 AM

:no3

Springing forward has never been something I look forward to...losing an hour is crazy when there never seems to be enough hours in a day for me. :giggle