Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Whole house filtration/softener systems (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530582)

charla 02-10-2023 08:59 PM

Whole house filtration/softener systems

We have quite hard water in our new house (white film or deposits on all water areas - faucets, dishwasher, countertops around sinks, etc.). If I can afford it, I'd like a water filtration systems that softens the water and also filters out particles, chlorine, flouride, etc. What do you recommend and approximately what price initial product and install and then also the price of upkeep (salt, filters or the like)? Perhaps we need whole house plus one under the sink for drinking water? We were quoted what I think is an incredibly high price today, but maybe that's what it costs nowadays. :shrug3

2sunshines 02-11-2023 05:53 AM

Re: Whole house filtration/softener systems

We have well water. We have a few systems in place. We have a whole house filter which essentially filters all the water as soon as it comes in to the house. It just does the first round of filtering or something. I don't think it's expensive -- it's just a basic charcoal type filter... Then we have a water softener. We actually just had to replace ours so I remember that it cost about $600 to buy from Home Depot. Dh installed it. Those two things are what makes our water usable for us. We have well water and very hard water. Without the softener the water turns everything yellow.

Salt isn't too expensive.... I think we pay $5-$6 a bag. I'm not sure how often he fills it - dh takes care of it all. I can ask him.

Now for us, none of that makes our water drinkable. We've talked many times about doing an undersink filtration system in addition for that reason, but I've found it just as easy to get a water cooler thing and fill up 5 gallon water jugs for drinking water at home.