Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Regional Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=551)
-   -   Tikka Masala (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529627)

ViolaMum 07-13-2021 08:21 PM

Re: Tikka Masala

The heat in peppers is typically concentrated in the ribs and seeds. Make sure they go in your sauce if you want more heat.

Soliloquy 07-15-2021 04:06 PM

You all are making me so hungry.

ViolaMum 07-16-2021 10:18 AM

Marbles, I looked up a bunch of recipes and I think what you want to buy is Kashmiri Chili powder for heat.

arelyn 07-17-2021 08:07 PM

I wonder what the difference is between Kashmiri and normal red chili powder? I don't recall seeing both at our store but we go through it so slowly, I don't look for it very often. One picture I found online says (milder) which would be nice for our family (the kids don't like food very spicy).

ThreeKids 07-18-2021 06:32 AM

I add cream to the canned sauce because that's the ingredient that gets removed when they want to make it cheaper.

I'm bold with the cayenne because we can always tamper down the heat by adding more cream directly to the plate and we like the effect of not having it fully mixed in. This is a modification of Indians adding yogurt to the dish at the table, but we've been told you can't get exactly the right yogurt in the U.S.

ViolaMum 07-18-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arelyn (Post 6254345)
I wonder what the difference is between Kashmiri and normal red chili powder? I don't recall seeing both at our store but we go through it so slowly, I don't look for it very often. One picture I found online says (milder) which would be nice for our family (the kids don't like food very spicy).

That's a really good question. Could it be the same thing, just labeled differently for American consumers? (To differentiate it from cayenne, or another chili powder.)

knitlove 07-18-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6254355)
That's a really good question. Could it be the same thing, just labeled differently for American consumers? (To differentiate it from cayenne, or another chili powder.)

Chili powder in the US is typically a blend of many different chilies and often cumin.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

arelyn 07-18-2021 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6254355)

I just checked amazon.in and they are two separate items. I bet the Kashmiri one is a milder variety (they are known for milder food). When I restock my spice rack I'm definitely going to try it.

ViolaMum 07-18-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arelyn (Post 6254358)
I just checked amazon.in and they are two separate items. I bet the Kashmiri one is a milder variety (they are known for milder food). When I restock my spice rack I'm definitely going to try it.

Do you think it's a single variety of pepper or a blend? I can't seem to find any good information on it.

And darn, if Kashmiri is milder chili powder, it's not going to make the dish spicier! :doh

arelyn 07-18-2021 07:25 PM

https://www.pepperscale.com/kashmiri-chili/

Looks like it will be too mild for you.

https://www.pepperscale.com/jwala-pepper/

This is our traditional chili. It is only used green in Indian food, never ripened.

According to the same website serranos are the closest whose name I recognize. They are less potent though so if an Indian recipe calls for one chili, add two.