Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Vitamin D FAQ :) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=348915)

DancingWithElves 05-02-2011 12:47 PM

Re: Vitamin D FAQ :)

fish oil has no vit D or very little. Cod Liver oil does :) Vitacost, Nsi brand is based on olive oil.

nadezhda 05-02-2011 12:53 PM

:yes2 :sigh After I got all excited, thinking I could use what I have, I checked the nutrition facts & saw my particular fish oil is really high in vit E, but virtually no D. :rolleyes That'll teach me to think I don't need to go out & buy new supplements! :giggle

PrincessAnika 06-13-2011 08:35 PM

i had my levels tested while doing other bloodwork last week....i can't remember if dr said 13 or 17 - either way, really low. she sent a script in for me i'll pick up tomorrow, my brain is too foggy to remember how much/when to take - if its not d3 i'll switch, i should be able to find it pretty inexpensively at our one store. read through this whole thread, though, and can't find the answer to my question::
dd2 is 8wks. does vitd cross the placenta? (i would think it would...) is mine that low, because she took it all? :giggle or are we both low? i don't want to have her tested if i don't have to. should i start her on something as well?

DancingWithElves 06-13-2011 09:30 PM

i'd say that this time of year you both need to be outside. i have no idea what vit D does in mother/fetus situation. But i know for sure that whatever the baby got then isn't working for her now, and your milk is deficient. if a mother i low on vit D, so is her milk. So, go outside, just until you start turning pink. Then you made all the D you will in that day. Don't bathe for at least 12 hrs, or you'll wash it off. Repeat ;) :sun

SamRose 06-14-2011 05:41 AM

Can somebody remind me how much skin needs to be exposed and for how long to get the Vit D needed?

abbiroads 06-14-2011 06:56 AM

And does it really have to be after showering? How important is consistancy?

DancingWithElves 06-14-2011 09:39 AM

i have it in the front of the thread, somewhere :shifty :poke go lookie
it does vary for people, and greatly. if you want maximum benefit, which in your part of the country that's what i'd shoot for, expose at least whole arms and face, and *just* before they turn pink. not red. not hot pink. :lol just that very pale sun-kissed, not sun-burnt sort of pink. i can't see it on dh, and ds never turn anything but golden, but dd and I do show it.

i'm told that an average biracial kid with med. brown complexion has about a 25 SPF. it seems my ds has more than that, and my dd has about that. just gauging by how my skin reacts when it has sunscreen on it.

PrincessAnika 06-14-2011 10:45 AM

does evening sun work ok, or does it have to be a particular time of day?

DancingWithElves 06-14-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbiroads (Post 3968846)
And does it really have to be after showering? How important is consistancy?

sorry, i'm confused :O

It depends on where you live, and what you mean by evening.
When I lived in AR, afternoon sun felt like a broiler :lol And you could still burn beet-red in the PM.
In IL the PM sun is soooooo mild, I cannot imagine it being awfully effective. Just like from Oct to Apr here, the sun won't make you any vit D :sigh Which is why we really should supplement, or make a big effort to get it with foods.

PrincessAnika 06-14-2011 02:14 PM

PA. my mom used to tell us something about between 10 & 4 (i think it was for sunscreen maybe?)....so evening being after that. :giggle

50,000IU once a week for 90 days, then a lower dose (don't remember what ATM) after that - unfortunately the script is the d2, so i'll start it since its better than nothing, and then go find what i can at the local discount pharmacy store....

mathematicalmessymamma 06-14-2011 07:48 PM

Did anyone see the news tonight about the new sunscreen regulations? They were emphasizing how melanoma is on the rise and we aren't wearing enough sunscreen. So now they have to make sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB. And they were going on and on about how you should reapply a shot glass full of it every 2 hours blah blah blah. And yet vit D defficiency is a huge problem in this country. I just dont know what to think. Melanoma is scary scary. But I've seen what vit D difficency can do to my body so I choose sun and take the risk. But I wonder about DD. I'm torn on whether or not to use sunscreen on her. I want her to get plenty of vit D. But I want to protect her as well ya know. :sigh

cobluegirl 06-14-2011 07:55 PM

We do both. I use sunscreen when necessary and don't when not. Moderation.....

DancingWithElves 06-14-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathematicalmessymamma (Post 3970428)
Did anyone see the news tonight about the new sunscreen regulations? They were emphasizing how melanoma is on the rise and we aren't wearing enough sunscreen. So now they have to make sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB. And they were going on and on about how you should reapply a shot glass full of it every 2 hours blah blah blah. And yet vit D defficiency is a huge problem in this country. I just dont know what to think. Melanoma is scary scary. But I've seen what vit D difficency can do to my body so I choose sun and take the risk. But I wonder about DD. I'm torn on whether or not to use sunscreen on her. I want her to get plenty of vit D. But I want to protect her as well ya know. :sigh

Keep reading :)
we are also having more cancers of any kind b/c of higher oxidative stress and lowered intake of antioxidants, people eating SAD and all
and the aforementioned sunscreens were packed with vit A, which is now known to cause cancer when reacting with sunlight.
that very vit. D deficiency predisposes people to higher risk of cancer, IMO

etc. etc. etc.

DancingWithElves 06-30-2011 11:10 AM

well ladies, all my supplementing, eating of pastured eggs, and staying in the sun sans sunscreen and I'm still at 32 as of June 1st! :( :hissyfit

SamRose 06-30-2011 11:29 AM

:hugheart At least you're in the acceptable range.