Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   September Dinners (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529735)

mummy2boys 08-31-2021 10:15 PM

September Dinners

New month...new thread :)

knitlove 08-31-2021 10:20 PM

Re: September Dinners

Tonight was just me and the girls so I made pasta because I didn't want to deal with complaints.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

twoplustwo 09-01-2021 02:51 AM

Asian salad and some froz asian things.

heartofjoy 09-01-2021 04:48 AM

Technically, these were still August ;)

Sunday - cheese enchiladas, Spanish rice, refried beans (homemade from my freezer stash!), and key lime pie for Paw Paw's birthday :heart

Monday- baked chicken thighs - these were SO GOOD - I coated bone in skin on chicken thighs with olive oil, sprinkled with garlic salt, italian seasoning, and paprika, and baked at 400-425 for almost an hour on a cookie sheet - I roasted brocoli and cauliflower to go with it. I've read recently that the secret to moist baked chicken is high heat for shorter times.

Tues- I did chicken again because I took a meal to someone. I used this recipe For Garlic Butter Baked Chicken Breasts:

https://www.primaverakitchen.com/gar...breast/#recipe

Made Veggie Rice in the IP (this is our favorite rice now and a perfect way to use up leftover veggie odds and ends)

Pro tip for bookmarking recipes: Bookmark the page it goes to when you hit print recipe. Then you don't have to wait for an ad-filled page to load next time. The print version of the one above: https://www.primaverakitchen.com/wprm_print/28120/

charla 09-01-2021 07:34 AM

Monday I made a new recipe called lemon ricotta pasta with spinach. It was really yummy! Last night I made cheese enchiladas and a new recipe for Mexican rice and it was really good, too. Tonight I'm planning Greek meatballs, baked potatoes with whipped feta, green beans, and Greek salad.

ViolaMum 09-01-2021 02:07 PM

DH is making garlic-rosemary sous vide lamb in the IP.

I've got green beans and kale chips ready to roast in the oven. I should do potatoes, too.

arelyn 09-01-2021 09:06 PM

Tonight DH made kiri bath which we ate with jaggery and a side of leftover veg chili. He uses red or brown rice instead of the white rice the recipes call for and it comes out just as well.

milkmommy 09-01-2021 11:45 PM

This is our dinner meal plan for the next two weeks. The order will differ. I just plan a two week menu then we plan for 1-2 days at a time depending on schedules a few top off ingredients we might need etc. I list in what method it will be cooked for me. It helps me plan.
Typically Mondays will always be crock pot days, Wednesday or Saturday will be our takeout/dine out days. Fridays are always meatless or fish although most of our meals are meatless.

Most meals I'll add a side dish or two but wont always list it.
I keep GF chicken nuggets, GF pasta and always have eggs I can scramble if I need a safe alternative for a meal for my gluten and dairy sensitive child. Like Mac N cheese day.
Always have a few TV type dinners in the freezer if DH schedule is too crazy or he just doesn't want what I'm planning. Like he doesn't like egg based dishes but everyone else does. :shrug3

Dinners September 2-15

Honey Dijon Chicken with brown rice (CP)

Beef Chili (cp)

baked chicken tenders and corn on cob (oven/IP)

Lentil Spaghetti with salad and bread (stove top)

Shakshuka with french rolls (stove top/Oven)

Peanut Soda noodles with roasted broccoli (stove top/oven)

Veggie Fajitas (stove top)

meatball subs (crock pot)

Mac N cheese with salad (crock pot)

Coconut shrimp with veggie spring rolls (oven)

white bean soup with bread (IP/oven)

sheet pan chicken thighs with vegetables (oven)

Pickup/dine out

Pick up /Dine out

Planning the lentil Spaghetti for Tomorrow and Coconut shrimp with spring rolls for Friday.

The Tickle Momster 09-02-2021 07:42 AM

Started a whole 30 with dh yesterday. Haven’t done the necessary planning so winged it yesterday. Did lemon-garlic chicken with roasted potatoes and Brussels sprouts.

This morning I’ll do more planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twoplustwo 09-02-2021 09:48 AM

Out of leftovers and thur are exceptional busy. . . those fresh pizzas from the grocery (had dh pick up when he went for produce and milk).

ViolaMum 09-02-2021 11:32 AM

Ugggh. Our fridge died. I had to toss most of what was in it.

The freezer is fine, so I have that. And a well-stocked pantry. And a little bit of produce coming from the garden. I'm thinking chili tonight.

Reva 09-03-2021 02:40 AM

9/1-we had grilled chicken salads
9/2 (last night) we had meatball subs (made with ground turkey) and potato salad

twoplustwo 09-03-2021 02:43 AM

either rice with orange shrimp and chicken sausage for the boy who doesn't eat shrimp OR burritos. And then whichever is the next meal - porbably Sunday. Inlaws taking us to lunch tom and then ds has 2 games and then is guest playing in a 3rd so may not have time to cook.

charla 09-03-2021 10:07 AM

Last night was sheet pan sausage and peppers over cheesy grits with roasted broccoli. Tonight I'm trying butter chicken in the crockpot over rice with zucchini on the side. I've heard you gals talk about this butter chicken so much over the years, I thought I'd better try it. Not a huge fan of curry type flavors so we shall see!

The Tickle Momster 09-03-2021 10:35 AM

Last night was beef & broccoli

Tonight I’m not sure yet. Probably something with chicken. Maybe big salads with grilled chicken breast. :think

rdsmommy 09-03-2021 01:42 PM

Today is chicken/vegetable soup. It’s super hot outside so not really soup weather but I’m trying to make something that will be easy on my stomach. I’m making a big pot so I can eat it tomorrow too.

RealLifeMama 09-03-2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6257154)
Ugggh. Our fridge died. I had to toss most of what was in it.

The freezer is fine, so I have that. And a well-stocked pantry. And a little bit of produce coming from the garden. I'm thinking chili tonight.

So sorry to hear this! It is hard to get good prices on appliances, and find them in stock.

I am just now planning my meals for September.
Tonight is just pizza and ice cream.

I am trying to plan more meat/veggie/whole food starch meals this month and less one pot meals.

2sunshines 09-03-2021 03:37 PM

Tacos tonight.

milkmommy 09-03-2021 09:17 PM

We had coconut shrimp originally we planned on having some veggie spring rolls with.them
I was going to just grab some from our grocery deli counter. However they were out. So we did some air fryer edamame instead. Served with coconut rice and fresh pineapple.

knitlove 09-03-2021 09:29 PM

We had pizza. Because I was exsausted, I hadn't had time to preap some ingredients for what I had planed and tonight I didn't care that my girls hate it.

They did both eat some of their pizza and not just pick off the topping. I have the only children in the world who dislike having there own personal pizza.

milkmommy 09-04-2021 09:37 PM

Margaret is spending the night with a school friend. So we took advantage and I made homemade Mac n cheese. (All dairy and gluten filled). Lol
Honey Dijon chicken with zucchini or broccoli tomorrow.

mummy2boys 09-05-2021 12:14 AM

Being Father's Day here in Australia, DH gets to pick dinner tonight :) He chose homemade pizzas and garlic bread

2sunshines 09-05-2021 11:40 AM

Chicken coconut curry over rice for lunch today.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 6257382)
Margaret is spending the night with a school friend. So we took advantage and I made homemade Mac n cheese. (All dairy and gluten filled). Lol
Honey Dijon chicken with zucchini or broccoli tomorrow.

I feel ya! Any time my gluten allergic kid is gone I cook all things gluten for dinner since it's such a year thing (other than having to cook two separate dishes which quite frankly I rarely do :lol ).

graciousmomma 09-05-2021 12:10 PM

For last night's dinner, I had some things I needed to use up, so I googled the ingredients, and this Irish stew recipe came up. It was different, in that you make mashed potatoes, and then top the mashed potatoes with the stew. The whole family really liked it. It was very good! :yum I made the stew in the crockpot, even though the recipe calls for stovetop. For the mashed potatoes, I just did the instant potatoes we had on hand at home. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...ish-pork-stew/

heartofjoy 09-05-2021 01:01 PM

This was really good.

https://www.saltandlavender.com/crea...te-wine-sauce/

Then I took the leftovers and added to sautéed cabbage and onions, added heavy cream, parmesan, sour cream, and creole seasoning. Even more yummy the second time.

The Tickle Momster 09-05-2021 02:42 PM

Creamy beef & mushroom soup. I altered to to be W30 compliant. Made a few tiny mistakes. Still yummy.
Tonight dh is grilling.

Tomorrow? Not sure yet.

knitlove 09-05-2021 07:13 PM

Tonight was tacos - I thought dh how to make them ( he really doesn't cook ever). Starting this week he is going to need to cover dinner on Wendsday night. So Wendsday is going to become taco night, untill he feels confident enough to want to branch out.

RealLifeMama 09-05-2021 07:22 PM

heartofjoy, that looks and sounds delicious

Last night, I got so busy it was suddenly 8pm and I had not made dinner. Thankfully, I had some fresh chicken breast, so I just diced it up and cooked it in a skillet with some homemade taco seasoning I keep around, and squeezed a lime over it. Then, I cooked up some pepper strips and and half an onion that were sitting in the fridge. Put out some tortillas and some toppings. It took like less than 20 minutes and everyone was super excited "Yay! Mom made fajitas!" Seriously, everyone loved it so much, I will never go out of my way to make an actual fajita recipe with marinated meat again.

Tonight I made this https://www.melskitchencafe.com/spin...i-vinaigrette/
I grilled some extra chicken and the kids made some garlic toast.
I love this recipe, and it is so easy to put together with grilled chicken, I don't know why I don't make it more often, especially since everyone eats it except one kid that doesn't like spinach, but there are plenty of other things in it.

heartofjoy 09-06-2021 01:19 PM

I grilled venison kabobs last night. They were so good.

ViolaMum 09-06-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6257495)
I grilled venison kabobs last night. They were so good.

How did you season them?

We had taco bowls tonight. We had our last Hurrah! at the Cape for the season this weekend and with the fridge dying right before we left, well, fresh options were limited. I need to go shopping tomorrow.

knitlove 09-06-2021 05:59 PM

Tonight is baked salmon with rice, asparagus sauteed with a bit of bacon, and roasted summer squash, cauliflower and zucchini

2sunshines 09-06-2021 06:31 PM

We were invited to a labour day bbq with my ds' girlfriends extended family. Burgers, hot dogs, lots of sides and ice cream.

milkmommy 09-06-2021 07:51 PM

Peanut soba noodles (gf pasta for dd2) and roasted bok choy.

twoplustwo 09-07-2021 02:45 AM

Tonight will be quesadillas. I just did burritos last night but now I have leftover flavored meat and bean. With roasted veggies.

heartofjoy 09-07-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6257504)
How did you season them?

We had taco bowls tonight. We had our last Hurrah! at the Cape for the season this weekend and with the fridge dying right before we left, well, fresh options were limited. I need to go shopping tomorrow.

I used this recipe. The only thing I modified was the sugar. I reduced it by about half. I used tenderloin. And I did one kabob with some hog backstrap.

https://primalpioneer.com/grilled-venison-kabobs/

I've never made them before! I need more ideas for cooking all the venison my dh brings home! I am always scrambling to use it.

milkmommy 09-07-2021 10:01 AM

Talpia with street corn and mixed fruit salad.

twoplustwo 09-08-2021 03:28 AM

Rice, roasted zucchini and squash, grilled scallops for most of us (they were on sale but Ive never made them before, I am excited about it though), chicken sausage for ds, I dont think he eats scallops, esp not a big pile like that - maybe "in" something.

I was thinking of adding seaweed and sesame seeds to the rice but I dont think ds would eat it that way. :think But I could remove some for him as soon as its done and then add for the rest of us. Ds isn't "picky", especially compared to what you would call picky, but he also isn't in an stage of life willing to try a lot of new things. He already won't eat seaweed as a snack.

2sunshines 09-08-2021 04:13 AM

I made a chili with a bunch of my homegrown tomatoes. This is the time of year I'm always looking for tomato heavy dishes. :lol The bonus is the super freshness of homegrown tomatoes really ups the flavour of the dish I find.

ViolaMum 09-08-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6257557)
I made a chili with a bunch of my homegrown tomatoes. This is the time of year I'm always looking for tomato heavy dishes. :lol The bonus is the super freshness of homegrown tomatoes really ups the flavour of the dish I find.

OOOh, I'm jealous! Our tomatoes didn't do very well this year. The crows got into one patch :hissyfit but the weather just wasn't very co-operative either.

If you have eggplant, caponata is delicious with fresh tomatoes. I like it with kalamata or oil-cured olives, too. My grandma used to make big pots of giambott with the garden bounty (it's essentially Italian ratatouille to which my cousins add Italian sausage to make it a one-pot meal).

I've got a rib-eye roast in the IP for French Dip sandwiches tonight. I talked Littlest out of Hot Mashed Potatoes (her favorite dish, after ice cream :giggle) and into oven fries because Tertia asked for roasted acorn squash and I'm too lazy to dirty that many dishes. :bag

heartofjoy 09-08-2021 05:26 PM

I made chili because it was cool in the morning for the first time since last spring. I mean, it was also 98 today. :shrug3

We ate it with fritos and cheese.