Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Help? Instant Pot: Trying to Decide keep the 6qt or go up to 8 again? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530323)

ValiantJoy07 07-25-2022 01:18 PM

Help? Instant Pot: Trying to Decide keep the 6qt or go up to 8 again?

This is silly but I'm really trying to figure out what would be best...I figure maybe writing it out will help me decide what would be better. Some feedback and suggestions would be appreciated if you feel like reading my novel. :grin

I have been struggling with cooking lately. The kids eat so much and it's just so constant I'm looking at ways I can reduce feelings of overwhelm when it comes to my instant pot. I have an 8qt instant pot. I love it. I use it daily. I use it so much that I'm planning on getting a second IP, actually I bought a 6qt yesterday but now I'm torn about it.
A little background:
So I originally had a 6qt instant pot (I got my first one back in late 2014) and but it died after a few years and I replaced it with an 8qt since our family was larger. I bought 6 qt yesterday as a second instant pot. I was almost positive I still had the old 6qt liner pot from my old IP. I was thinking I would just keep trading the two pot liners to do beans or bone broth as needed and then I'd have my 8qt free for the things I already use it for daily.

I can't find the 6qt liner and now I'm thinking I purged it with a bunch of kitchen stuff in our move last year. :doh

I was already planning on buying another 8qt liner pot because a lot of the things I make need to soak and I just always having a clean pot handy would reduce a lot of my cooking stress.

Pros of the 6qt: It has a smaller foot print on the counter and I don't need 8 qts for some of the side things I plan to do. I could buy another 6qt pot liner for $20. and then I could trade the 6qt pot as needed if I'm doing bone broth I can let that cool and put the pot in the fridge while I take the soaked beans and pop that in to cook them. :think The 6qt pots would take up less space in the fridge as well which is a definite positive.

Cons of 6qt: It's smaller, I'm a little nervous that as my boys grow I'm going to wish I had the larger size..maybe.

Pros of the 8qt: I would then have the option to rotate the 8qt pots however I want to, especially if I bought another two 8 qt pot liner. Thought that would be another $62 + an additional $10 for that IP. Not the end of the world but more of an investment. But I would have 4 whole pots rotating and always have one cooking some thing or clean and ready when I need it, which would be amazing

Cons of the 8qt: It's a bigger foot print on the counter, the pots in the fridge would be a bit much. :think Also the extra pots wouldn't nest so that's space in the cabinet...Also It would be a bit more of a financial investment.

I'm feeling like the size of the 6qt would be more palatable on the counter by the dish drain. My 8 qt I tuck into the island now and again but if I get another IP it's living on the counter. :shifty I can't decide. :sigh Also the extra 6qt pot could nest into the extra 8qt pot in the cabinet when not in use.

What would you do?

knitlove 07-25-2022 02:13 PM

Re: Help? Instant Pot: Trying to Decide keep the 6qt or go up to 8 again?

I think it you are making sides or ingredients like rice or beans and now the whole meal that a 6qt would would well.

Maybe you have a whole lot more storage space than I have but I would have to sacrifice things I already had to have extra inserts that can't nest at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ECingMama 07-25-2022 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 (Post 6273073)
This is silly but I'm really trying to figure out what would be best...I figure maybe writing it out will help me decide what would be better. Some feedback and suggestions would be appreciated if you feel like reading my novel. :grin

I have been struggling with cooking lately. The kids eat so much and it's just so constant I'm looking at ways I can reduce feelings of overwhelm when it comes to my instant pot. I have an 8qt instant pot. I love it. I use it daily. I use it so much that I'm planning on getting a second IP, actually I bought a 6qt yesterday but now I'm torn about it.
A little background:
So I originally had a 6qt instant pot (I got my first one back in late 2014) and but it died after a few years and I replaced it with an 8qt since our family was larger. I bought 6 qt yesterday as a second instant pot. I was almost positive I still had the old 6qt liner pot from my old IP. I was thinking I would just keep trading the two pot liners to do beans or bone broth as needed and then I'd have my 8qt free for the things I already use it for daily.

I can't find the 6qt liner and now I'm thinking I purged it with a bunch of kitchen stuff in our move last year. :doh

I was already planning on buying another 8qt liner pot because a lot of the things I make need to soak and I just always having a clean pot handy would reduce a lot of my cooking stress.

Pros of the 6qt: It has a smaller foot print on the counter and I don't need 8 qts for some of the side things I plan to do. I could buy another 6qt pot liner for $20. and then I could trade the 6qt pot as needed if I'm doing bone broth I can let that cool and put the pot in the fridge while I take the soaked beans and pop that in to cook them. :think The 6qt pots would take up less space in the fridge as well which is a definite positive.

Cons of 6qt: It's smaller, I'm a little nervous that as my boys grow I'm going to wish I had the larger size..maybe.

Pros of the 8qt: I would then have the option to rotate the 8qt pots however I want to, especially if I bought another two 8 qt pot liner. Thought that would be another $62 + an additional $10 for that IP. Not the end of the world but more of an investment. But I would have 4 whole pots rotating and always have one cooking some thing or clean and ready when I need it, which would be amazing

Cons of the 8qt: It's a bigger foot print on the counter, the pots in the fridge would be a bit much. :think Also the extra pots wouldn't nest so that's space in the cabinet...Also It would be a bit more of a financial investment.

I'm feeling like the size of the 6qt would be more palatable on the counter by the dish drain. My 8 qt I tuck into the island now and again but if I get another IP it's living on the counter. :shifty I can't decide. :sigh Also the extra 6qt pot could nest into the extra 8qt pot in the cabinet when not in use.

What would you do?

Llee 07-25-2022 05:29 PM

We actually have a shelf out in the garage that holds the 8-quart, the two 6 quarts, and the two 3 quarts that we have.

Yes, that's a lot of them. But we use all three sizes on a regular basis in a month. Black Friday they're usually specials are instant pot.

So if I were you, I would keep the 6th Court for now and buy another eight quart during black friday.

milkmommy 07-25-2022 08:12 PM

I'd do the 6 the ability to store easier and place in fridge when needed wins for me.

2sunshines 07-26-2022 04:47 AM

For me, the storage space issues would be the tie breaker and I'd keep the 6.

ViolaMum 07-26-2022 05:09 AM

I have a 6 and an 8 and use them both about equally, but for different things.
Often that's even for the same meal. Two different sizes is more versatile.

One advantage to the 6 is that the liner fits nicely inside the 8 qt for pot-in-pot dishes.

Lady Grey 07-27-2022 08:26 PM

I have both sizes and love them for different reasons. (I also have a 3qt but it gets less use) And I bought a second liner for my 6 qt. It's really been great having both sizes and I wouldn't want to store two 8 qts.

If you want to get a second liner for the 8qt - keep an eye out on FB marketplace etc. I have seen people let instant pots go for next to nothing if they are partly damaged, and usually the liner is fine. Buy Nothing group too if you have one.

Soliloquy 07-29-2022 02:21 PM

I have two, one 8 qt and one 6 qt. I am really glad I have both sizes.

One example:

You cannot make 4 cups of rice (4 cups rice, 4 cups water) in an 8 qt Instant Pot because you will get a "burn" error and it won't cook. You have to make a lot more. So, unless you know you will always make a huge batch of rice, it's really good to have the 6 qt. We don't really like having leftover rice even though I often make huge batches of things we eat with rice. If we have leftovers the next evening, I prefer to make a fresh batch of rice rather than trying to reheat leftover rice, since it is so easy to make rice in the IP and can be cooked on timer delay.

ValiantJoy07 08-01-2022 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6273196)
I have two, one 8 qt and one 6 qt. I am really glad I have both sizes.

One example:

You cannot make 4 cups of rice (4 cups rice, 4 cups water) in an 8 qt Instant Pot because you will get a "burn" error and it won't cook. You have to make a lot more. So, unless you know you will always make a huge batch of rice, it's really good to have the 6 qt. We don't really like having leftover rice even though I often make huge batches of things we eat with rice. If we have leftovers the next evening, I prefer to make a fresh batch of rice rather than trying to reheat leftover rice, since it is so easy to make rice in the IP and can be cooked on timer delay.

I actually do 4cups of rice in my 8qt but I add 5 cups of water. :giggle but it is definitely better in the 6qt. Also pasta and meat sauce is so much better in the 6qt. I decided to keep the 6qt and it's been amazing having 2 pots, I wish I had done this a long time ago! :doh I ordered 2nd 8qt & 6qt pot liners and the 8qt arrived already and it's amazing! I have broth going in the 8qt but a 2nd liner all ready to cook up dinner this evening...or the 6qt if I decide to do something that cooks better in that one. I seriously feel like a huge load has been lifted trying to schedule or face the fact that I have scrubbing to do immediately if I want to make something else. I made lunch and then hard boiled eggs on Friday and it just added so much food to the weekends rotation because my kids like making egg salad and just snacking on eggs in general. It is a small thing but really helping. :rockon

Lady Grey 08-01-2022 08:12 AM

Yay!!! They really are amazing tools.

Soliloquy 08-01-2022 07:43 PM

Awesome!

Yeah, I forgot it depends on the rice you are cooking. We almost exclusively cook Jasmine rice. I wash it and cook it with equal amounts of water for 8 minutes.