Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   What time of day do you load and unload dishwasher? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530341)

ECingMama 08-18-2022 03:26 PM

What time of day do you load and unload dishwasher?

And how often do your children do this chore with or without help?

How often do you run it?

Aerynne 08-18-2022 04:01 PM

Re: What time of day do you load and unload dishwasher?

My children unload it in the morning. We run it daily or sometimes twice. My 18 yo fills it and my 15 yo starts it.

JoannaV 08-18-2022 04:03 PM

No dishwasher here, just hand washing. And I'm kind of picky about how it's done so I prefer to do it myself. :shifty

ECingMama 08-18-2022 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6273769)
My children unload it in the morning. We run it daily or sometimes twice. My 18 yo fills it and my 15 yo starts it.

What does that mean? The 15 year old watches for it to be full and runs it whenever it is?

Have your other kids ever helped? Just got more annoying to have multiple helpers?

My little one likes to help, and the big ones complain. I'm adding chores until they stop complaining about being functional members of this house.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoannaV (Post 6273770)
No dishwasher here, just hand washing. And I'm kind of picky about how it's done so I prefer to do it myself. :shifty

I.would.die.

Aerynne 08-18-2022 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6273771)
What does that mean? The 15 year old watches for it to be full and runs it whenever it is?

Have your other kids ever helped? Just got more annoying to have multiple helpers?

My little one likes to help, and the big ones complain. I'm adding chores until they stop complaining about being functional members of this house.

Mostly it just has to be run every night. Running it a second time is unlikely. If it needs to be run midday we have to tell them to. The more people are responsible for something the harder it is. 12, 9, and 5 all unload the dishwasher (one does top rack, one bottom, and one silverware). They can’t eat in the morning until they do it or they get an extra chore.

knitlove 08-18-2022 04:14 PM

We run it every evening and I empty it before I got to bed.

Early bird has a visceral reaction to the smell of dishwashing detergent and will not go near a dishwasher after it has fun.

Every one loads there own plates exc in to the dishwasher.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Singingmom 08-18-2022 04:43 PM

I run it in the evening (not right after dinner since people sometimes snack), then unload it myself in the morning. I used to have my kids unload, but as they started to sleep later, I just preferred to do it myself and get on with it so no one (including me) has an excuse to put their dishes in the sink instead of straight to the dishwasher.

The Tickle Momster 08-18-2022 04:53 PM

I unload in the morning. For some reason all my kids dislike that chore. I “cheat” and put some stuff that is harder to put away into the dish rack. The kids don’t mind unloading that. :shrug

I try to run it nightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 08-18-2022 05:01 PM

I run it at minimum twice a day, but usually 3 times.

It gets unloaded first thing in the morning, loaded throughout the day and run when it's full, then unloaded late afternoon, before dinner.

I load and we rotate who unloads - along with wiping table/counters, sweeping the floor, and emptying the compost bucket. (Each kid has one of those jobs each week.) The dishwasher gets run so often that I usually help out whoever is supposed to do it. I put away the high stuff for the vertically challenged ones.

twoplustwo 08-18-2022 05:16 PM

Dc used to empty it but with even crazier schedules (sports, jobs, friends, etc) - usually dh or I empty it. Sometimes a dc will still but less often - they do other less time sensitive chores.

If it runs overnight, Ill empty it when I make lunches in the am. Dh is in charge of dishes during the week and I am in charge of dishes on the weekend.

We run it when full. No time of day.

RealLifeMama 08-18-2022 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 6273777)
I run it in the evening (not right after dinner since people sometimes snack), then unload it myself in the morning. I used to have my kids unload, but as they started to sleep later, I just preferred to do it myself and get on with it so no one (including me) has an excuse to put their dishes in the sink instead of straight to the dishwasher.

This is exactly how it is handled in my house.

heartofjoy 08-18-2022 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 6273777)

This is the pattern we've developed too. Though I'll have someone help if they happen to be available.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Pragmatist 08-18-2022 07:04 PM

I run it whenever it is full, minimum once a day, sometimes twice. Children alternate unloading it, but DH and I will do it if they're not around or sleeping. DS sometimes leaves an item or two on the counter if he's unsure where it goes or can't reach, otherwise completely independent.

knitlove 08-18-2022 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoannaV (Post 6273770)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6273771)
I.would.die.

While I do enjoy having a dishwasher I miss the rythm and fewer dishes I could have when we had washed. It was a lot easier to get little kids ( we didn't have a dishwasher from early bird being 2.5 to 6.5) to stay in the kitchen and help wash dishes while I cleaned up so we could all move on together then when they wanted to just take care of the one plate and fork they used and leave the rest to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MaybeGracie 08-18-2022 08:05 PM

12yo unloads the breakable items, 8yo unloads the non-breakables, 10yo loads/runs it, and 15yo does all of the handwashing each evening (pots, bulky items, non-dishwasher safe items, etc). Unloading is typically done after breakfast, then run when full. We run it once or twice a day.