Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   baby wearing during hot weather (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529585)

Abigail 06-18-2021 03:35 AM

baby wearing during hot weather

Hi
I'd like to know your experiences and advice concerning baby wearing during hot weather. My 6-month old sleeps all his naps in a wrap (front carry) and the weather is hot right now. What did you moms do to keep your baby cool enough?

MudPies 06-18-2021 05:25 AM

Re: baby wearing during hot weather

I got a carrier that was thinner. I was not a wrapper, but surely there are ones made with a lighter weave that is less hot. I had a MT with a mesh-like panel and it helped a lot

MegMarch 06-18-2021 06:00 AM

I've heard to use a cooling towel like a Frog Togg around your own neck. You can put a muslin cloth between you and the baby to give a smidge of breathing room and sweat absorbing.

kiloyd 06-20-2021 08:30 PM

I kept baby's feet out. But I didn't use a wrap, used a sling or Ergo. Maybe keep an arm and head out? One foot? Be sure your not out in the heat too long?

ViolaMum 06-21-2021 10:29 AM

I used carries that didn't require too many layers to wrap (usually a simple ruck on my back), kept them in onesies, and wore a cotton tank top myself. Mine all liked to have all of their limbs out after a certain age, so I was definitely restricted in what I could do when they were asleep. Three out of four absolutely refused to have anything over their heads, ever (even in Ergo-type carriers).

Gauze wraps are cooler. My Ellevil was a little lighter than the others as well. I know there are brands that are supposed to be cooler. I can't recall off the top of my head, though.

marbles 06-21-2021 12:10 PM

I did the same as others here, onesie and cotton shirts cause skin on skin gets hot. Single layer wraps, I like back carries better in the heat. I had a storchenwiege which I LOVED it's sturdy but very thin and breathable. It's also low maintenance so easy to keep cool in it.

Do you have a baby wearing group around you? Ours had a nice lending library and I borrowed a gauze wrap once that was wonderful. It was a size 3 I think so it was bare bones, no extra fabric. I liked it a lot too. You might be able to try different types and see what you like!

deena 06-21-2021 04:50 PM

Today is so hot and humid, there is just no way I could put my two month old in her carrier. I'm just holding her in my arms instead.

knitlove 06-21-2021 04:57 PM

I used my ellearoo a lot in the hot. It was a shorter wrap ( but I am short enough that it is still a wrap) and thin.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

marbles 06-21-2021 09:23 PM

Oh a Mei Tai is also really helpful in the summer because it's the breathability of a wrap but the sides are open to allow for more air flow. I had one of those I used too, I forgot cause my third didn't like it as much as my second.

ViolaMum 06-22-2021 06:23 PM

I had a linen ring sling that was good in the heat, too. (I would swing the baby out away from me to cool off occasionally.) I forgot about that one!

tempus vernum 07-01-2021 07:54 AM

I used a water sling and wet us down regularly. It’s the one I used to shower w them.

deena 07-01-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempus vernum (Post 6253581)
I used a water sling and wet us down regularly. It’s the one I used to shower w them.

Oh wow. I didn't know that was a thing. Innovative idea.

arelyn 07-01-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbles (Post 6253083)
Oh a Mei Tai is also really helpful in the summer because it's the breathability of a wrap but the sides are open to allow for more air flow. I had one of those I used too, I forgot cause my third didn't like it as much as my second.

I have a linen mei tai that I loved using during our tropical summers.

tempus vernum 07-01-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deena (Post 6253592)
Oh wow. I didn't know that was a thing. Innovative idea.

I sew so I made it myself ( 21 years ago :giggle ) but now there are premade pool/beach ones you can buy even on Amazon ;)

ViolaMum 07-01-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempus vernum (Post 6253601)
I sew so I made it myself ( 21 years ago :giggle ) but now there are premade pool/beach ones you can buy even on Amazon ;)

I had one that I bought - 13 years ago? It was a quick dry mesh fabric that had an SPF rating, too. Thanks for the reminder! It was comfy.