Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Best twin carrier? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=408488)

KSL 05-10-2011 10:44 AM

Best twin carrier?

I have a dear friend who is expecting twins (her first babies!) this summer. As the only mom in our circle of friends, I've been designate the gift chooser for what we'll collectively get her. She has tons of stuff and told me she needs no clothes for them, so I want to get her a good baby carrier.

I am trying to decide if I should get her a carrier for both babies at once or just good carrier for a single baby to introduce her and her DH to the concept. I can see her DH wearing a baby, so I want to get something both of them can use. He's a pretty hefty guy, she's tall but on the thin side.

My thoughts were:
1) ergo with infant insert- benefit is that it's so comfortable for so long; easy to use, manly looking for dad, and the although I didn't have one when DS was small enough to use it, I've seen the infant insert and think it looks awesome. Drawbacks- can only do one baby at a time, and i think in those first few weeks the soft stretchy wraps are just closer feeling, like you feel closer to baby, make sense?

2) moby type wrap-- benefits, it's cheaper so if they like it they can get another one easily (or we could maybe just get them two of them) and the above mentioned closeness you feel to baby with them. Drawbacks- harder (initially) to use, maybe not as manly looking, can't use them for much over 10 lbs.

What do you ladies think?

Barefoot Bookworm 05-10-2011 11:10 AM

Re: Best twin carrier?

I've never seen twins being worn at the same time in anything but a wrap unless they're old enough for one on the front, one on the back. I'd definitely go for a Moby. I could wear mine for the first 3 months and then I felt comfy with back wearing because they could all hold their heads up.

graceandmercy 05-10-2011 11:35 AM

I used a Didymo wrap and a Mei Tei for my twins for a long time. Then when they got bigger I used the Ergo and the Mei Tei. I have tried two ring slings, and I have seen a Moby with both in there when they were little. Mine were a little bigger before I started baby wearing though.

Kiara.I 05-10-2011 12:39 PM

The only "twin carrier" I've ever seen is a glorified, knock-off Bjorn. :yuck

A moby can be used to carry both when they're still small. You can carry one on each hip when they're a little older.

You can carry one front and one back from day 1 if you know what you're doing, but you probably shouldn't suggest that to her. ;)

Can you manage to swing *two* "single" carriers so that she can wear one at least, and the times when dad's around he can wear the other? Like, maybe an Ergo and make a ring sling?

KSL 05-10-2011 03:47 PM

Hmmmm.... I'm not crafty at all. Like, at all:) so can't make one (plus I always hated ring slings, so I'm afraid to recommend them to people). But kiara, you made me think of something- I have a Moby, which I don't use anymore, and she is the kind of person who will definitely give things back and not forget, so maybe I'll have us girls go in on an ergo, and lend her my Moby. I think that might work!

tryin-to-FROG 05-12-2011 12:12 PM

pming you mama-
but I would go with a Beco Butterfly over an ergo as you can use it sooner for back carries.:)

BabyMonsterMommy 05-15-2011 03:46 PM

Moby can twin hold till a combined weight of 20 lbs bc each baby is in only 1 layer of fabric. After we hit the limit I could only wear 1 at a time till they could hold up their heads consistently. I used my Moby for hip carry and a Hotsling/pouch on the other hip. Now that they are bigger (18 mos, 30 lbs) I wear one in my back or hip in a mei tai and carry the other. In my experience a more structured carrier is not a help bc you are already juggling a lot.