View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #25
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My dd will never take "advanced math"

FWIW I in no way want her to give up on math. However I also must face some reality. She is probably working on around a 6th 7th grade level math wise. She also gets crippling math anxiety to such a degree it can affect everything. Were working on that including with medication but its a "new" step and wont jsut be an over night fix or an easy one.
She is 15 and in 10th grade, while I know she doesn't HAVE to graduate in 2 more years I still have to be realistic on how long she can take. She is one level in all other courses though yes I do have some concern with say her Sciences as we progress..
Id like her to do a consumer math type course because I honestly believe it includes some great skills for anyone to have. "Math" wise I'm hoping to have her in Algebra 1 by next fall, then probably Geometry we may or may not get to Algebra 2..
Its not that I don't believe she could ever do Advanced algebra or above heck she might find she does quite well in those. Its that I don't think she is going to reach those levels in the the next 2-3 years.

SO my main questions was if there was some specific math requirement she HAD to meet in order for me to issue her a diploma? SO my title was maybe a bit misleading apologies for that.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
There is an app called dragon box which is basically algebra without the maths.

Also my DS loves the maths game Prodigy it's at their level and you can see all the stuff the do and set it for things they are good at to increase confidence. It's also free.
SHE actully does REALLY well with the dragon box app..

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi View Post
It should be a main goal of any kind of schooling. There's plenty of research that suggests that people are happier and less anxious when they earn a certain base level of income and are not scratching from paycheck to paycheck. An education that blocks off 75% of the possibility for her doing this isn't a successful education.

D has shared her frustration at living paycheck to paycheck. I can't imagine she wants that for her daughter.

Later, when one has to work 2-3 poorly paid jobs just to make the rent, would seem to be a much harder time to address it.

Thankfully she and her family still have time to address it now.
I have no idea what one considers a decent paycheck. We gross about $15,000-$20,000 above our states median income.. Medical cost and mandatory retirements take up a gigantic cut of this but we aren't like struggling to put food on or pay utilities of mortgage. We have had hard times and honestly are still trying to "rebuild" from those hard days. We've faced some harsh medical issues that haven't always made life easier. It is not though from a lack of education though.

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05200 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,974KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below