View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
Shining Light

Default Re: Vegetable Dishes

Here's a recipe for Ratatouille. The link at the time I found it is http://kosher4passover.com/ruthsrecipes.htm but, just in case this link should ever become unavailable, here is the recipe in my own words.

Ratatouille
Ratatouille is what I would call a hearty vegetable stew made from eggplant, zucchine, onions, garlic, green peppers, and tomatoes. According to the webpage I found the recipe on (http://kosher4passover.com/ruthsrecipes.htm ), it is traditionally a southern French dish and this is a version adapted from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Volume 1), Knopf, 1971.

1/2 pound zucchini, scrubbed, and sliced into 1/8-inch slices
1/2 pound eggplant, scrubbed, and sliced into thin (3/8-inch) slices, about 4-inches by 1-inch
3 T. olive oil
1/2 pound thinly sliced yellow onions
1 sliced green bell pepper
2 cloves mashed garlic
1 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and juiced (reserve the juice)
3 T. parsley
salt and pepper to taste

1. Lightly brush the sliced eggplant and zucchini with olive oil. Place oil-side up on baking sheets sprayed with olive oil (or another oil) in a 400°F oven. Bake until slightly brown on each side.
2. Meanwhile, saute the onions and sliced green pepper on low heat with 2 T. olive oil for about 10 minutes. (Don't forget to keep an eye on your eggplant and zucchini. When I made it, the zucchini finished faster than the eggplant.)
3. Add the pressed garlic to the skillet with the onion and peppers and saute slightly longer. Season to taste.
4. After you have seeded, juiced, and peeled the tomatoes, cut the remaining pulp into strips. (LOL, the recipe said to cut into 3/8" strips but after I was done with the seeding, juicing, and peeling, the wasn't much left to cut. Maybe there is an easier way to do this step but I just did the best I could.) over onions and peppers.
5. Place tomato slices in the skillet over the onion mixture without stirring it in. Cover the skillet and continue cooking over low heat for 5 minutes.
6. Uncover the skillet, pour the reserved tomato juice over the contents of the skillet, raise the heat, boil until most of the juice has evaporated, remove from the burner.
7. Put 1/3 of skillet mixture in the bottom of a stovetop-safe casserole dish, sprinkle with 1 T. parsley, cover with half of the eggplant and zucchini, then repeat until you have used the final 1/3 of the skillet mixture and the final 1 T. parsley. (At this point I added a little bit of water because there was so little liquid. I'm not sure if it was necessary, though.)
8. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
9. Add seasoning to taste, raise heat, and continue cooking covered for 15 minutes, adding liquid if dry.
Serve cold, warm, or hot.

[A few more personal notes-- When I make this again, I think I'll try it with the eggplant and zucchini cut into slightly larger pieces. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to peel the eggplant or not but I left the peel on and it came out fine. Lastly, this version was online as a passover kosher dish. Had it not been for passover, maybe there would have been additional ingredients that are not included in this version. I'm not really sure, though. In any case, this version came out wonderful so I don't think it really needs anything else.]

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.06482 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,935KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below