View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
~yogamom~
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Just a mom trying to figure it out like everyone one else!

~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute~yogamom~ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dh has high cholesterol

I would definitely avoid statins if at all possible. There is no study that shows they reduce MORTALITY even if they reduce cholesterol-- telling the liver to suppress its cholesterol output (by permanently damaging the liver)-- is simply not the solution to the underlying problem causing the increased inflammation (cholesterol) in the first place. That's if the cholesterol is truly a problem. It's not the total cholesterol that matters, it's the ratio. Statin producers have effectively convinced doctors that we all have high cholsterol. I believe the cut-off for high cholesterol has decreased from 300 to 240 in the past 10 years or so-- and we still have no better mortality, just more people experiencing prolems on statins. Anyway, here is a post I wrote a year or so ago on cholesterol:

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...?topic=99949.0

Here's what I've learned so far. I am still learning and open to any and all corrections!

Cholesterol is good for you. I already believed this since I am a WAPFer, per cobluegirl's links. Cholesterol is vital for children and pregnant women and is also important as an adult for the regulation of hormones in both men and women. Normal cholesterol is approximately 275-300. Note that the upper limit of "normal" has recently changed to 220-250 because pharmaceutical companies want doctors to prescribe more statin medicines. Their position is that at least 20% of the US population has "high" cholesterol, based on their definition, and that they need to be on statin medicines to reduce cholesterol. Cholesterol will clog arteries, but only in the cardiac muscles, not throughout your body. This is why people don't have clogged arteries in their arms or legs-- it's specific to the cardiac region.

As you age (especially around 55-60), it is normal for cholesterol levels to increase, as your body produces more cholesterol to heal arteries throughout your body in response to increased inflammation from aging. Inflammation is the main cause of high cholesterol. Inflammation can be from high blood sugar, smoking or other toxic chemicals, a bacteria or virus causing an infection, an allergic reaction to some food or environmental cause, or depleted nutrients.

When one has "high" cholesterol, it is important to do two things:

1) Determine why the cholesterol is high.

2) Assess your heart disease risk. Cholesterol levels are actually a bad indicator of cardiac disease. Half of all people who have heart attacks actually have low cholesterol. There are several blood tests that more accurately assess your risk of heart disease than cholesterol levels. One is a test for the C-reactive protein (CRP) levels (here are some links re the test
http://www.healthy-heart-guide.com/crp-blood-test.html
http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heart...btests/crp.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/hear...6/METHOD=print) There are two other important tests, but I can't remember their names right now-- I will find out and edit this!

Blood sugar and diabetes are a huge risk factor for heart disease. A recent article in the Well-Being Journal (The Biggest Culprit in the Heart Disease Pandemic By Shane Ellison, M.Sc.) discussed the role of inflammation (primarily caused by high blood sugar) in heart disease and did a great job of explaining the issues and offered some natural solutions. Here's the website for the journal-- http://www.wellbeingjournal.com/current.htm -- though the article is not available on-line. I got my issue at Whole Foods.

The article's primary suggestions for treating high cholesterol due to high blood sugar are:

* a low-carb, low-sugar diet and regular exercise (low-fat diets are not recommended). regular exercise dramatically improves blood sugar, which in tun reduces inflammation and cholesterol production
* supplements of natural anti-inflammatories, including cinnamon supplements (2-6 grams/day), 1 tbs. apple cider vinegar in water before meals, green tea, magnesium aspartate (400 mg/day), and tannic acid
* L-arginine and grape seed etract have also helped many patients naturally cure heart disease

There is also another protocol for treating inflammation of the arteries and corresponding high cholesterol by treating the liver. I will find out more about this and get back to you! However, it sounds like in your dh's case, controlling his blood sugar is key to managing his heart disease risk.

Bottom line: high cholesterol is something to take seriously because its cause needs to be found and evaluated. But statin drugs are not the answer, IMNSHO! Lowering cholesterol artificially does not reduce the risk of heart disease because these drugs are not addressing the underlying causes of high cholesterol and statins also cause a lot of harm by inhibiting the liver's natural processes.
~yogamom~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~yogamom~ For This Useful Post:
Earthylady (04-19-2013), Redeemed (12-12-2012)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.06183 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,986KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below