Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:57 PM   #16
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reducing Waste

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post

I haven't worn makeup for years but I'm interested in wearing mascara, concealer for my ginormous bags under my eyes, and tinted moisturizer...I bought some over the last few months then it dawned on me all the plastic I will go thru of this is a regular thing and I'm wondering if affordable refillable makeup is a thing?? So I'm looking into that. I may just go back to makeup free

I keep looking at this mascara https://besamecosmetics.com/products...utm_medium=cpc

I think I might try it if I ever run out of mine ( yes I know you are supposed to trash it after 6 months or something but that would be less than a dozen uses and I am not going to do that) and assuming we are ever at a point where I feel like I can spend money on frivolous things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (01-03-2021), tempus vernum (01-03-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 11:57 PM   #17
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

As well as Buy Nothing groups, there is an app called Olio. Focused on food but can also do non-food items. It's originally a British app but if you live in an urban area worth checking to see if there are active users around.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2021, 12:07 AM   #18
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I keep looking at this mascara https://besamecosmetics.com/products...utm_medium=cpc

I think I might try it if I ever run out of mine ( yes I know you are supposed to trash it after 6 months or something but that would be less than a dozen uses and I am not going to do that) and assuming we are ever at a point where I feel like I can spend money on frivolous things.

I don't blame you...I have the same thought. My mascara can't be *that* contaminated how infrequently it gets used. I saw those mascara cakes. I really like the idea but don't have that kind of makeup budget yet. Paying $6 a tube feels pricey to me!

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 12:14 AM   #19
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post
I don't blame you...I have the same thought. My mascara can't be *that* contaminated how infrequently it gets used. I saw those mascara cakes. I really like the idea but don't have that kind of makeup budget yet. Paying $6 a tube feels pricey to me!

Me too but being able to wash the brush makes me want to splerged on it when I buy any again.

The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #20
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to share that I and the kids use hankies instead of tissues. They are so, so much softer. I've got some random kerchiefs I've picked up over the years but my favorite is this one birdseye cotton wipe that came free with a diaper belt. https://indiecart.com/BandieBand/mt/...lats-and-Wipes You can see them here, they are a bit more light than the Green Mountain Diaper birdseye. Should be easy enough for a sewer to DIY.

I'm not ready to switch over to all air drying, but I do have a nice rack that I use through summer outside and in winter, for things like wash cloths and other things that can be crunchy with no breeze keeping them soft. It adds a little humidity to the house and saves a few loads through the dryer.

For makeup and beauty, silknaturals.com makes some really lovely stuff. It's still in plastic, but it's not bulky and stylized and doesn't have more plastic holding it onto a cardboard backer. I can really only speak to their lip and loose powders like eye shadow and blush. I have tried the Besame mascara and didn't like it. It added blackness, but it was subtle and there wasn't definition or any lengthening or plumping. It depends on what you want in a product, for sure. Some brands have bamboo tubes now I think? Kinder Box and Vegancuts Beauty Box feature brands you might like. Not saying to subscribe, but use their sites or reviews to find options.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #21
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful thread. I keep thinking of more

I’m a huge klutz so have been buying a lot more plastic than I used to. I used to use entirely mason jars and glass storage but I got a lot more cuts then. And a few mason jars exploded in my freezer

Another thing we did last year was buy stainless straws.

We buy anything we can at resale stores. My dd1 even did 1 thrifted gift per person this year for Christmas and I’m considering that for next year. She’s amazing at thrifting and gift giving so I’m not sure I can pull that off. She was raised thrifting and that definitely stuck. Some things had tags on them

Laundry balls started causing problems
For me. Any links anyone has?

Pastel, I love our bidets. I’m working on a bathroom system for our two types of cloth (family cloth and shop towels for hands) plus garbage

Knit, I was looking at the silicone bags that someone mentioned In This thread. They r so so so pricey. It makes me want to just buy more food storage containers and figure out how to manage without ziplock. A huge issue we have is that our storage co trainers break easier after the freezer so that’s the place I use ziplock the most.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 01-03-2021 at 09:32 AM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #22
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

So the Stasher bags are pricy. I only have a couple and I got them on sale. They do get marked down from time to time, and if I see any sales I'll share here.

Mightynest.com has a monthly subscription that I think is not worth it for going greener. But they have an introductory offer members can share with others which sometimes offers a choice of free Stasher bag, dryer balls or one other thing. I am not a member anymore, just did it a few times to get things I knew I wanted. But maybe you can ask on social media if any friends have offers to extend. The intro offer is free usually, sometimes $3 I think.

Costco carries the Pyrex square and round glass containers that have locking lids. They get marked down a few times a year. The squared set has a small rectangle that nicely fits a Kerrygold butter brick, btw. I was thrilled to figure that out
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (01-03-2021), tempus vernum (01-03-2021), The Tickle Momster (01-07-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #23
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Meg March, please do share sales

Also how do people organize these things? Maybe that’s a spin off?

I’m focused on that cuz in our bathroom we have 2 clean (family cloth, shop towels for hands) and 3 dirty buckets (family cloth, shop towels and garbage). I need a new system. Right now shop towels are in baskets on back of the toilet in and sink (2 diff bathrooms) . And the rest are on the floor and everyone knows which container is clean vs dirty. They don’t get mixed as they are color coded (family cloth is brown and cleaned separately from other towels). I’m looking at 3 small square garbage cans and a tiny covered hamper for clean fam cloth our 1/2 bath is tiny.

My kitchen storage containers are a train wreck . We cook everything from
Scratch and often do extra for lunches for leftovers.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
MegMarch (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #24
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

So freezing food, one idea that I have to to successfully implement, is saving jars (pickle, pasta sauce, etc) and freezing leftover food in those containers and then tossing after a couple of uses to prevent breaking. This kind of depends on how much you need regularly versus how many of those containers you go through.

Also, regarding freezing food in bags, we have a very expensive vacuum sealer and my dh processes venison every year. We do use plastic with that. But we're feeding our family very healthy meat. I don't know how I could change the plastic usage there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Organizing containers: I really should use things like sour cream containers and such, but I use rubbermaid ones and some pyrex glass ones almost exclusively so I can stack them neatly. I put lids on their sides to the left of the container stack. I have a square stack, a rectangular stack and a basket with tiny ones. And a stack of meal ones.

Also, this is not practical for everyone, but I try to cook every single day and not have leftovers. If we have leftovers, I make up complete meals in glass pyrex containers and if enough accumulate, we'll have a leftover night. This keeps the leftover container issue to a minimum.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #25
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post

Knit, I was looking at the silicone bags that someone mentioned In This thread. They r so so so pricey. It makes me want to just buy more food storage containers and figure out how to manage without ziplock. A huge issue we have is that our storage co trainers break easier after the freezer so that’s the place I use ziplock the most.
My all time favorite freezer containers are ones I inherited they are aluminum and called Speedy- Freeze. I love them so much! I use them when I can

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2021, 10:44 AM   #26
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
So freezing food, one idea that I have to to successfully implement, is saving jars (pickle, pasta sauce, etc) and freezing leftover food in those containers and then tossing after a couple of uses to prevent breaking. This kind of depends on how much you need regularly versus how many of those containers you go through.

Also, regarding freezing food in bags, we have a very expensive vacuum sealer and my dh processes venison every year. We do use plastic with that. But we're feeding our family very healthy meat. I don't know how I could change the plastic usage there.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Organizing containers: I really should use things like sour cream containers and such, but I use rubbermaid ones and some pyrex glass ones almost exclusively so I can stack them neatly. I put lids on their sides to the left of the container stack. I have a square stack, a rectangular stack and a basket with tiny ones. And a stack of meal ones.

Also, this is not practical for everyone, but I try to cook every single day and not have leftovers. If we have leftovers, I make up complete meals in glass pyrex containers and if enough accumulate, we'll have a leftover night. This keeps the leftover container issue to a minimum.

I do similar w leftovers... One of our leftover issues is we have 3 people taking leftovers to work LOL

Honestly, I’m not at all willing to go back to glass cuz of our freezer experiences and so many times now

Heartofjoy, your wrapping at home IS plastic reduction even if you are still using plastic. How you are processing food or butcher processed greatly reduces plastic commercially. We get our beef from a butcher in wax lined paper. Except ground beef is shrink wrapped.

Another waste reduction.. we save our baby tomato containers for gardening ...

Old 01-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #27
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Most glass isn't freezer safe.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-03-2021), passthemanna (01-03-2021), tempus vernum (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #28
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

I buy freezer and microwave safe glass. Eventually the lids wear out or the glass gets chipped.
I like freezer paper for when we process our goat meat but we also use large baggies.
I save strawberry and tomato containers to use for our garden produce. They are great great for giving tomatoes away.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #29
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm honestly not a huge fan of glass either. We tend to break it and it's heavy.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Honestly, I feel like I reduce a lot of waste by cooking from scratch.

Also my community recycles hard plastic but not plastic bags, so I don't feel quite as bad about using plastic containers.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #30
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

It’s been nice to move out of the city.

#1 we only get one garbage container and one recycling container. We had 2 ea and weekly pick up of both. Now we get 1/ea and every other week pick up for recyclables so while we have tons of options of what can be recycled r forced to cut down.

#2 we have significantly more space for compost and gardening. We have enough space for a slow compost pile (for yard waste and paper/compost waste) and a hot compost pile (for food waste and of course enough yellows to keep it going well) It’s wonderful.

#3 fewer laws abt how we live (see above compost piles) we can get more creative. I believe in civil disobedience for civil and personal rights. but prefer to not have to be sneaky abt compost although when it was illegal in our former city we helped get container composting and vermiculture legalized through our co-op . Although I admit I exercise my right to civil disobedience— at one point i was illegally doing safe urban composting. And at one point (when laws were strictest here) I was stealing raw milk and giving large birthday gifts to the farmer w permission from the farmer. That’s off topic (raw milk does help expedite the composting process)

Anyways I’m rambling. I love love love thinking abt these things