Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:02 AM   #16
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: what's your winter thermostat setting?

Depends if comfort or frugality is the top consideration. Because at different stages in our marriage, those factors impacting the house temperature a lot.

We live in Michigan and it can get cold. In our budget tight earlier days of family life, we'd keep it lower to save money. Low 60s.

Now that we're old and in a better place financially comfort wins out and it's usually kept around 68-71 during the day. 65 at night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
marbles (01-18-2021), MaybeGracie (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:12 AM   #17
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the thermostat is accurate in this house. We keep it at 65 -whivhnis much much warmer than I did in Vermont when I kept it set at 62. On days that it is sunny thai so great on says that it isn't then I will turn it up. But I really think the thermostat is off here and that it is cooler than that. We also have issues with moisture so the heat gets turned higher because of that.

At night the heat goes off I less the house drops below 50, which is the. Compromise with dh. I sleep much muvh better when it is cold.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
marbles (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #18
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

70 during the day.
67 at night.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
marbles (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #19
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

When we had forced air we kept it at 68 during the day and 65 at night.

Now we have wood heat. It's our 6th winter and I have finally figured out how to keep it a near constant 67-70.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (01-18-2021), FlyingBlueKiwi (01-19-2021), marbles (01-18-2021), Soliloquy (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #20
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Bliss that really made me laugh, how long did you believe it was illegal to turn the heat up?? Haha

My kids complain a lot about the house being cold, but that's also when they're wearing shorts and a tank or just boxers haha if you put actual clothes on it's not cold anymore! If it's a dreary day we do have space heaters but really once we're moving around and fully dressed we're fine.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
deena (01-18-2021), hollybells (01-18-2021), Soliloquy (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #21
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I've become really spoiled with wood heat.
Same. We lived in a wood-stove heated cabin for two years and, though it did make for a lot of cold nights, once the fire was roaring it was often 80 or 90 in the house and we were stripping down to summer clothes.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

I'm always cold so we keep it between 68 and 70 and even then you usually find me with a winter hat on in the house. I blame my thyroid/adrenal glands.
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
marbles (01-19-2021), Soliloquy (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 05:05 PM   #22
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I never knew anyone still heated their main home (vacation cabins, maybe) with only wood until I moved here. Free heat! Well, we pay in sweat.

When we get too old to cut, log, haul, and split firewood, we'll either put in a furnace or get a pellet stove. Or get wood delivered.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
Same. We lived in a wood-stove heated cabin for two years and, though it did make for a lot of cold nights, once the fire was roaring it was often 80 or 90 in the house and we were stripping down to summer clothes.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

I'm always cold so we keep it between 68 and 70 and even then you usually find me with a winter hat on in the house. I blame my thyroid/adrenal glands.
Hi Deena!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
deena (01-18-2021), ECingMama (01-18-2021), marbles (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:03 PM   #23
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

Usually 66-68. I do not like being cold. I wear thick socks, slippers and a sweatshirt.
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
deena (01-18-2021), marbles (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:14 PM   #24
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never knew anyone still heated their main home (vacation cabins, maybe) with only wood until I moved here. Free heat! Well, we pay in sweat.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Yes you do!

Quote:
Hi Deena!
Thank you!
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
marbles (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 07:05 AM   #25
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Is wood heat your only heat? We have a freestanding wood stove in the family room but we use it supplementally to our forced air furnace. It is really nice to have a "hot spot" on those cold winter days.

Plus if power ever goes out it's nice to still have heat! Which is a huge bonus in Michigan winter.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
marbles (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #26
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not adjusting to a thermostat well. I get up and turn it off every day DH and I have different ideas abt what the heat should be at so we have my setting and his

As an adult I’ve never had forced air heat controlled by one thermostat nor have o had central air.

So that’s interesting.

Our thermometer in our house says 65 -68 during the day and around 60 at night. It is what DH used recently to ask me to leave on the heat. To which I told him I will if he leaves the fan on for my allergies as I type the fans off and so is the heat

Oh we live in Wisconsin. It’s been warm so far this winter so far . Between 15-35 the past few weeks. I think that we’ve had one day below zero

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
marbles (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #27
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

I keep ours around 64F/18C all winter. It's also been much warmer than normal here.

Our house has hotter and colder rooms, though. Our living room, chilly, especially when it's colder outside. I blame the large windows, and probably not enough insulation around them. Family room is warmer. I like to keep it colder, and add layers. Right now, I'm working from home in the dining room (open space to living room), and am wearing a long sleeve tshirt, cardigan, lined leggings and thick socks. By afternoon, I may add a blanket on my lap. Meanwhile, middle kid is wearing shorts, as she has most of the winter so far.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
hollybells (01-19-2021), marbles (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #28
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Is wood heat your only heat? We have a freestanding wood stove in the family room but we use it supplementally to our forced air furnace. It is really nice to have a "hot spot" on those cold winter days.

Plus if power ever goes out it's nice to still have heat! Which is a huge bonus in Michigan winter.
Yes, only source of heat. Our house is 3,000 sq ft and it's enough. We have wall heaters in all the bathrooms. Just this year we got space heaters for the bedrooms. They're not needed but they are nice. If we shut doors, the warm air obviously can't circulate. When all the kids were younger, we just kept the doors open. Not really an option anymore.

Getting firewood to last the winter is a major family activity every fall. We pay the kids because it is a lot of work.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

I have to say that smart thermostats are amazing. Highly recommend. Dh installed one in our bathroom. It learns your schedule and warms up the bathroom. If we had a furnace, I'd get a smart thermostat for the house. They pay for themselves in reduced energy bills.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-22-2021), marbles (01-19-2021)