Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heirloom gardens - how do you harvest and save the seeds?

Right now we have spinach and lettuce ready to harvest. The spinach is getting some flowers I think, so I imagine I collect the seeds from those?? How? Does anyone have some good advice or links on the subject?
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future
Default Re: Heirloom gardens - how do you harvest and save the seeds?

I'm no expert, but except for fruits (which have the seeds in the vegetables) you wait for the seed pod to dry up, and then you gather them that way. You have to be careful, and take a bowl with you, because the seed pods will open very easily. If you get the "Future of Food" (about GMOs), they have a short video on there about how to gather heirloom seeds, it's pretty informative.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Herbwifemama For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-08-2021)
Old 05-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

I've never done seed-saving before but I plan to this year with my onions. You might do a search at www.organicgardening.com and see what turns up.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Rea T
Deactivated

Growing into something beautiful...

Rea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond repute

From my Seed Savers spinach packet:

Harvest seeds when they are completely dry on the plant.

(short and to the point, I guess!)

the lettuce packet says to allow the plants to bolt and form seed heads, and that you may need to protect them from rain and bird damage while waiting for them to dry.
Rea T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, great information!

I think we'll go ahead and eat the rest of the spinach and save two flower heads so they can dry...that should be enough for next year shouldn't it? I'll try the same with the lettuce too!

Now just a few more weeks for everything else

My Hygge Page
Old 05-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

Also, you can select for different features if you want- save the seeds from the best tasting prettiest fruit, or from the earliest, or the most bug resistant, etc. That's how different varieties are formed.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
JoyGal
Rose Garden

Good food for thought, what a great idea! Definitely going to try that when the next foods come in. Ooh, we'll have fun with that! The girls will love that!!

My Hygge Page
Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Proverbs31
Rose Garden

Proverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond repute

I read that spinach is prickly so wear gloves when harvesting seed. I'm new to seed saving too, but Johnny's recommended two books: Seed to Seed, by Suzanne Ashworth, and The New Seed Starter's Handbook, by Nancy Bubel. I liked the Ashworth one better, but found both useful. Got both from the library.
Longing to adopt #3+

Proverbs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
JoyGal
Rose Garden

Well we tried the lettuce today for dinner, it is by far the best salad I've had in years!! I'll get the names of the types (night and stormy right now.) I have been easily convinced that home grown lettuce is the best! Now, I just have to save some of it so it will go to seed

My Hygge Page
Old 05-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know how to save tomato seeds?
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:34 PM   #11
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiyank View Post
I've never done seed-saving before but I plan to this year with my onions. You might do a search at www.organicgardening.com and see what turns up.
FYI: The admins received an email regarding this link:

Quote:
Good morning,

I noticed that you have a broken link to a website called Organicgardening.com. That site was first published way back in 1998 but unfortunately, it is no longer a working website.

You link to Organicgardening on this page: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=307586

We recently published an article that explains what happened to the site. I think it's an interesting story, and it could be useful to your readers.

Here's the article if you want to take a look: https://mytrugreenlawn.com/resources...gardening-com/

Would you consider swapping out the broken link for our article?

Cheers,
-Rachel

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:58 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

If you want green to go to seed, this heat will do it! The leaves tend to get bitter after flowering.

When I'm saving seeds for the next year, I usually put them in a ziploc bag with a small piece of paper towel inside, just in case there is some moisture. Seeds that you buy are just in paper envelopes.

To save tomato seeds, you get the seeds out and get as much of the fleshy fruit off as possible, then let dry thoroughly.

I usually don't save tomato seeds, though, but I've done it a few times. Next year I am going to order blondkopfchen tomato seeds.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote