Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can't Sit Cross Legged Anymore

A few weeks ago we were hiking down a mountain when I slipped and landed kind of funny. I thought nothing of it but a couple days later I went from feeling stiff to hurting in my buttocks and down my leg (forget which leg). I took it easy for a day and felt fine except I still can't sit on the floor with my legs crossed (I think it's what yoga people call lotus position, old aunties in India calls it "the Indian style", not sure what it's called in USA anymore). Now when I try to sit like that my left leg pops up in the air and kind of hurts.

Sitting cross legged has never been the most comfortable thing for me but I could do it and it's an important skill to have living in S Asia. Otherwise the little old aunties scold me "You can't be comfortable sitting on your knees like that. You should sit in the Indian Style. It's better for your back/hips/posture/etc." So I need to figure out what I did and how to fix it. Any ideas?

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for arelyn:
Llee (06-07-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 03:58 AM   #2
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't Sit Cross Legged Anymore

Sounds like something is out of alignment.
If you have access to a chiro I would go.
If not, I would ask one of they could video call and suggest some stretches to get your body back in alignment. Are you currently in the US or India?

Eta: it used to be called "sit Indian style" but that became racist and problematic a decade or more ago. It's now called "cross legged" or "sit criss cross"

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo

Last edited by SewingGreenMama; 06-05-2021 at 04:00 AM.
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
arelyn (06-06-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 04:46 AM   #3
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

Can you see a physical therapist?
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:51 AM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

That could be piriformis syndrome or sciatica. I would look up some Bob and Brad physical therapy videos about that and see. They have tests you can do to figure it out and also exercises.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
arelyn (06-06-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you I would try to get to a hands-on physical therapist.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that a chiropractor or physical therapist or the equivalent in your country is the first choice. A good massage therapist is another option.

If those aren't options I have some things you can try gently. I have to re-align my pelvis all the time. I'm not entirely sure of the cause yet but I realign it regularly in the meantime.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #7
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Criss-cross! Thank you! That's the term I just could not remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPies View Post
Can you see a physical therapist?
We're in the USA but in a state where our insurance is not recognized. There used to be a chiro in the area that gave m discounts. I'll have to ask around. I always associate chiro with back but it is logical that they would handle pelvises too.

arelyn

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:37 AM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

A chiropractor with extra training for pregnancy care will be really good at assessing and adjusting your pelvis. But I think most chiropractors will have the basics for pelvis care.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:11 AM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

It also could be sciatica and not your pelvis which is the spine. Sciatica can cause a muscle shortening (in an attempt to protect the injured area) in the buttocks hips and thighs.

Is it painful? Or are you too tight to physically get your body to cross cross position?

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:29 PM   #10
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempus vernum View Post
It also could be sciatica and not your pelvis which is the spine. Sciatica can cause a muscle shortening (in an attempt to protect the injured area) in the buttocks hips and thighs.

Is it painful? Or are you too tight to physically get your body to cross cross position?
95% of the time it doesn't hurt. If it did I would have had DH drive me a few hours across the state line to get it looked at.

Every so often I quickly go to move in a way which I've always moved and I'll get a jolt of pain. Most of the time though it's just super tight. Like trying to reach over your shoulder to scratch the middle of your back.

My friend who had the chiro recommendation is on a different continent right now so still trying to figure out what to do.

arelyn

Old 06-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arelyn View Post
95% of the time it doesn't hurt. If it did I would have had DH drive me a few hours across the state line to get it looked at.

Every so often I quickly go to move in a way which I've always moved and I'll get a jolt of pain. Most of the time though it's just super tight. Like trying to reach over your shoulder to scratch the middle of your back.

My friend who had the chiro recommendation is on a different continent right now so still trying to figure out what to do.
A jolt of pain from where to where? LOL not sure that makes sense. I have sciatica and my pains shoot all over but almost always from higher to lower. Back to hip, hip to knee, knee to calf etc

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #12
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

I get you but I don't know the answer. It's always when i'm doing something else and quick sit or turn/bend and suddenly OUCH! I remember I can't move like that. It's always so fast I don't know.

Today we finished a big online conference so maybe now I can find that chiro.

arelyn

The Following User Says they are praying for arelyn:
tempus vernum (06-10-2021)