Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute
Default Between my low vision and the shakes I cant really thread my machine

I seriously need to join a low vision crafting community or something. I have a hard enough time threading my regular sewing machine. My serger is just, wow, I cant believe it. I tried for like an hour and I cant get it right. I just watched a video and I see some of it was cus I threaded in the wrong order, but most of it is cus I cant get my hands and eyes to work together to thread it.

My hands are really shakey. Its worse when my glucose is low, so I try to eat but they still shake so much that threading anything is hard. Now, add to that haveing to do acrobatics with my hands WHILE I try to stableize them to thread it...

Then there's my vision. I cant really see the holes in the needles or anything. I know where they are by feeling with my finger nail and then I just jab with the thread over and over and over until I hit it. And I cant really see when the thread is frayed so I just keep snipping it and hoping for the best. And my glasses are current- this is the best they can make my vision cus I have a neurological vision problem rather than a problem with the eyes elusively.

Im so sad cus I really love sewing. And Im beginning to feel well enough to sit up to my machine now. I tried working on threading it for an hour when I finally had to give up. Concentrating too hard makes me dizzy which is part of the hyperemesis.

I wish my DH was the sort of guy who would be willing to thread my machine for me. Dad Sews so hes the sort of guy who would do it...I know they exist but not my DH. LOL.

Im just really bummed right now.

Last edited by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord; 03-15-2013 at 12:27 PM.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
thomer
Rose Garden

thomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Between my low vision and the shakes I cant really thread my machine

Would one of these help?

http://www.knotfriends.com/blog/wp-c.../threader1.jpg
Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Between my low vision and the shakes I cant really thread my machine

Maybe, I was wondering about that. I dont think I have one to try today but I will pick some up. Im not sure if there is enough space to maneuver that in there. But its worth a try.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
itzj
Rose Trellis

itzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a magnifying glass?

ETA I just looked on amazon, they've got ones that attach to your machine.

and tiny turtle DS 2012

Last edited by itzj; 03-15-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added more
itzj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itzj For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (03-15-2013), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

oh, i need to look into that!
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
itzj (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
ellies mom
Rose Trellis

ellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to beholdellies mom is a splendid one to behold

You can get a serger looper threader that is pretty helpful. It is kind of a longer, skinnier version of the needle threader posted above. A long skinny pair of tweezers comes in handy as well. Other than than, good lighting is a huge help.
ellies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ellies mom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you do need to find out more about aids for shaky hands and low vision, because they're out there. Loads and loads, of various costs, and even DIY rigged versions. Rich old ladies with bright brains but frail bodies have been driving the market for decades.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

My grandmother was a seamstress and professional home knitter into her last years. Her hands were nearly seized with arthritis- and she wore coke bottle glasses- but she made due with some OT tools and one of these sheet magnifiers.

http://telesightmagnifiers.com/catalog/i785.html
Dovenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dovenoir For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I didnt realize there were so many tools available! How exciting! I will have to look into this, discover what all is out there. The magnifiers and the threader are a great place to start. Thank you ladies!!