Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 03-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #1
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New blog/podcast and parenting hack

I went to a mom's retreat yesterday and listened to a speaker from Homeschooling without Training wheels. I'm not sure how gentle she is so I am not going to link it, but she still has a lot of good ideas for sibling conflict that isn't shut it down and shame them. In fact, she's really emphatic that you do not shame at all. I have already used some of her ideas and they really do help.
One of the things I picked up from another woman who was there is to ask your child math questions when they are really emotional. It moves you from the emotional part of your brain into the logical part and helps reset. James tried it today with a very overwhelmed Jacob and it was magic. He went from the verge of a complete melt down to calm after four or five questions. If your child is too young to add, you can try asking them to count or asking them what color something is or some other fact they know to get them to their logical brain.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-07-2021), bananacake (03-08-2021), ECingMama (03-08-2021), FlyingBlueKiwi (03-08-2021), graciousmomma (03-07-2021), knitlove (03-07-2021), Lady Grey (03-16-2021), MegMarch (03-07-2021), mommychem (03-08-2021), PrincessAnika (03-14-2021), rdsmommy (03-07-2021), SewingGreenMama (03-07-2021), Soliloquy (03-08-2021), Stonebeck Farm (03-19-2021), tempus vernum (03-07-2021), The Tickle Momster (03-07-2021), twoplustwo (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New blog/podcast and parenting hack

That sounds very similar to skip COuntting and other self
Soothing methods.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-08-2021), ECingMama (03-08-2021), rjy9343 (03-07-2021), Soliloquy (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is an interesting tactic but could be done respectfully or not and we should be careful (I’m sure everyone here will be great at that but recommending it outside of gcm we might urge some caution). After some listening and comforting I would probably ask a child if that would be okay. But I think it depends on the parent and the child. Or if the child didn’t want to answer I could see myself reciting math facts out loud within their hearing to switch brain function.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-08-2021), tempus vernum (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #4
MamaRachel
Rose Bouquet

MamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to keep the math idea in mind and see if it's helpful for my kids.

married to J since 2010

E ~ 8.5 yr
A ~ 7 yr
C ~ 4 yr
B ~ 7months
MamaRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaRachel For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (03-07-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I think this is an interesting tactic but could be done respectfully or not and we should be careful (I’m sure everyone here will be great at that but recommending it outside of gcm we might urge some caution). After some listening and comforting I would probably ask a child if that would be okay. But I think it depends on the parent and the child. Or if the child didn’t want to answer I could see myself reciting math facts out loud within their hearing to switch brain function.
That’s pretty much my thought on it. Especially the bolded. I’m gonna try it for myself and suggest S put in the self soothing tool box

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #6
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Great tip for us adults too, when we get upset!
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-08-2021), rjy9343 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to try. Thanks!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 05:21 AM   #8
kimiels
Newly Planted

kimiels is on a distinguished road

Great tips. Thanks for this. I also think it's very useful for many mothers.
kimiels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kimiels For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #9
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiels View Post
Great tips. Thanks for this. I also think it's very useful for many mothers.
It is useful, especially if you ask questions you don't know off the top of your head. Fractions are tough for me, but my ten year old knows them cold.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
mommychem (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #10
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

It's worked twice for me with my 3.5 year old. Just counting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
mommychem (03-15-2021), rjy9343 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 08:12 AM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
It's worked twice for me with my 3.5 year old. Just counting.
Have you tried 5,4,3,2,1— it’s such a lovely way to ground oneself. It’s my favorite....

Name
5 things you see
4 things you touch
3 things you hear
2 things you smell
1 thing you taste

Kinda like I spy but engages all your senses and physically results in grounding... Wish I had known about it when my kids were tiny

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-16-2021), MamaRachel (03-16-2021), rjy9343 (03-16-2021), Stonebeck Farm (03-19-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #12
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
Have you tried 5,4,3,2,1— it’s such a lovely way to ground oneself. It’s my favorite....

Name
5 things you see
4 things you touch
3 things you hear
2 things you smell
1 thing you taste

Kinda like I spy but engages all your senses and physically results in grounding... Wish I had known about it when my kids were tiny
I haven't.

I used the counting at bedtime when she spent 20 minutes organizing her books and then threw a fit about not having time left to read before lights out. I was already in bed. She didn't want to join me. Time change is rough. We counted the books while snuggling in the dark. It was lovely.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #13
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I do that some times with toddlers. My current LE really likes counting down. (and probably does that better than counting up lol)

Several years ago I was at a funeral that was especially painful for me and every time I started to panic, I mentally started listing all of the hs curriculum I had just ordered. It was surprisingly calming.