Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #16
Mama Calidad

Default Re: Hand Sanitizer -- yea or nay?

I keep hand sanitizer around for two situations. One, when the water goes out and killing some germs seems a preferable alternative to keeping them all. The other is when we've got a bug going around the house. We use sanitizer and then wash with soap and water (that way the living and the dead get washed away ).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Ajani (11-06-2009), illinoismommy (11-06-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #17
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

For ME the question applies to when I have both options because he bought some hand sanitizer to use at home.

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #18
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
For ME the question applies to when I have both options because he bought some hand sanitizer to use at home.
Oh, that one is easy...hand washing is FAR, FAR superior to any form of hand sanitizer.

BUT...it is very, very important to do it properly. Soap that lathers or foams, and 15-30 seconds at least of vigorous friction.
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #19
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
DH says that he heard on the radio that they tested peoples hands after washing with soap and they had all kinds of bacteria on there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterwife View Post
Oh, that one is easy...hand washing is FAR, FAR superior to any form of hand sanitizer.

BUT...it is very, very important to do it properly. Soap that lathers or foams, and 15-30 seconds at least of vigorous friction.
So DH didn't hear it on the radio, they demonstrated at some kind of work thing....

Any information (links, and not to someone quacky or too crunchy) to refute that?

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

We use Lavender oil. A few drops on everyone's hands and rub. (That's if we can't get to a sink/soap). I do keep HS in the van for Hubby (or if I can't find my oil) because he doesn't like the smell of lavender.

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
illinoismommy (11-06-2009), MaiMama (11-10-2009), PurpleButterfly (11-06-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #21
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

If you rub soap on your hands, it won't kill anything. If you rub sanitizer on your hands, it will.

But if you wash your hands under running water, you'll rinse everything off.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #22
Mama Calidad

Quote:
So DH didn't hear it on the radio, they demonstrated at some kind of work thing....

Any information (links, and not to someone quacky or too crunchy) to refute that?
Does this help any?
http://biology.about.com/od/microbio...sanitizers.htm

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...k-a-3rd-grader

Last edited by Mama Calidad; 11-06-2009 at 02:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
illinoismommy (11-06-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
YolandaWELS
Rose Bush

YolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of lightYolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of lightYolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of lightYolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of lightYolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of lightYolandaWELS is a glorious beacon of light

Doctors / Nurses / Health professionals use it after and before each appointment - It's hanging in the rooms near the door ...
It makes me feel comfortable when they use it .... If they didn't, I would notice.
So when I know I'm in contact with alot of people, I use it.
Our Snugglebug - 5yrs old
Our Gumdrop - born October 8th, 2010
YolandaWELS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YolandaWELS For This Useful Post:
illinoismommy (11-06-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #24
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

We use hand sanitizer then follow up with a baby wipe when we are out in public without a sink.
Usually, when we have been shopping or something, I take my kids to the bathroom to wash their hands then I don't let them touch anything until we get to the van, then we use hand sanitzer and then a baby wipe.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #25
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/Hand...ashingTips.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/HandWashing/

Would straight from the mouth of the CDC help him believe!

From the 1st link:

Quote:
How to wash your hands:

1.Wet your hands with warm water.
2.Apply a generous amount of soap.
3.Rub your hands together for 20 seconds.
4.Rinse your hands.
5.Dry your hands with a paper towel.
6.Use the paper towel to turn off the faucet and open the door.

What about alcohol-based hand sanitizers?

•CDC recommends that cruise ship passengers use warm water and soap to wash their hands. Washing is always best.
•If water and soap are NOT available (perhaps on excursions), use an ethanol alcohol-based (a minimum 62%) hand sanitizer, preferably in a gel form.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Granted, it is talking about cruise ship sanitation in the 1st link...but clearly,the information is pretty basic - cruise or not.
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #26
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

What we do:

HOME: Hand washing only, with regular soap and water (no anti-bac)

OUT: Hand sanitizer galore as frequently as needed both on hands and surfaces, then we hit the bathroom before we leave, to wash in the sink with soap and water (paper towel to turn sink off/on). I am always surprised how many people don't take advantage of the store bathroom sinks for this before leaving or eating (like at the bookstore cafe, mall, etc.). I don't know a child who doesn't touch some part of their face once buckled in on the drive home.

I try to keep as many germs out of our van and home as possible, and if I can leave them behind in the store drain, all the better. Back at home, the first thing everyone does is take shoes off (I keep a red bin by the garage entrance door, shoes are MUCH easier to find this way, too) and wash hands again. If my hubby has been at a hospital (as he sometimes is for work), he knows to strip at the laundry room before entering the rest of the house.

We generally always change into "house" clothes and put whatever we were wearing out, into the laundry right away. I think of dd sitting in grocery cart seats, the kids on the floor at the library, on outdoor benches at the park (think bird poop), etc. I don't want that junk filtering off into my house/furniture/etc.

I also clean with tto (great to add a few drops to regular liquid soap for a natural disinfectant) and diffuse lavendar/peppermint and Theive's Oil in the house every day.

My family and friends think I am kooky extreme with germs, but I don't care. We are sick a WHOLE lot less than anyone else we know.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Oh yeah, we also don't touch public door handles. We use the dry-off towel or some tp to open bathroom doors if needed, mostly we use our tushies to open doors whenever possible. If not, an adult opens the door and uses hand sanitizer immediately afterward.

I am also the freaky mom who sanitizes restaurant tables and high chairs before anyone can sit down. I love the looks that gets me!

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #27
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak View Post
We use Lavender oil. A few drops on everyone's hands and rub. (That's if we can't get to a sink/soap). I do keep HS in the van for Hubby (or if I can't find my oil) because he doesn't like the smell of lavender.
We have a bottle of organic lavender alcohol spray in our diaper bag.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #28
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

Lavender oil on the go, why didn't I think of that?! What a brilliant idea! Do you use straight 100% pure EO or is it diluted? How sad it is that I'm excited about this!

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #29
Mama Calidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi View Post
We have a bottle of organic lavender alcohol spray in our diaper bag.
Did you make it or buy it? Can I get a recipe or a link?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #30
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleButterfly View Post
Lavender oil on the go, why didn't I think of that?! What a brilliant idea! Do you use straight 100% pure EO or is it diluted? How sad it is that I'm excited about this!
I actually purchased mine from my LHFS.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Mine is similar to this, but I dont think it has Echinacea in it.

http://www.eoproducts.com/Products/S...AY-prd-33.aspx

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

This looks like the one I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Products-Sanit.../dp/B001GQN9HI

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
PurpleButterfly (11-06-2009)