Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #31
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk to me about coconut oil

Ok, I went and bought the oil a couple of days ago. I love the texture of the oil and can hardly wait to try it in lieu of butter in my next banana bread. I realized that or cooking, it needs a little salt to counter the sweetness of the oil for the way that I cook.

I used it when making Annie's noodles, because the sauce always seems so thin with just the milk. It made it really really creamy with only a teaspoon of oil in addition to the normal milk. The difference was amazing.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #32
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

yummy...I love it in buttermilk biscuits....makes them so flakey.
we use it for eggs, frying foods, eye make-up remover, personal lube, eczema.....
I buy the Nutiva brand also. It is my favorite. I get it at www.vitacost.com
http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/ this is also a good place to get it I think cost wise..not sure on the brand though...there site is very informative.

LisaM do post about losing weight on it? I haven't experienced that yet...must be doing something wrong..and all my books are in storage still....

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #33
allisonintx
Rose Garden

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

wow, that's a LOT cheaper than buying it at the HFS!

Ok, I bought two different things of the oil. One is Nature's Way and it was in the supplement section and the other was Spectrum "Refined" in the cooking section. The Spectrum is less coconutty smelling, and is what I've been using in my cooking regular savory cooking.

Have any of you used these brands *and* the Nutiva? If so, how do they compare?

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #34
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have used the spectrum but prefer the coconuty flavor of the nutiva. I have used the spectrum topically....right now we have the jarrow coconut oil for topical use.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 10-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #35
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

isn't the refined stuff not so good for you?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #36
allisonintx
Rose Garden

see, I couldn't remember, and that's why I bought one of each.

I used the oil as a moisturizer after my bath today, including on my face, and I'm amazed at how well it was absorbed.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

. . . . . . .

Old 10-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #37
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Holy schmoly you guys need to be in a co-op $54 for a gallon is good I am so shocked. I pay way less than that.

Allison, I have used spectrum and nutiva (started with spectrum till I realized I needed unrefined). Nutiva is definitely way better but spectrum works fine .

I have heard that you should have ex virgin, unrefined, raw but I don't know that refined is "bad" just not as good I think

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #38
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I got a bottle of Jarrow coconut oil just for lube and moisturizer. I was afraid to cook with it.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #39
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

afraid because of the taste?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
Old 10-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #40
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum
afraid because of the taste?
Because I don't know how it will cook. So I have no idea which recipes it will go best in. All fats impact recipes differently. And I can't stand to waste food on experiments.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #41
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

oh, ok... for some reason i was thinking just using it in the pan or whatever... i do know that it has a much higher heat point than other oils, and because it's primarily saturated fat it doesn't oxidize like unsaturated fats do.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #42
Nightingale
Deactivated

Nightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't used it in much as far as baking, but it helps make wonderful biscuits and cookies.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #43
righteous mama
Rose Garden

righteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond repute

NOW was in the supplement section. It is expellor something er other. I can't remember, but it takes most of the coconutty taste out. I can't stand coconut, so it works for me.

I bought it because a little old Asian lady started a coversation with me at Whole Foods and she told me it was best. She told me it was good for weight loss and skin. I bought it on the spot.
mama to farmer girl (21) princess lionheart (16), and dandelion queen (11)

~infp~

Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
righteous mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #44
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum
oh, ok... for some reason i was thinking just using it in the pan or whatever... i do know that it has a much higher heat point than other oils, and because it's primarily saturated fat it doesn't oxidize like unsaturated fats do.
I have no clue. I know that some fats make a recipe dry and crumbly, like shortening. Some fats make a recipe creamy and rich, like butter. Some make the same recipe thin and crispy, usually the runnier fats like oils. I know that Smart Balance is a thinner, runnier fat than Earth's Best, though they're both butter substitutes.

What is coconut oil going to do? It's not an oil exactly, nor is it a spread.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #45
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

it behaves just like other oil..other than it gets solid at room temp....You can melt it first to be liquidy in recipes that call for oil....it is a total replacement..

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1