Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:15 AM   #1
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Daylight Savings Time Sunday, March 13

Are you ready?

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:26 AM   #2
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daylight Savings Time Sunday, March 13

Never!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (03-08-2022), ECingMama (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

Truly my very favorite day!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
derdsgirl (03-08-2022), twoplustwo (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Blah. I wish they'd just leave it alone!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (03-08-2022), ECingMama (03-08-2022), Peaceful Meadows (03-12-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Blah. I wish they'd just leave it alone!
Me too! Leave it on daylight time!

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
derdsgirl (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:36 AM   #6
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t wait!! It’s when I get to feel like a human again.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #7
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to syke my self up to deal with it. I hate that just when I finally have light in the morning while I am making breakfast it get stolen away from me, and it takes another whole month to get it back. And by that time the sun is already making bed time hard because sun doesn't set isn't untill 8.

I was kind of ambivalent about day lights saving time when I lived in the south but now that I am up north I vehemently hate it. And will activity try to convince dh to move if they actually pass the law to make us stay on this horrable time all year where most of the morning are dark.

I do so so much better with sunlight in the morning to help me get up and moving and dark at night - but I know that this is the wrong option so I try not to mention it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (03-08-2022), Hermana Linda (03-15-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 01:08 PM   #8
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post

I do so so much better with sunlight in the morning to help me get up and moving and dark at night - but I know that this is the wrong option so I try not to mention it.

Neither option is wrong. I'm a night owl - I LOVE the shift to having daylight later in the day, but I completely understand that other people are morning people and have trouble sleeping when it is so light outside. I don't think there is a right and wrong, we are each just wired differently.

Also, having grown up without it though, I can say, even as a night person, it was fine. The changes back and forth are what is far more jarring than what time it is actually light or dark. But I think I grew up in what is considered daylight savings? I honestly don't understand exactly how it all works. It was light to like 10 or so during the summer.
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #9
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by derdsgirl View Post
Neither option is wrong.
Oh it is definitely the wrong thing to say in my area. I have been told that it is classest and racist to not support day light savings time year round. Because 'real' people have to 'actually' work and they deserve day light and that means daylights savings time.

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:32 PM   #10
Sundance
Rose Garden

Sundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Oh it is definitely the wrong thing to say in my area. I have been told that it is classest and racist to not support day light savings time year round. Because 'real' people have to 'actually' work and they deserve day light and that means daylights savings time.

But regardless of what time the clock says, we have the same amount of light at a given time of year! That argument seems foolish to me!

I like the analogy of cutting a foot of the bottom of the blanket & sewing it to the top & being convinced you have a longer blanket!!

I am not a fan of changing time & we're farmers. But our government has brought up the idea of staying on daylight savings time all year & where we live, in the fall, that would mean that through Nov, Dec & Jan, it'd be near 9 AM before the sun rose & kids would be waiting for the bus & arriving at school in the dark!

Wife to my Lumberjack,

Mom to DD1 (May 2007), DS (April 2009) &
DD2 (July 2011), DD3 (October 2013)
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sundance For This Useful Post:
derdsgirl (03-08-2022), domesticzookeeper (03-08-2022), Peaceful Meadows (03-12-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #11
Aerynne
Rose Garden

The blanket analogy works if you consider no ability to move the blanket on your body. If the blanket isn’t long enough, some people would prefer their feet uncovered so they can cover their shoulders. Others prefer their feet covered even if it means shoulders uncovered. Unfortunately we all have to have the same thing, at least in any given geographic region. Dark evenings give me anxiety. My anxiety goes up when the sun goes down unless it is already getting close to bedtime for the children.

I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer- I just know what my preference is. Daylight affects so much of our moods and abilities to do things.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM   #12
Sundance
Rose Garden

Sundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond repute

Where we live, we have daylight from well before 5 AM till about 10 PM in the middle of summer, so that's why it's not as significant, I think (though it is in the fall).
And our schedules are pretty flexible--we don't have to get up for a bus at a specific time or be in bed at a specific time for an early morning.

So I could see it being a real pain if those things played into your routines. But for us, we can just get up with the sun and/or go to bed with the sun, regardless of what the clock says.

HA! I am starting to see why this is such a heated topic! I have honestly never given much thought to it, other than how dark fall mornings would be if we stayed in DST all year long.

Wife to my Lumberjack,

Mom to DD1 (May 2007), DS (April 2009) &
DD2 (July 2011), DD3 (October 2013)
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sundance For This Useful Post:
Peaceful Meadows (03-12-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #13
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t think either preference is wrong either. For me I just can’t stand living most of my life in the dark. Almost all of my daily travel is not in the morning so I leave for activities in the dark and go home in the dark. Try as I might and as much as my mom believed it was the more moral choice I am never going to be a morning person. Year round the sun is going to be up before me so it only affects my mornings occasionally. Also kind of hate the extra electricity over the winter because it’s always dark. Especially when it’s dark at 4 pm
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
deena (03-09-2022), Peaceful Meadows (03-12-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 11:01 AM   #14
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

They should stick with one time and instead change the schedule of things as needed/wanted. It's not as if everyone works 9-5, and even schools have vastly different start/end times within the same region.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (03-12-2022), Peaceful Meadows (03-12-2022), ViolaMum (03-10-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #15
mariposa
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

A picture of me taken by J. :)

mariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond repute

Springing forward has never been something I look forward to...losing an hour is crazy when there never seems to be enough hours in a day for me.

wife to R
mama to J (10-07)
mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mariposa For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-09-2022), Llee (03-10-2022), Peaceful Meadows (03-12-2022), Soliloquy (03-11-2022)