Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:47 AM   #1
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Allergy tests for babies

Are there currently any good ways to test a baby for food intolerances.

I have a friend who has month old baby that is screaming almost constantly and having explosive poops and is looking for advice.

I haven't looked at it sience mine were little and wondered if there was current tests

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allergy tests for babies

Breastfed or formula fed? If she's breastfeeding, it might be that mom is allergic to food she is eating and thus not digesting properly. Mom should be tested for allergies.

If formula, doesn't it go soy formula, nutramigen, neocate? That's probably old info, though...

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Breast feeding.

Thank you.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Too much foremilk can cause issues too if she has a fast letdown and big supply.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I'm aware of. If there are, I imagine it would be pretty hard to find a doctor that will do them.

Some things to try--

chiropractic adjustment

Block nursing-- mom nurses exclusively on one side for a 4 hour block, then switches sides. This is uncomfortable at first but it can correct the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance that ECingMama posted about.

Lactation consultant. Bad latch doesn't always hurt and latch could be contributing to foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

I'd also check for tongue tie.

I'd see if mom can get tested for food sensitivities.

At a minimum, I'd encourage mom to go completely dairy free for 30 days. Wheat free would be second but if she can do both, that might help.

She could try a probiotic for babies, like this one https://florastor.com/florastorbaby/...20Infant%20BMM
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 03:10 PM   #6
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter had blood tests for allergies done at about a year old
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
Too much foremilk can cause issues too if she has a fast letdown and big supply.
This was one of my first thoughts. I passed along some information about that this morning. And suggested block feeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Not that I'm aware of. If there are, I imagine it would be pretty hard to find a doctor that will do them.

Some things to try--

chiropractic adjustment

Block nursing-- mom nurses exclusively on one side for a 4 hour block, then switches sides. This is uncomfortable at first but it can correct the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance that ECingMama posted about.

Lactation consultant. Bad latch doesn't always hurt and latch could be contributing to foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

At a minimum, I'd encourage mom to go completely dairy free for 30 days. Wheat free would be second but if she can do both, that might help.

She could try a probiotic for babies, like this one https://florastor.com/florastorbaby/...20Infant%20BMM
I will pass along the checking for latch and toung tigh they are fairly close to Albany, where there is a great Dr to deal with that.

I will pass along the mom getting tested, and the baby probiotic.

This mom has 3 under 3 for another 4 or 5 months so she is fairly overwhelmed, she is also recovering from Covod that she had while delivering the baby almost a month ago, I don't know how much brain space she has to try to change her diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
My daughter had blood tests for allergies done at about a year old
That is encouraging. When early bird was little her Dr told me there wasn't any way to test at all before 6 and that they weren't really reliable untill closer to 10 or 12.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:25 PM   #8
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post

Some things to try--

chiropractic adjustment

Yes to all of this!!!

As a "food allergy mama," I can tell you that testing a 1-month old baby is going to be useless. The tests are highly inaccurate, generally speaking. But also, it is generally accepted that testing before the age of 5 is going to produce the most inaccurate tests.

Lisa has given some sound advice for things to try. Also, I would add a food journal for mama, and add in space to write how the baby is doing each day. It can help to find patterns with this, or even as mama might consider eliminating certain foods to see if it helps baby.

Definitely eliminate dairy for a month, and I would add to eliminate gluten during that same trial period. Those two go hand in hand so much, and if the dairy elimination didn't work, and she has tried the other things that Lisa has mentioned, then mama is going to have to keep eliminating until the baby settles down.

Also, I'm going to throw this out there - please do NOT vaccinate that baby until she sorts this out. If the baby does have food allergies, the vaccines will likely be contraindicated. And until she knows what's going on, she's not going to want to confuse the picture.

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (01-30-2021), knitlove (01-27-2021), Pragmatist (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I would also suggest Florastor for mom.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

One of my friends had a kids diagnosed with multiple food allergies before he was a year old. Now I want to check with her to see what they did. They may have done a scratch test.

My older kids both had blood tests for allergies by the time they were 4. Our ped was ambivalent at first, said we should just avoid what we thought they were reacting to, but that was hard to pinpoint. When we finally saw an actual allergist a few years ago, she told me that the most accurate diagnosis comes from the combination of scratch test and blood test.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

That said, as others have mentioned, there could be other things causing those symptoms. I have a couple of friends who swear that if they ate onions or spicy foods, baby had issues.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-27-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #11
Stonebeck Farm
Rose Trellis

Stonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond repute

If it is Albany NY---

She can call me for LLL help if she still needs it! Sounds like you answered her well.
DS 11/05, and DD 9/07
DNiece 8/06, DNiece 10/08, DNephew 6/11 and DNephew 8/15
and a growing farm of 2 cats, 1 Border Collie, 1 llama, 10 Icelandic sheep, 7 goats, 30 hens & roosters, 1 male turkey, 21 geese
Stonebeck Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:11 PM   #12
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonebeck Farm View Post
If it is Albany NY---

She can call me for LLL help if she still needs it! Sounds like you answered her well.
She is in Binghamton.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #13
Stonebeck Farm
Rose Trellis

Stonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond repute

I can still help...just was thinking due to my life I can't get caught up in out of state stuff!
DS 11/05, and DD 9/07
DNiece 8/06, DNiece 10/08, DNephew 6/11 and DNephew 8/15
and a growing farm of 2 cats, 1 Border Collie, 1 llama, 10 Icelandic sheep, 7 goats, 30 hens & roosters, 1 male turkey, 21 geese
Stonebeck Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonebeck Farm For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #14
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

BTDT with my last two babies. I did an elimination diet and, frankly, I would trust that a million times over any blood or prick tests. Much more reliable in my opinion. Obviously it's not easy to do though so I sympathize what she's going through. Especially when you're breastfeeding and HUNGRY. But it's SOOOOOO worth it when baby starts feeling better. Taking digestive enzymes with every meal also helped me heal but we still had to eliminate offending foods.

Edited to add: that I just read Violamom's post where she said kind of the opposite of me and just wanted to clarify to her in particular that I'm not saying you're wrong and didn't write this in response to your post. That was just, off the cuff, my experience. It's not necessarily the best option for everyone.

Last edited by deena; 01-28-2021 at 03:36 PM.
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:14 PM   #15
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I think it’s important to remember that allergies and intolerances aren’t the same. My daughter absolutely can’t tolerate dairy but she isn’t allergic. The foods she is allergic to she tolerated just fine until recently. So testing for allergies can give some information but probably not the whole picture.
Quote:

That is encouraging. When early bird was little her Dr told me there wasn't any way to test at all before 6 and that they weren't really reliable untill closer to 10 or 12.
I’m not sure if it’s something they do typically or not. I think at that point they were trying to find any reason for her problems. They did the blood tests during another procedure. Kind of a “well let’s see if this turns anything up” kind of a thing

Last edited by Mother of Sons; 01-28-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-28-2021), Soliloquy (01-28-2021)