Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #31
BamaGymnCoach

Default Re: Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart!

I always used plain old Tide on our Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heinies.. And we never had a moment's problem. Maybe we just lucked out?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #32
Praise

Default Re: Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart!

Agh! I was hoping that there'd be one or two "perfect" detergents that were good for the environment and good for CDing. (We are *very* new to CD.) That would make it so much easier on me.

And what about Bac-Out Stain & Odor Eliminator? One of my cding friends swears by it?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #33
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise
Agh! I was hoping that there'd be one or two "perfect" detergents that were good for the environment and good for CDing. (We are *very* new to CD.) That would make it so much easier on me.

And what about Bac-Out Stain & Odor Eliminator? One of my cding friends swears by it?
Is Bac-Out like an Oxy-Clean? I've heard of people using that only.

Allen's Naturally has a solid rep. Contrary to the statement on the op's link that none of the detergent has a diaper logo on it, the last time I looked at that box $20/75 loads, it did have a cloth diaper logo on it. I've used the Trader Joe's (despite the optical brighteners) diluted with huge amounts of washing soda and Borax to make it cheaper and Purex Free and Clear. They both seem fine, but, if I don't run the second rinse, I get an occasional reaction still.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #34
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Bac-Out is an enzyme cleaner. If it doesn't rinse completely out, it will eat the baby's skin.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:53 AM   #35
Praise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit
Bac-Out is an enzyme cleaner. If it doesn't rinse completely out, it will eat the baby's skin.
Good to know.

I'll have to check out Allen's Naturally. Thanks TwoKids!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #36
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rophe
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingmommy
has anyone used the natural laundry det. recipe for washing CD's?
No, I haven't. I would be interested to know if someone has though.
I was hoping I could find one here
I love Nellies soap though! Only thing I cant find it where I live now so I will have to order it. Its works great on our sensitive skin.
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #37
Littledisciples
Rose Garden

My sweet girls who have given me strength to endure

Littledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond repute

What about homemade kind. I make my own soap. Its just Washing Soda, Borax and Fels Naptha laundry soap. I only use 2 tbs to wash clothes. It cleans better then any stuff you buy at the store. It doesn't give my sensative ezcema kids a rash at all.

Mom of Kayla 2000, Katie 2001 and Kira 2004
Step Mom of B girl 1995, S girl 1998, J boy 2001, J girl 2002, M girl 2002, K girl 2003, S girl 2004

Grandma to J Dec 2014, J May 2017, G November 2018

Sometimes our life is crazy but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Resting with Jesus Seth, Mercy, Love, Serenity, Hope, Whisper and Clare bear
Littledisciples is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Littledisciples For This Useful Post:
2TMama (07-09-2013)
Old 09-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #38
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

Just to clear up some of the confusion regarding All Free and Clear - the version sold only in military commissaries is free of optical brighteners and works fine for diapers. The new military field uniforms, with fabrics computer designed to camouflage even when the enemy uses night vision equipment, lose that ability when detergents with optical brighteners are used on them. So some companies now offer a version of their detergent especially for the military.

Just in case anyone was wondering why there is more than one listing for the same thing.

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #39
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbonne
Just to clear up some of the confusion regarding All Free and Clear - the version sold only in military commissaries is free of optical brighteners and works fine for diapers. The new military field uniforms, with fabrics computer designed to camouflage even when the enemy uses night vision equipment, lose that ability when detergents with optical brighteners are used on them. So some companies now offer a version of their detergent especially for the military.

Just in case anyone was wondering why there is more than one listing for the same thing.
I was wondering why the military had special detergent. thanks.

dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #40
AppleSauceCookies
Deactivated

AppleSauceCookies will become famous soon enough

We use planet. I love that stuff!
AppleSauceCookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 AM   #41
Blue Aurora
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone use Mountain Green? http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...oducts_id=1012

True obedience is a matter of love, which makes it voluntary, not compelled by fear or force. ~Dorothy Day

Blue Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #42
natuke

I have been using ecos for both loundry and diapers. Now it looks like it's the wrong choice :/

what's wrong with it?

I mean even free and clear is marked with a red star :/
Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 PM   #43
cavalier

We've had wonderful luck with Maggie's Soap Nuts Liquid. It's the only thing that doesn't make my super sensitive DD break out in a nasty rash.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #44
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGymnCoach View Post
I always used plain old Tide on our Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heinies.. And we never had a moment's problem. Maybe we just lucked out?
possible not our rashes leaky diaper issues and stink issues STOPPED when we quit with the so called diaper safe detergents stopped with the massive rinses and micrscopic amounts of detergent and starting just using tide adding more and just washing and not over thinking things..
So far with this one I've been using a full scoop of tide washing hot heavy cycle no prerinse ect jsut the standard extra rinse the washer does automatically and machine drying so far zero rash zero build up zero stains zero stink... I also use A&D ointments with fleece lined CDs with no isses.. If I have issues I'll change thigns but so far.

Deanna
2TMama (03-03-2014)
Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #45
Julie

Thanks for this! One thing I've learned on my CD journey is to check with the manufacturer of the diaper for what they recommend. I bought two types of CD (prefolds and expensive pocket diapers). The woman who sold me the prefolds highly recommended one type of detergent, and after months of using it, I found that the pocket diaper company said not to use it on their diapers. I'm pretty sure I did some damage to those expensive pocket diapers...the liners lost their softness. I've settled on Country Save, which is ok for both types and is pretty inexpensive on Amazon-- free shipping and they send enough in one order to last our family about a year!