Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #1
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Question Tell me about your favorite shoes!

This is a two-fold inquiry:

1) Everyday shoes. I don't feel like I have a nice go-to pair of shoes for running errands or looking decent (albeit casual) in public. In the winter I pretty much exclusively wear boots, but outside of cold weather I don't really have a pair of shoes that I feel are both comfortable *and* look nice enough with a pair of jeans that I could go grab lunch or coffee with a friend. I'm open to any and all suggestions here.

2) Outdoorsy/Traveling shoes. We're going to the PNW in May and spending most of that time outdoors. Four days at my uncle and aunts farm in the Cascades, then horseback riding, then going out on a boat to spot whales. I am planning to bring my XTRATUF deck boots as my alternate option for wet days and/or kicking around the farm, but I'm not sure what to bring that would be good for walking around the airport, around town, and possibly some light hiking Reeeaaally hoping to not need more than two pairs of shoes (one to wear, one to pack) so maybe an outdoorsy option that isn't a full-on hiking boot? Any brand suggestions here would be very welcomed!
Old 02-09-2022, 02:38 PM   #2
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me about your favorite shoes!

I'm working towards barefoot and minimalist shoes, so these might not be a fit for you. But my new fave pairs for everyday are Lems Drifters https://www.lemsshoes.com/products/w...39340256493626 and Groundies Ibizas https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before this, I loved Frye Carsons in a variety of colors.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 02:43 PM   #3
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I had to think deeply on this because like you I'm in boots all winter so it's been a while since I've worn shoes!

I have some NAOT brand that I like. they're expensive. They're an Israeli shoe company, really good quality and super comfortable.

I also love my merrell shoes. I have a few different varieties. Black slip ons. Barefoot walking shoes. And I have merrell boots too.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 02:49 PM   #4
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

I wear Blundstones every day and everywhere. Best shoes I have ever worn. Super comfy once they are worn in.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:22 PM   #5
rosesnsnails
Rose Garden

rosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond reputerosesnsnails has a reputation beyond repute

Nike free and Nike flex are the only closed toed shoes I can wear for long periods without knee pain. Merrick sandals are my standard in the summer.
Mom to J since 2000
Angel Baby Joshua Aaron 2003
Momma to J since 2009 (born 11 weeks early)

Using my favorite smilely as often as I can,

Relying on God has to begin all over again every day as if nothing had yet been done-C.S. Lewis-from a letter To Mrs. L.
rosesnsnails is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rosesnsnails For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (02-10-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 06:38 PM   #6
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

My every day normal shoes that I wear even on short hikes are my dansko clogs. I am on my second pair in 11 years. I fell in love with them in Vermont because when I was completely sick of wearing snow boots but there was still and inch of sluch in the ground I could switch to my Dansko clogs and still be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (02-10-2022), The Tickle Momster (02-11-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 11:04 PM   #7
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

I’ll play, though I’m sure this won’t be helpful. It was beautiful here today with a high of 70. The kids at the park were wearing shorts and t shirts. That said, my favorite casual shoes which I wear in every season because of them mild or hot weather is a shoe from Land’s End. It’s a ballet type slip on and it curves in the front and back. The weight of my foot makes it flat when I walk. It’s green, blue, and black plaid and matches most of my wardrobe. I got them on sale for $20.

Carry on
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 12:49 AM   #8
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

I love my Birkenstocks! (Mayori is the only style that I love to wear though.) My daughters also love them, so we all live in them. They work for hikes too, and I used to hike in them in the PNW.

But if you want closed-toed shoes, I would consider buying some hiking shoes that are like tennis shoes and not boots. Those would work well for your needs that you listed. They will be waterproof.

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 01:29 PM   #9
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I wear Dansko clogs for everyday. I started off with professional clogs 16 years ago, then bought a pair of black patent Mary Janes built on the same sole (my concert stage shoes when I don't feel like wearing heels ) and recently tried the Brenna clogs which have a slightly lower heel and fit bigger around the ankle/instep. My oldest claimed my recently retired pair of Professionals for her barista job. I need to see if I can get them resoled for her. She wears Doc Martins the rest of the time.

For mucking around in the outdoors my kids wear Merrell's. They have low-cut styles that are waterproof, both jungle mocs and hiking-type. Their kids' colors are much more exciting than the adult styles, though. (It was a sad day when Secunda could no longer fit into the kids' shoes.)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (02-11-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 01:47 PM   #10
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
I wear Dansko clogs for everyday. I started off with professional clogs 16 years ago, then bought a pair of black patent Mary Janes built on the same sole (my concert stage shoes when I don't feel like wearing heels ) and recently tried the Brenna clogs which have a slightly lower heel and fit bigger around the ankle/instep. My oldest claimed my recently retired pair of Professionals for her barista job. I need to see if I can get them resoled for her.
clearly I need to look at different styles of Dansko clogs. I havn't managed to wear out the soles of mine. The first pair i had holes in the sides and the top was coming off. The only issue with my currently ones is the binding aound the opening is completly gone, I wonder if I can get them fixed.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:55 PM   #11
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

Lately, I have been wearing lots of shoes from Torrid. Usually I get them on sale or clearance. I love their flats, and they come in styles that range from plain to blingy. And they are always comfy (I did have to break in my rhinestone flats, though). I tend to have a little bit wider feet anyhow, and their shoes fit me better than other brands.

Before I wore mostly Torrid shoes, I wore Merrells and Klogs slip on style shoes - those brands both lasted me for years and years.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:19 PM   #12
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

My go-to shoes are snow boots and Teva sandals (the Original Universal). They are a lot more long-lasting than the various kids of leather sandals I used to buy - I get several years of wear, and they are my main shoe for most of the year. I walked all round Disney World with them (and they don't care about getting wet - they were fine with me wearing them into the water at a rocky beach). Even when living up north, I still wore my sandals whenever there wasn't snow on the ground (when it got cold, I would wear socks , sometimes a double layer of socks for outdoor walking - but I did draw the line at *white* socks ).

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 09:29 PM   #13
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t have a favourite shoe!!

For cute I like these - I wear them all day and I’m on my feet lots at work

https://www.amazon.ca/DREAM-PAIRS-So...%2C237&sr=8-12

I also have flats like them too. In silver!

I wear Blundstones in the winter

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 09:25 AM   #14
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

For cute and comfortable, I wear birkenstocks (I have the gizeh style, and the mayari also looks cute).

For pure comfort when I'm going to be on my feet all day, I love my Brooks Ghost 13 in a wide size.

For hiking and running, I love my Altras. I currently have the superiors, and I'm about to trade them in for some lone peaks, which have a bit more cushion.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 02:52 PM   #15
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
clearly I need to look at different styles of Dansko clogs. I havn't managed to wear out the soles of mine. The first pair i had holes in the sides and the top was coming off. The only issue with my currently ones is the binding aound the opening is completly gone, I wonder if I can get them fixed.
Yikes! A good cobbler might be able to fix them. I've never had them come apart. The leather is pretty worn, though. I tend to wear down the outside edge of the heels. They're still wearable; my oldest says they're the most comfortable thing to wear to work. I'd love to get the soles back into pristine shape and paint or cover them in sheepskin or something else unexpected. The padded collars are frayed along the edges and on the Professional clogs have been the first place to show wear.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote