Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:47 PM   #31
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meals: No Refrigeration / No Heating

Rice milk, almond milk, etc. all taste fine without being refrigerated first (the shelf stable ones). They come in pretty small containers.

There is shelf stable milk in 8 oz containers too.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

https://www.thetravel.com/what-to-eat-at-a-gas-station/

Gas stations worth stopping at for hot, fresh food.

He could always get a hot dog or nachos or other easy to grab food when you stop for gas while you all eat bars.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:08 AM   #32
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about looking for surplus MREs?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:34 AM   #33
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
How does your son talk about trips between trips? Does he randomly mentioned how much he hates the food on your trips at any point other than when you bring it up for meal planning?

I like bringing gallon zip lock baggies filled with a frozen meal that can start thawing in cooler but will reheat in the crock pot. How many days are you in the same location? Never?
HE doesn't talk about the food at all between trips.

The only time we are int he same location is 3 nights in the middle. We have breakfast for free for all the nights EXCEPT the 3 nights in the middle.

Quote:
Rice milk, almond milk, etc. all taste fine without being refrigerated first (the shelf stable ones). They come in pretty small containers.

Gas stations worth stopping at for hot, fresh food.

He could always get a hot dog or nachos or other easy to grab food when you stop for gas while you all eat bars.
He doesnt drink non-diary milk.

He will eat gas station food - like hot dogs and those long things that have meat in the middle and I think are billed as something Mexican. I want to say churros but thats a dessert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I have not nor knew I could.

I am still waiting for him to come up with that HE thinks before suggesting some of the newer suggestions here. In his defense he has been busy with 2 sports every day after school. This weekend HE has nothing so hopefully we can finalize a good plan.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:56 AM   #34
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post

I have not nor knew I could.
My FIL buys MREs as part of his hurricane preparations, he will also go though and eat them as meals if they are about to go out of date or if he is re stocking.

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (03-04-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 01:08 PM   #35
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

You could do an online grocery order for those three days in the middle. I think my local WalMart allows them up to a week in advance, so you could even place it before you leave, for whatever time seemed like enough leeway to be sure you'd arrived. You'd get some texts if there are any substitutions, but other than that, you'd just have to drive up to the pickup location and be on your way.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-06-2022), twoplustwo (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 03:24 AM   #36
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Ds says part of the problem with sandwiches are they are all the same so if he could have different deli quality bread he could do more sandwiches. The other problem is snack/hike/car food ends up looking a lot like breakfast food (it is, its the exact same pile of food) so he has to do that multiple times a day too.

So here is the plan:

We will get breakfast at no additional cost at the hotel 4 of our 7 hotel wake ups. Then I plan for junk breakfast foods for the kids 2 or 3 of the non hotel breakfast wake ups (depending how much of it they eat and what the meal budget looks like for 1 breakfast by the time we get to the final breakfast day - day 5th wake up day). I plan: 1 box of etimennen <-- ?spell? variety donuts 1 box of hostess coffee cakes 1 box of hostess lemon bundt cakes (no snooty sick little men bc I may have one of these ) - not healthy but at least its different and filling and super budget friendly.

Lunch/Dinner. I figure 3 or 4 of these out (though this 3 or 4 includes the above mentioned maybe breakfast). Anyway, we will definitely eat lunch out day 1 because its part of the itinerary and then use the rest of the meal budget on the place we are at for 3 days however many meals that comes to.

Outside of the above we will do Dominos pizza 1 meal and then stop at a grocery TWICE (ideally the same grocery for time saving know where things are). I looked at this particular grocery has a deli with rositerie chickens and fried chicken so ds can alternate if he wants.

The grocery stop days are Day 3 evening and day 6 evening (out of 8 days). This probably works well bc then I can refresh fruits and veggies and deli quality bread and maybe some individual milks. So thats 3 hot non restaurant meals for ds!

We have a plan.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16

Last edited by twoplustwo; 03-30-2022 at 04:22 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Llee (04-09-2022), Maedchen (03-30-2022), Quiteria (03-30-2022), RiverRock (04-01-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 08:53 AM   #37
twoplustwo

It worked perfectly!

We grocery shopped day 3 and 5 to refresh. We ended up NOT doing rotisserie chicken or anything like that, ds was happy with rolls and non-loaf bread.

We did Dominos night day 3; we had daily meal credits at the state park lodge so we ate there on day 4 with those; we ate out day 5 and day 7.

Those Vegan things were unpopular with both dh and dd and I only liked 1 of the 3 flavors so we won't do those again.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Llee (04-09-2022), MegMarch (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 09:42 AM   #38
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

What. Vegan's things?
Glad you had fun.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:02 AM   #39
twoplustwo

Quote:
What. Vegan's things?
Glad you had fun.
IDK. These expensive no heat no refrigeration Vegan bowls. Maybe they are better warm but were not a big hit. I think I linked to them somewhere in this thread. . .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought the Farro ones were very good. I would consider doing those again at least for me.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)