Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prep Ahead /Weekly Meal Prep thread

DS and I were wanting to start to be more diligent about meal prep on the weekend. He eats on the go a lot, and I just want to make sure I eat more balanced meals.

My goal the last couple of weeks was just to make sure that on Sunday, I made one thing that would be eaten later in the week.
Last week, I made some banana bread. The week prior, I made boiled eggs.

Each week, I would like make:
Some smoothie packs
Boil eggs (they are really steamed in the IP)
Cook chicken in my IP to use in lunches
Prepare some salad items
Celery/Carrot sticks
A baked good or snack item- can be frozen

How long do you think items will be good for?
I do plan dinner ahead, and I could probably do some pre-chopping/etc, but I don't really need to.
Do any of you meal prep ahead? What do you do?
I'd like to have a thread to discuss it and share what we are doing, for ideas and accountability.

My biggest fear is that I will make things and then we just won't eat them.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:06 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prep Ahead /Weekly Meal Prep thread

I make lunch salads for myself every week. They stay good all week (if you use lettuce, put it on top and do not put dressing on it. I keep my dressing separate. But you can mix it with sturdier things like carrots and beans on the bottom.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:09 PM   #3
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I make lunch salads for myself every week. They stay good all week (if you use lettuce, put it on top and do not put dressing on it. I keep my dressing separate. But you can mix it with sturdier things like carrots and beans on the bottom.
Is "all week" like if you make it on Saturday or Sunday, it can be eaten Friday?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 03-31-2022, 04:19 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Is "all week" like if you make it on Saturday or Sunday, it can be eaten Friday?
I make them Sunday and they are even fine the next Sunday.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-31-2022), RealLifeMama (03-31-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #5
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you ladies, I'm reading through and considering how this will look for me, am I going to use paper, or am I going to use something like click up.
Just thinking things through. Thank you so much for giving me ideas and tips that are working for you.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 07:56 AM   #6
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingGreenMama View Post
Thank you ladies, I'm reading through and considering how this will look for me, am I going to use paper, or am I going to use something like click up.
Just thinking things through. Thank you so much for giving me ideas and tips that are working for you.

Did you mean for this to go on your thread about timing? It fits here, but I don't want your reply to go missed where you intended it.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (04-01-2022), SewingGreenMama (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 08:14 AM   #7
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I regularly do batch cooking and what I make is often decided by what food I need to use from my pantry or what needs to be used before it spoils. Last week it was a big pot of chilli--enough for dinner and two frozen meals.

Today or tomorrow I will make crustless quiche because I have sliced ham to use up and plenty of eggs in the fridge. I also have overripe bananas on the counter so I plan to pull all the frozen overripe bananas out of the freezer and make as much banana bread as I can at once: We eat loaves fresh but I will also make muffins because they freeze well.

Batch cooking works best for me so I can constantly be adding meals to the freezer and then I always seem to have something I can pull out for days when I want or need a quick and easy meal.

Another thing I do is make a meal that can turn into another meal. An example is sheet pan fajitas where the left over chicken/pepper/onion mix gets chopped and added to a few other ingredients to become soup a couple of days later. One day I will serve the soup with cheese buns, then mix it up a bit if there are still leftovers and serve the soup on another day with nachos or a layered bean dip. We eat healthy meals this way while also not wasting much food.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:42 AM   #8
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Did you mean for this to go on your thread about timing? It fits here, but I don't want your reply to go missed where you intended it.
Yes :roflol

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 12:11 AM   #9
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned in the March dinner thread that I like to "prep" lunch and snack type foods (or set up to easily access) but I meal plan for dinners.

My go to preps are
1) yogurt (strained plain this week)
2) hummus ( Roasted Sweet Potato Hummus this week)
3) hard boiled eggs
4) a baked something some muffins or cookies or a bread etc (banana bread and peanutbutter cookies this week)
5) prep cut veggies we always have carrots and celery sticks
6) cut and easy to access deli meat and cheeses
7) a fruit jam/compote
8) cut berries and or melons

I usually also have apples and oranges on hand for quick snacking Frozen bananas in the freezer for quick smoothies.

meals this week
corn and red pepper arepas
spaghetti squash with ground turkey meat sauce
stuffed baked potatoes
carrot and dill soup with tuna sandwiches or grilled cheese
Chana Saag with rice
pork roast with mashed potatoes and corn on cob