Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Salads & Vegetable Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Mothering by Heart
Deactivated

Mothering by Heart is on a distinguished road
Default Vegetable Dishes

Eat your veggies, then share your recipes here

Please note our copyright guidelines for recipes:

Since a list of ingredients is not copyrighted, but the directions may be (depending on if they are creative or not), when you post recipes that you got from a book or elsewhere, please write the directions in your own words, adding your own special recipe tips and colorful descriptions, etc. Thank you!

Old 03-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
Abinsmom
Climbing Rose

Abinsmom has a spectacular aura aboutAbinsmom has a spectacular aura aboutAbinsmom has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Vegetable Dishes

We love eggplant! It's the meat that's not a meat (so you can actually fool your carnivorous husband into thinking he's eating something 'meatly'!).

This dish is lovely, and my husband doesn't miss the meat. And it feeds my need for eggplant!
-----------------------------------------------

Eggplant Parmesan

1 eggplant (about 1.5 lbs), sliced ½” thick
1 egg white, lightly beaten with 2 Tbs water
½ cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
1 cup reduced-fat spaghetti sauce (I use Pomi in the box, but any spaghetti sauce will do!)
¾ cup shredded fat-free Mozzarella
3 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese

1) Preheat oven to 375. Spray 2 baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
2) Coat eggplant slices with egg white, then bread crumbs. Arrange on prepared baking sheets; bake 30 minutes. Turn slices over, and bake until browned on both sides, 10 minutes longer. Remove from oven, but leave oven on.
3) Spread ¼ cup sauce over bottom of 8”x8” baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant in a single layer over sauce; top with half of the remaining sauce, then half of the cheeses. Repeat layers. Bake, covered, until heated through and cheese is melted, 30-40 minutes.
DC (um, that's dear canine) born 5/3/98
DRC (dear rescued canine) born 6/10/99
Old 03-21-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
bunbunmama

Default spaghetti squash fritters

This recipe is a blend of ideas from several different recipes...it's a great way to use up that spaghetti squash that you just don't know how else to use!

1 half spaghetti squash, cooked and separated into strands (or 1/4 of a very large one)
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 grated carrot (optional)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg
salt, pepper, garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic), parsley
flour to thicken

Combine squash, onion, carrot, cheese, egg, salt and other spices as desired in mixing bowl. Slowly add in flour by spoonfuls and mix until you have a fairly thick batter (think pancakes with stringy stuff). In a large skillet preheated with some olive oil (or other cooking oil), drop the squash mixture by large spoonfuls to make fritters 2-3 inches in diameter. Cook until golden brown on both sides, then serve piping hot.

*Note: Try not to flip them until they are good and browned on the first side...otherwise they tend to fall apart. I ate mine with ketchup....but I love ketchup. DH ate them plain and said they were still really good. You can also substitute grated zucchini for the spaghetti squash, or deep fry them rather than just pan frying.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this recipe belongs under this title for sure, but it's a vegetarian chili that's packed with veggies & super good! I got the basic recipe from a cookbook, but I've added to it considerably:

Kasha Chili
• 1 good-sized onion
• 1 large green pepper
• 28oz. chunky tomato sauce
• 3 cups of water
• 2 cans of beans (whatever you like)
• about 1 cup of chopped celery
• a few handfuls of chopped kale (I had this frozen after reading a tip from Mothering magazine that kale gets more bitter as it ages. So, you should grate, shred or chop it & freeze it in freezer bags...taking it out in chunks or handfuls as you need it.)
•1 T chili powder
• 4 cloves of garlic
• 1/2 t. cumin
• 1 t. paprika
• 1/4 t. pepper
• salt to taste
• 3/4 cup of kasha/buckwheat groats

Saute onion & pepper & then add to the pot with everything except the kasha. Bring to a boil. Add kasha. Simmer 15 minutes. YUM!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute

Zucchini Cakes - I may have gotten the idea from somebody here. Ee make it all the time & here's what we do:

2 zucchinis grated
3 eggs
1/2 cup of flour (works fine if you substitute with gluten-free flour)
1/2 cup of bread crumbs or wheat germ (also works fine with gf substitute)
1/4 cup grated parmesan (not necessary for them to be tastey - so leave it out if you're dairy-free or you just don't have any in the house)
1 t salt

Mix 'em up & cook like pancakes.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
Shining Light

Here's a recipe for Ratatouille. The link at the time I found it is http://kosher4passover.com/ruthsrecipes.htm but, just in case this link should ever become unavailable, here is the recipe in my own words.

Ratatouille
Ratatouille is what I would call a hearty vegetable stew made from eggplant, zucchine, onions, garlic, green peppers, and tomatoes. According to the webpage I found the recipe on (http://kosher4passover.com/ruthsrecipes.htm ), it is traditionally a southern French dish and this is a version adapted from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Volume 1), Knopf, 1971.

1/2 pound zucchini, scrubbed, and sliced into 1/8-inch slices
1/2 pound eggplant, scrubbed, and sliced into thin (3/8-inch) slices, about 4-inches by 1-inch
3 T. olive oil
1/2 pound thinly sliced yellow onions
1 sliced green bell pepper
2 cloves mashed garlic
1 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and juiced (reserve the juice)
3 T. parsley
salt and pepper to taste

1. Lightly brush the sliced eggplant and zucchini with olive oil. Place oil-side up on baking sheets sprayed with olive oil (or another oil) in a 400°F oven. Bake until slightly brown on each side.
2. Meanwhile, saute the onions and sliced green pepper on low heat with 2 T. olive oil for about 10 minutes. (Don't forget to keep an eye on your eggplant and zucchini. When I made it, the zucchini finished faster than the eggplant.)
3. Add the pressed garlic to the skillet with the onion and peppers and saute slightly longer. Season to taste.
4. After you have seeded, juiced, and peeled the tomatoes, cut the remaining pulp into strips. (LOL, the recipe said to cut into 3/8" strips but after I was done with the seeding, juicing, and peeling, the wasn't much left to cut. Maybe there is an easier way to do this step but I just did the best I could.) over onions and peppers.
5. Place tomato slices in the skillet over the onion mixture without stirring it in. Cover the skillet and continue cooking over low heat for 5 minutes.
6. Uncover the skillet, pour the reserved tomato juice over the contents of the skillet, raise the heat, boil until most of the juice has evaporated, remove from the burner.
7. Put 1/3 of skillet mixture in the bottom of a stovetop-safe casserole dish, sprinkle with 1 T. parsley, cover with half of the eggplant and zucchini, then repeat until you have used the final 1/3 of the skillet mixture and the final 1 T. parsley. (At this point I added a little bit of water because there was so little liquid. I'm not sure if it was necessary, though.)
8. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
9. Add seasoning to taste, raise heat, and continue cooking covered for 15 minutes, adding liquid if dry.
Serve cold, warm, or hot.

[A few more personal notes-- When I make this again, I think I'll try it with the eggplant and zucchini cut into slightly larger pieces. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to peel the eggplant or not but I left the peel on and it came out fine. Lastly, this version was online as a passover kosher dish. Had it not been for passover, maybe there would have been additional ingredients that are not included in this version. I'm not really sure, though. In any case, this version came out wonderful so I don't think it really needs anything else.]

Old 01-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
herbalwriter

We don't have a "Grains" thread that I noticed (hey, it could be there and I just totally overlooked it), so I thought I'd post this here - made it up tonight. It was good so I thought I'd post it.

Green Rice with Feta and Parmesan

Put out a block of Cascadian Farms frozen spinach. When it sits for a bit, cut it in half.

Saute 3 cloves minced garlic and 1/4 finely chopped onion in olive oil for a few minutes. Add 1 c. of rinsed brown rice. Stir for a few minutes then add 1 3/4 c. homemade chicken stock. Cover and cook 40 min.

Add still-mostly-frozen spinach to rice. Cover and steam for 10 min. Fluff with fork.

Add feta and parmesan cheeses - maybe 1/4 c. of each? and stir until incorporated. Add the juice of half a lemon.

This makes about 1 1/2 c.

It's really very easy!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Creamy Kale Pasta

Your family will love kale in this recipe!! It is delicious, nutritious, and colorful.

Kale & Creamy Pasta

Prepare one 16 oz. package of your favorite pasta. Meanwhile . . .

1 T. olive oil
1 lb. kale, chopped (you could substitue swiss chard or spinach, but kale is more nutritious)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped

Saute these 4 things for 2-5 minutes over medium heat, until the onions are soft.

Stir in:

4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk or cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. salt

Stir until hot, then pour over hot pasta and stir to combine.

Special additions:

for a French twist, add 1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg.
To make it more Italian, add fresh or dried basil and/or red pepper flakes.
You could add curry powder with the olive oil and onions, too
Old 03-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
herbalwriter

That sounds good! I love kale.

You know what's funny? when I read over these recipes and find ones I've posted and forgotten about, and I think, oh, that sounds good, I'll have to try that...wait a minute, that's my post!

Closed Thread