Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #1
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air Fryer - what to get?

My mom is buying us an Air Fryer for Christmas. Any suggestions on what to get.

I have some counter space but really dont want to add to it.

I can probably find cabinet room. I have one that has the pressure cooker, rice cooker and a few other items. It goes very deep so I tend to not use the back half.
I also have a htuch that is full, but likley I have move some things around or purge to make room there.

My sister has a ninja. Hers sits out because of its size and weight. She had a smaller one that was more portable before this one. Any one else want to chime in on type or size?

TIA!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:22 AM   #2
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Fryer - what to get?

I don't have one, but my sister does. When I asked her about it a couple of months ago, she said to get the style that has a basket that pulls out, rather than the top that lifts off if you have space constraints. The lift-up type often doesn't fit under cabinets. She has one of the Instant Pot air fryers and really likes it.

The top three at Cook's Illustrated:

1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHFMZHJ...pchart-20&th=1

2.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VH2CXPJ...oequipchart-20

3. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0106RV5JG...oequipchart-20
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Ninja double basket and am returning it. For a family of 7 we need a much bigger one. I can't do things in two 35 minutes batches. I am looking for one one with several racks and a door in front, not baskets. I'll keep it in my back closet when not in use.

I was looking at ranges last weekend and when I get a new one, I'm hoping to get one with a convection option. That's what an air fryer is, a counter top convection oven.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

We technically have a convection oven. It doesn't work very well, though. (It's a Whirlpool.) If I ever have it to do over again, I think it's a feature worth spending more money on. I've used commercial convection ovens and a couple of top of the line home convection ovens and they are absolutely fantastic! My friends with average consumer-grade convection ovens, though don't notice much of a difference. Just my
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (11-18-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #5
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

we have a ninja foodi air fryer/oven, the one that flips up. We really love it. We can fry, bake, roast, toast, dehydrate in it. We had it with us in the camper because it could flip up and you can use counter space under it. I barely even used the oven then.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (11-17-2021), twoplustwo (11-18-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #6
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
we have a ninja foodi air fryer/oven, the one that flips up. We really love it. We can fry, bake, roast, toast, dehydrate in it. We had it with us in the camper because it could flip up and you can use counter space under it. I barely even used the oven then.
That is the one my son's barber has too!

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
we have a ninja foodi air fryer/oven,
Ahhhhh . . . so many choices.

The first one on the Cooks Illustrated is the one my sister has.

Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
Old 11-17-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I would get a big one that is like a toaster oven.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

We have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Power-Feature...464573104&th=1

Not because i wanted an air fryer or asked for an air fryer but because my mother in law loves all kitchen gadgets and bought it for us (I'm confident ours was purchased on QVC).

I actually love it and use it. BUT we don't have a microwave (by choice) so this helps us in that regard.

The main thing I use it for is making french fries from diced potatoes. The kids use it to cook things like frozen chicken nuggets....

So I like it and keep it BUT it does require counter space for me.... But since it replaces the microwave it's ok.

Did you ask for an air fryer? What are you thinking your main uses would be?

If you have an instant pot I *think* there is an air fryer attachment??? Maybe? I thought i saw it somewhere but have no idea how good it is....
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
If you have an instant pot I *think* there is an air fryer attachment??? Maybe? I thought i saw it somewhere but have no idea how good it is....

The reviews are horrendous. I think Instant Pot makes an air fryer but the combo appears to be a flop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-18-2021), twoplustwo (11-18-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 10:29 PM   #10
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

One of my IP's is the combo version and it's nice for crisping/browning pressure cooked dishes but I wouldn't want to use for air frying all the time.

I have a Cosori basket air fryer and I like it. I would love an oven style version but we don't have space for it.
twoplustwo (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 06:05 AM   #11
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

The Instant Pot Vortex or the Instant Pot Omni Max. You can rotisserie things, air fry, bake, broil. We use ours several times a week.

The company has a pretty good track record for customer service too. And the Facebook group is extremely active and helpful.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 07:05 AM   #12
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Did you ask for an air fryer? What are you thinking your main uses would be?
I missed this the first time. Likely was feeling overwhelmed by the decision.

But re-reading again because I don't think I am any closer to picking one out so trying to narrow it down a bit and go from there.

Anyway, I did NOT ask for an air fryer.
Mom: I am getting everyone a Keurig for xmas.
Me: I dont want a Keurig, I got dads when he died and I didnt like it. I like fresh coffee not the pods. We have a very nice coffee machine now that does everything we want including making a single cup.
Mom: What about an air fryer?
Me: Yes! I would love an air fryer (the truth is I have been considering one, my sister raves about it, but had been hesitate from a space and minimalist perspective; so love may be a little strong but I already shot down her Keurig idea)
Mom: Great, everyone can pick out either a Keurig or air fryer for Christmas.
Me: [Sister] has both a Keurig and Air fryer already.
Mom: Well she can pick something else out then.

Main uses: So my sister does thinks like raviolis and cheese sticks in hers that my kids eat when they are there. So snacky foods for them. But I am really excited to do veggies in it. But other than that I dont know but looks like I am going to find out.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-18-2021), Llee (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I'm going to check Costco this weekend. Because I'm dumb enough to go to Costco the the Saturday before Thanksgiving.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #14
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t get a Hamilton Beech. The only reason I didn’t yeet it off the back deck was because I didn’t want to pickup smashed pieces

I replaced it with an instant pot air fryer and love it

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I bought a Ninja double basket and am returning it. For a family of 7 we need a much bigger one. I can't do things in two 35 minutes batches. I am looking for one one with several racks and a door in front, not baskets. I'll keep it in my back closet when not in use.

I was looking at ranges last weekend and when I get a new one, I'm hoping to get one with a convection option. That's what an air fryer is, a counter top convection oven.
My oven has a convection setting. I did NOT know this!!
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
knitlove (11-19-2021)