Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:01 AM   #1
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sunscreen fail? extra sunny?

OK, this is just weird, and I also feel like I should be "expert level" with all of this because I live in FL.

I normally buy the "natural" brand of sunscreens. I have a lot of it. It gets tucked away in many places. Some in the house, some lives in the car, some in the beach bag, etc.

But we actually don't wear it much. Usually we go to the beach in the late afternoons, and not for very long. Because of 1) having a lot and 2) not wearing it much, I've had most of my tubes for a few years now.

But we went to the beach for the day on July 5. My sister and her family came to visit. We all used my sunscreen. (Badger tinted for the face, and Babyganics brand on the upper body. Nothing on legs.)

DH never wears sunscreen, and didn't that day. We'll call him the "control group."

We all re-applied more frequently than usual - about every 1-2 hours. We also spent more time in the water than usual. It was a GREAT day!! (We have umbrellas to sit under for when we are out of the water.)

We are all burned. (Nobody got sunburn, or even tan, on the legs because the legs were in the water most of the time.) I'm pretty sure nobody blistered. (Increased acne in the teens due to all of the greasing up! Could be a blister or two in there that I don't know about.) Except, Kitten and I have blistered, burned, and swollen lips, which has just never happened before. We have fish lips! (And also odd - they didn't swell until 2 days after!) DH didn't burn as much as the rest of us.

So, what is going on? Is all of my sunscreen expired? Was it just extra sunny that day? I mean, we see this happening to the tourists. You can always know the tourists by their red burns on top of the very white skin. We see this right after winter! I figured they just weren't wearing sunscreen, but maybe their sunscreen is failing too?

Normally my sunscreen works, but it really has been a very long time since we've spent that long at the beach. We normally don't spend all day because we just go when we want. Having guests, we stayed a lot longer.

We all have a base tan.

I really would like to know others' experiences with sunscreen, and especially natural ones. It seems to me that "barrier products" (with zinc and titanium dioxide) couldn't really "expire" because I don't think those things would break down. But, I don't know why it all failed???

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:04 AM   #2
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunscreen fail? extra sunny?

We've had sunscreen fail before. It was like chemical burns! We're used to sun too in Texas. But this was a store brand regular sunscreen. Nothing natural.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
KarenBoo (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience with natural sunscreens you have to reapply every 30 minutes or they fail.

After the first 30 minutes we wear long sleeve rash guards with SPF 50 protection and keep our legs in the water or under a shade as much as possible. If we keep the rash guards wet we're perfectly comfortable (maybe even cold) even on hot beach days (we live in Flordia now too) At the beach, after the first hour (they all have a solid base tan and I like them to get as much uninterrupted Vitamin D as possible) I put the zinc oxide natural stuff under my kids eyes, on their chins and foreheads every 30 minutes. My littlest is fair and I'm terrified of burning him so I slather his hands and lower legs a few times too just in case. One time we were at the beach the entire day and the girls upper legs got a bit crisped because they were kneeling in the shallows a lot with the top of their legs exposed but that was in NJ and only happened once.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

We apply 20 minutes prior to water exposure or they are useless, IME. We apply prior to going.

I do think they probably do expire though.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #5
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
We apply 20 minutes prior to water exposure or they are useless, IME. We apply prior to going.

I do think they probably do expire though.
I was researching that part, and my understanding is that the barrier products are effective immediately. Have you accidentally "experimented" with the barrier products and found that it's helpful to wait that 20 minutes?

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
Old 07-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I throw all my sunscreen out at the end of summer and buy fresh every spring. I've gotten horrible burns from using last year's tube/can.

My favorite is Alba Botanica Hawaii-safe SPF 50. I burn very easily. On me, it really does last 80 minutes in the water. Other brands I reapply hourly.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (07-08-2021), KarenBoo (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Colorado where the altitude causes you to burn more quickly. I use Badger sunscreen for exposed areas but I also cover up because otherwise I will burn regardless of reapplying sunscreen. I wear long sleeved rash guard, swim leggings, and sunhat whenever I am on/in the water.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (07-08-2021), knitlove (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

A few days ago my husband and I got a mild burn being outside all day in 70 degree weather in the northern US. My husband keeps saying the sun is getting stronger and I'm starting to wonder if he is right.
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (07-08-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I do believe the suns affects are changing not sure why or how.

I burn horribly and especially with water. I’m
Also chronically Vitamin D deficient even in the summer .

I attempt To Go Out every sunny day regardless of temperature and spend 20 minutes in indirect sunlight in a sports bra and biker shorts every day on the privacy of my deck. I just did this Sunday even though it was only 40 degrees. I am considering a heated Blanket to sit on for Winter as long as it is sunny

I also walk around in sundresses and I think I’m Going To get A parasol next year to Avoid excessive use of sunscreen. I apply after 20 minutes and reapply every hour if I’m outside

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Putting Admin Hat On

A post was removed from this thread for admin review.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (11-12-2021), KarenBoo (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 03:54 PM   #11
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

Thank you Lisa! I didn't know what to make of that post, and actually, I didn't know how to bring it to the attention of an admin.

The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBoo View Post
Thank you Lisa! I didn't know what to make of that post, and actually, I didn't know how to bring it to the attention of an admin.

It was spam. Report button is the fastest way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (11-12-2021), KarenBoo (11-12-2021), twoplustwo (11-13-2021)