Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #16
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Substituting whole wheat in muffins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
How do you get them out oof the pan with the top intact?

If my muffins ever spill.over on to the flat of the muffin tin they are doomed to be broken and misshapen because I can't get them out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
IDK, they just come out.

I use paper muffin cups rather than oil or spray.
I DO wait until they are cool, I mean they are still warm but wait at least 20 minutes before I attempt.
They tend to grow together - so I do use a knife (butter) to slice between muffins so they are all separate before I remove them.
I remove them before I glaze them.
I put the knife under the muffin top first.
Then they just pop right out with a knife (butter). I do go slowly.

The only time I had a top rip off is if I get impatient and try to remove them too soon. 15 minutes is too soon for sure.

There are lots of mentions in the instructions of fold not mix, do not overmix etc. Maybe it all binds together if you don't mix them too much? I have no idea . . . I just follow the directions and it works out. I am not a natural baker I never baked before becoming a mother. Growing up we did store bought cakes (from the sara lee . . . whats it called. . . discount place?) or from a box and cookies from a tube. I DO enjoy baking though. I am hoping now that I am back in the routine (did it A LOT more when the kids were younger) - I keep it up for snack foods for the ravenous monsters my precious teenagers.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:47 AM   #17
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

That's huge! Looks good, too.

I had a couple of thoughts about the whole wheat flour. Whole wheat takes longer to absorb moisture, so if you wanted to try increasing the percentage, you could let the batter sit for 20 minutes before portioning and baking. Add an extra tablespoon or two of milk and see if that increases the rise.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (04-19-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #18
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
That's huge! Looks good, too.

I had a couple of thoughts about the whole wheat flour. Whole wheat takes longer to absorb moisture, so if you wanted to try increasing the percentage, you could let the batter sit for 20 minutes before portioning and baking. Add an extra tablespoon or two of milk and see if that increases the rise.
I will try that with the next round (ds ate 2 with his berries, banana, 2 egg omelet again today) so I am sure it won't be long before we need more AND he grows another inch.

Thanks.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
Old 04-17-2020, 06:51 AM   #19
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
IDK, they just come out.

I use paper muffin cups rather than oil or spray.
I DO wait until they are cool, I mean they are still warm but wait at least 20 minutes before I attempt.
They tend to grow together - so I do use a knife (butter) to slice between muffins so they are all separate before I remove them.
I remove them before I glaze them.
I put the knife under the muffin top first.
Then they just pop right out with a knife (butter). I do go slowly.

The only time I had a top rip off is if I get impatient and try to remove them too soon. 15 minutes is too soon for sure.

There are lots of mentions in the instructions of fold not mix, do not overmix etc. Maybe it all binds together if you don't mix them too much? I have no idea . . . I just follow the directions and it works out. I am not a natural baker I never baked before becoming a mother. Growing up we did store bought cakes (from the sara lee . . . whats it called. . . discount place?) or from a box and cookies from a tube. I DO enjoy baking though. I am hoping now that I am back in the routine (did it A LOT more when the kids were younger) - I keep it up for snack foods for the ravenous monsters my precious teenagers.
When water and wheat combine, gluten is formed. Mixing increases the gluten activation. That's good in yeast breads, but in muffins and quick breads, you want a soft texture; if you overmix a dough it produces tough muffins.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (04-17-2020), Quiteria (04-19-2020), twoplustwo (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #20
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
When water and wheat combine, gluten is formed. Mixing increases the gluten activation. That's good in yeast breads, but in muffins and quick breads, you want a soft texture; if you overmix a dough it produces tough muffins.
Of course. . . I totally know that . . because I watch the Great British Baking Show. . . lol! I just forgot.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Old 04-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #21
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Of course. . . I totally know that . . because I watch the Great British Baking Show. . . lol! I just forgot.
If you choose to let the dough hydrate is when you might windy to think about subing parking powder from baking soda. Baking soda starts releasing gas when in contact with water where as baking powder also starts releasing gas again when it is activated by the heat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (04-17-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 01:33 AM   #22
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Try this for sky high muffins--
Start at 425°F for five minutes. Then drop the temperature to the stated baking temp. You'll have to check to determine the final cooking time as it will be less but the initial blast of heat should make them rise really high, even with some added WW. You can find more on this at Sally's Baking Addiction.

Another option is to order whole wheat pastry flour.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (04-20-2020), twoplustwo (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 04:54 AM   #23
twoplustwo

I will try one o rmore of these tricks to see if I can keep the whole wheat and keep the RISE.

This upcoming week: Pineapple Coconut and Almond Cranberry . . .and now I am almost out of Cranberries so have to buy more of that but need them for the cookies in the other thread.

And I have Almonds left over from an Asian Salad I made this week. And coconut still left from one of the Christmas cookies I make.

We already buy 1-2 pineapples a week for the RAvenous monsters dc.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)